BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Your support makes a difference...BoneSmartie Member

Industry changes have drastically reduced orthopedic partner contributions, which for 13+ years supported the operation and development of BoneSmart.org.

Our patient-focused articles and world-class joint replacement community forum have helped millions of people. Your gift today provides the important funds necessary to keep this valuable resource online.

Donate Now
    Dismiss Notice

[THR] JJ's recovery thread (14.02.17)

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by JenJuniper, Feb 13, 2017.

1. JenJuniper

JenJuniper Junior Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for that @leejaa, I may have to resort to antihistamines then if it doesn't stop soon!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

2. Delphi

Delphi Member

Thanks @JenJuniper, and glad to hear that you are back home safely. Rest ,relax and recuperate now!

3. JenJuniper

JenJuniper Junior Member

Update day 5:

Pain in still at 0-1, which is managed by Paracetamol 1000mg every 5 hours. I still am taking codeine at night.
    Sleep is just amazing! Did 9 hours last night, so fully back on track which is making a world of difference!
    Still napping and resting in the day too though.

That damn rash is still there and spreading!! now completely around my groin area, and under and above wound plaster. I've taken @leejaa advice and sent the OH to the shop to get some antihistamines so I'm taking one every 4 hours now. Doctors on Monday if it's not clearing up!

I'd been having showers since day 2 and now I'm at home. Although I feel steady, I'm just making OH be around in the bedroom just in case for a few more days.

So overall, nothing really to report now. After 5 days pain has steadied and is manageable on just paracetamol mostly. I am hoping this will be it now and daily i just work on pottering around the house, increasing walks (I may attempt a walk outside down our little cul de sac next week!), keep resting lots and getting more into a daily routine.
    I think I'll stop posting daily now as the major events have been and gone (hopefully!) and stick to a weekly update which will hopefully be of use to some.
    Looking forward to hearing updates from those February Valentines hippies! Take care all x

4. Delphi

Delphi Member

How are you doing @JenJuniper ? Have you managed to sort out the rash? Hope all is well x

5. JenJuniper

JenJuniper Junior Member

Morning everyone, just checking in with my 2 week update!

Between weeks 1 and 2 I have been mostly doing.... nothing! Legs up, ice, pottering around the house. It has been so hard as I feel I could do things but I do believe that it has got me to where I am now....on no medication and having no pain.
    Don't get me wrong, the incision is uncomfortable to sit on at times (posterior) and I get tired being on my legs at times, I have restless legs occasionally at night, I'm confined by surgeon to 2 crutches for 6 weeks, rehab is lonely (!), I get worn out quickly, sleeping on your back is no fun, but everything is generally good!

Incision is now a thin white line around 6"long (the unveiling at day 10 was a big moment!)

Weather here has been rubbish so a couple of days I have dived outside when there has been a break in the rain, and walked up and down the driveway. (Could do more walking, but not pushing it)

To be honest, im playing everything very conservatively at the moment, and feeling the benefits of it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. sammylou99

sammylou99 Member

Great to hear you are healing well Jen! Was wondering how you are doing! Am similar to you I think although still quite painful by the end of the day and when the meds start to wear off but I'm walking lots on one crutch so probably something to do with it!! So nice to be up and about and am still marvelling at the lack of knee pain that I had before the operation!! I wonder why you are on two crutches for 6 weeks? The surgeons are all so different aren't they? Mine has encouraged me to move to one as soon as the leg felt stable which I have. I worry that it's uncemented but he said it is very stable in there as long as I stick to restrictions so hopefully it's ok! Hard to gauge how much or little to do really so looking forward to my appointment next week to get more info.
    Still struggling back sleeping too but now get 3 hour bursts which is much better than it was!! The feeling of golf balls in my bum is gradually fading too lol!!!!
    The sun is out today which is so nice!! Am planning a little potter outside will be so good to get fresh air!!
    Hope you continue to do so well.
    Catch up soon,
    Sam xxx

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  7. JenJuniper

JenJuniper Junior Member

Hi Sam
    Great to hear your recovery is going to plan as well!!
    2 crutch thing is my surgeons preference (think I explained it in a previous post). I'm at physio check up next week too so like you wondering if there is anything else I can start doing or to just continue as I am.
    I really feel for you not sleeping! I sleep on my back anyway so my sleeping had been ok since the first few days, (albeit the numbing feeling of not moving all night!) but I know I'd be a nightmare if I was sleeping like you!
    Aw enjoy you potter later! My neighbours have been laughing at me doing laps of the driveway!! I have resorted to opening our patio doors (in this freezing weather!) just to get the feel of fresh air when I'm feeling cooped up!!
    Had a go at preparing a stew for dinner this morning, sat at the worktop on a stool cutting carrots....,and watching the pieces ping all over the floor! Oh how I laughed... the little things that are so difficult right now!!

Take care
    X

• Like Like x 1
  8. Delphi

Delphi Member

Hi Jen,
    Good to hear that you are so much further on now.I am day 5 today and slower in recovery than you, but optimistic that I will get there eventually. Keep on doing what you're doing. Think being good at snoozing seems a major advantage in this recovery!
    Take care and hope things continue to go well xx

9. JenJuniper

JenJuniper Junior Member

Hope everyone's recoveries are going well!
    Here's my week 3 update:

1. Treated myself to a manicure/pedicure this week.. oh how nice it was have a little treat!
    2. Still injecting clexane every day. Hate it. 8 more to go! Tummy covered in tiny bruises... I'm obviously not very good at it!
    3. Doing more in house this week....standing to prepare food, tidying up etc
    4. I had my 1st leg shave!!! Bless my lovely other half who was the poor person who had to do it! But boy it feels good!!!
    5. Had my one off physio appt today. I'm rolling my good hip inwards on walking, so I'm having to work quite hard from now on keep my pelvis straight. Really interesting session, mostly talking rather than exercising. So the focus for the next 3 weeks is short (15 min) walks 2 x day with a focus on quality good gait rather than distance.
    I have tight muscles at front of my bad hip which I think has been caused by using 2 pillows to support my leg at night... they are going now! She didn't give me any exercises as such, but just to work on using my quads to raise myself off seats rather than my hands, along with one exercise to lengthen my muscles at front of hip. A couple of times a day will be sufficient. I have muscle loss already and my bad leg is skinnier than the other.
    She wants to see me again at 6 weeks after I see consultant, to check my gait.

So all in all a good week! Looking forward to a more structured approach to my day from now on

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Sounds like you are doing really well! That PT sounds great as well. What exercise did they give you to lengthen the muscles in the front of your hip? That's a problem for many of us who limped around pre-op.

11. sammylou99

sammylou99 Member

All sounds great Jen!! Am very jealous of the leg shave - have just ordered a shaver with a long handle on Amazon so I can attempt mine lol!! Can't wait!!! (The little things eh!!) and I am going to take a leaf out if your book and get a pedi! Good to start feeling a bit more human!! My physio told me quality of gait is most important too. She told me not to give up the one crutch and hobble around as that does nothing for the muscles and that much better to keep going with one (and two out of the house) and build a nice steady gait). Have to really concentrate on that! Mine had me trying to stand facing the handrail at the stairs and go up one step on my operated leg but I couldn't do it without massive pain where I slipped on the weekend so not trying that one for a bit!! Also lying on my side and trying to raise the operated leg - so hard!!! Hope the exercises go well :)
    Sam x

12. Delphi

Delphi Member

What a positive update ,Jen ! Glad to hear you are getting on so well. When you raise up off seats, do you still need to keep your bad leg outstretched, and use your good for leverage, or have you progressed to using both equally? X

13. JenJuniper

JenJuniper Junior Member

@sammylou99 haha yes the little things!!!! Oooo may look at getting one of those shavers.... great idea!! Pedicure was amazing...foot scrub, massage.... just bliss!!!
    It's really hard to concentrate on my gait but I am determined to sort it!!

@Delphi ! Yes, still got to keep bad leg outstretched as I still have the restrictions, but got to try and move weight evenly through both legs as I rise up. I'm ok with a chair where I'm sat at more than 90 degrees, but a level chair, I'm not quite there yet... it's hard, those poor neglected muscles!

That exercise for the front of the hip was a standing kick back?

14. Horseshoe

Horseshoe Senior

United States United States
    Good tips, I'm also interested in stretching the front quads, @Jaycey , my PT advised lying on my stomach (on myr bed) and gently bending one knee at at a time towards back of my head. This wouldn't hyper extending the hip either (I had anterior).

15. JenJuniper

JenJuniper Junior Member

I'm finally at 6 weeks!!!!!

I am an active, sporty 41 year old who has literally been climbing the walls over the last 6 weeks. However, i have stuck by my consultants requests..I have done very little, I have laid and sat, I have walked a little, I have done next to no exercises, I have been on 2 crutches for the whole time ... the result.......
    pain free over the whole recovery period, and a lovely gait and walk unaided at 6 weeks.

Boy, it was hard sat around but I have a hip that needs to last and I have given it the best start.

Consultant was very pleased today at my 6 week check, no issues with anything and see him in 10.5 months time.
    Physio was very pleased with the improvements in my gait over the last 3 weeks and says I am walking just fine!

So GENTLE reintroduction to life without restrictions starts today.... oooo not sure whether I'm more excited about side sleeping or painting my toenails!!!!

Hope my February friends are keeping and progressing well x

16. sammylou99

sammylou99 Member

Yay!! Fantastic!!! That's great news Jen. You've done so well :) now the fun begins!! I think the going slowly for the first 6 weeks makes such a difference to a pain free recovery (learnt the hard way!!) So happy for you (and jealous re toenails lol) I go for my 6 week check up on Thursday afternoon and am hoping I have restrictions lifted then as want to put my own socks on and have a bath!!! Great to hear your update.
    All the best,
    Sam xxx

17. JenJuniper

JenJuniper Junior Member

Hi Sam looking forward to an equally positive update for you Thursday... I'll be checking in to see your update!!
    Oh indeed the fun begins... trying to prise myself away from daytime tv to get mobile. I'm lucky that my recovery programme includes 12 weeks of gym membership, so awaiting the referral to be done from my physio and hopefully some gentle swimming and gentle exercises will now replace the daily mind numbing routine!
    Off surfing the internet to get a new swimming cossie... xx

18. Delphi

Delphi Member

Well done you!!! So happy to read your very positive update! I have fretted at times comparing how little I was doing in comparison to others, but as you say, when I have followed that advice, my pain has been minimal. I am so pleased for you Jen! Lucky you getting the gym membership- enjoy and don't overdo it!
    Good luck with the next phase and go and wow them with that new cossie!
    Take care of yourself,
    Diane xx

19. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Good job with your recovery! I know it's difficult to curb your activity for weeks on end. But as you've shown so well, it does have its benefits --- less pain and many times a much smoother recovery!