It's been a while since I posted... I had a pretty standard recovery for those who remember my thread... I did very little for 10 weeks, (was on crutches for 6 weeks), my choice and consultants recommendations...which I put down to the rapid progress I am making now at 15. 5 weeks.
It wasn't all plain sailing though, emotionally rather than physically, and I a confidence blip around the 6-10 week mark where I suddenly became petrified to do anything in case I 'damaged' my hip. Any little mild pain after walking I was convincing myself things were going wrong, and this ended up stopping me from doing anything [emoji22]
This was a tough time for me and after a brilliant first few weeks, this dropped on me like a ton of bricks.
However, out the other end, I returned to work at the 12 week point, and have a fantastic employer who supports a gradual return to work over the next 12 weeks, enabling me to take my time, keep up my fitness with a full time return to work at 6 month point. (I have a job that requires a good level of fitness)
I have joined a gym, have a static bike at home and with the support and guidance of physio's, I have been given my confidence back to push myself back into exercise and they have shown me that I am young (41), fit and able to do this.
Every day now I will be doing some sort of exercise....at the most I will undertake strength work, then an hour of non weight bearing cardio (cross trainer or bike or a swim) and a 4 mile walk. Other days it's a mix of things. This is all without any pain.
Yes I am young (ish), was fit before (albeit no athlete!) and had no issues in recovery, and so I'm not suggesting everyone will be at my point at 15 weeks! But I do believe the conservative approach i took in early recovery has let me 'hit the ground running' now!!
Talking about running, I am not doing any of this right now, and concentrating on building up glutes and quads to protect my hip.
Day to day life at almost 4 months out now is pretty normal, the back pain pre-op has gone, I forget I have an artificial hip (!) and there's nothing really I can't do!
Hello my February friends
@Delphi,
@sammylou99 and
@Kathy0427 and I hope your recoveries are going well.
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum