BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Your support makes a difference...BoneSmartie Member

Industry changes have drastically reduced orthopedic partner contributions, which for 13+ years supported the operation and development of BoneSmart.org.

Our patient-focused articles and world-class joint replacement community forum have helped millions of people. Your gift today provides the important funds necessary to keep this valuable resource online.

Donate Now
    Dismiss Notice

[THR] JJ's recovery thread (14.02.17)

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by JenJuniper, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Kathy0427

Kathy0427 Junior Member

United States United States
    @JenJuniper wow! So great to hear from you already . You have no idea how much you helped me with that note! I am SO glad to hear they took care to make you comfortable. Right now I feel so vulnerable I am afraid if I don't like someone's tone I will run for the exit . Just kidding: I am sure my husband would run me down. I think he is just tired of trying to calm me. I will make sure to let you know what happens tomorrow.
    I am so impressed with the fact you felt awake and alert almost immediately and you walked with discomfort and not pain. What a blessing to anticipate! What a Happy, Happy Valentines Day for you! God bless!
    Hopefully I will be able to be as positive as you tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

2. JenJuniper

JenJuniper Junior Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Kathy0427 glad to help as others have helped me!

Haha! I totally get you about running for the exit... any little thing was going to set me off! Bless our other half's.... I think I pushed mine to sympathetic breaking point on the last day!!!! But that's what they are there for!
    You've heard it probably a million times now... but it's not as bad as you'll be expecting!

I think you are still on the 14th over in the US? So sending lots of happy and healing thoughts for tomorrow and wishing you all the best!

Looking forward to hearing how you get on

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

3. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Sounds like you are doing really well @JenJuniper ! Just nap when you can throughout the day. Ask for ice if you have any discomfort.

4. JenJuniper

JenJuniper Junior Member

Update day 2:
    Had a blip with a bit of pain/dizziness/ nausea at 5am this morning, but resolved and back on track with the meds. I think the local anaesthetic they loaded my hip/leg with (as didn't have spinal) wore off at once but they got it under control quickly.

They got me up for a shower this morning, which was nice to freshen up.

Had a wander with physio down the corridor to the lift, then transferred to chair and taken for some X-rays to be done. Longest walk I've done, but actually feels better being up and about'.

Caught up on sleep this afternoon that I missed out on last night.

Consultant says I will be on crutches for 6 weeks. This is something to do with not overloading the joint too early and giving the non cement cup the best opportunity and environment to grow bone on. (Think that's what he said! I'm sure it will make sense to some!)

Also got to have daily injections into my stomach for the next month. This is something I wasn't aware of (blood thinner?) so got taught how to do that today. Doesn't hurt and easy to do

Had a couple of emotional blubs since the op, but they soon passed and generally feeling pretty good!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd Graduate

Glad to hear how well you are doing! And that you can do the shot in the stomach and not be freaked out. I would be a basket case with that one. :)

6. JenJuniper

JenJuniper Junior Member

@Tweetybrd ... thanks!
    The look on my face when she told me I'd be doing it! it was a picture! 'I didn't sign up to this' lol!

Reading your thread and seeing how much you've been out and about (great news!)....makes me look forward to the next stage of my recovery!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kathy0427

Kathy0427 Junior Member

@JenJuniper well here I am on the other side. I have had quite the roller coaster of emotions on this journey, as my"excellent" surgeon proved to have a less than warm bedside manner today pre op. In short terms he was basically very angry that I was questioning the Lovenox regime my hematologist wanted me to follow . Told me I would /could/ die of a hip infection if I followed the regimen the hematologist prescribed immediately post op.
    ( high dual dose 120ml./.8 Enoxaparin (Lovenox per day for 7 days.) he told me that " he is the boss here and if I didn't follow HIS directions, I could still get out of the surgery. "wrote the prescription for But I seem to have gotten through surgery as planned - no surprises - and already went for the little post op walk. It sounds like you are doing smashingly and have that excellent positive attitude that will serve you in good stead as your recovery progresses. Thank you for the warm wishes and prayers. Hope to keep in touch as we go down this road together .

8. Kathy0427

Kathy0427 Junior Member

Sorry, hit the send button while still editing - about be doesn't make much sense, haha! Anyway, the dose my hematologist prescribed was 120ml/.8 mg of Enoxaparin . This is the dose my ortho said would cause a hip infection. I am5'10" and 245 lbs. If you remember- I had a DVT in August of 2015, so it's probably more important for me - than most hippies- to get the right dose of an anticoagulant . Anyway, after threatening to bag the whole thing because I dared to question his recommendation for only a half dose of my regular Coumadin based medicine on the prescription for that large dose of Enoxaparin (Lovenox, generic) from my hematologist , he went ahead with the surgery. Seemed to be straightforward, but ortho only talked to my husband- not me- post surgery. After that confrontation pre surgery, I am dreading even seeing him tomorrow, sic!
    Has anyone had any experience with two"specialty " docs been at odds about post treatment with anti coagulation ? Anyway - that's my basic story.
    Thanks for your wishes and the wonderful strength this forum gives me to have faith in myself and be my own advocate.
    Kathy

9. Clipper

Clipper Member

@Kathy0427 My OS has gone away from blood thinners post-op. The complications and side effects they cause outweigh their advantage. An aspirin a day is now what he prescribes along with teds, heel pumps, and other exercises. This worked for me after both THR's. The contrast between what your OS prescribes and what mine prescribed are sort of confusing.

It seems like different doctors prescribe different meds for identical operations. If doctors prescribe different medications, which ones are right? I would be wary of complications from the blood thinner meds based on what I understand. Why not an aspirin a day?

My OS also prescribed a lot of meds for post op nausea, pain, inflammation, and constipation. These were prescribed in case I needed them. I bought them to be ready but ended up not taking most of them. Why take pain and nausea meds when you're not in pain and not nauseated? Cramp, inflammation, and constipation meds helped the most and I took about half of them. In other words, I didn't follow a medication regime just because my OS prescribed those meds.

These are just thoughts I offer to think about before deciding to follow a medication regime. Maybe you could get opinions from other surgeons, especially about the blood thinner.

Best of luck for a speedy recovery.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  10. JenJuniper

JenJuniper Junior Member

@Kathy0427 so glad to hear from you! I've just woken up on day 3 (16.2.17) of my recovery and thought I hadn't heard from you and was intending to message you to see if everything was ok, so really pleased to see you've posted when I checked in this morning on here!
    I'm so sorry you've had a negative experience with the surgeon what horrible words that really weren't necessary or appropriate, poor you!!
    it's the last thing you needed at that time! ... but good on you for having the strength of mind pre op to say your piece.
    So pleased you're out the other end safely and successfully and had the 'first walk' haha! It's a great empowering feeling isn't it?
    Your time with the surgeon will be minimal now, so as long as the nursing staff are fab, you'll be just fine!
    Take care and happy healing thoughts to you! Keep in touch and let me know how you're getting on!

11. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Gosh, that's a long time. Both my hips are uncemented and I never had this restriction. Interesting how different surgeons have their own protocol.
    I had these after my RTHR. Hated them! But you are right. They are easy to do once you are taught how.

Sounds like you are doing well @JenJuniper !

12. JenJuniper

JenJuniper Junior Member

I know @Jaycey, it's interesting indeed how advice differs! However we all get to a similar place in the end!
    It's something to do with the getting the optimum level of bone growth on the cap/socket which will occur with a percentage of weight/friction on joint, which is best achieved by restricting a little how much you're weight bearing for a few weeks. (My simple understanding of it I'm sure it's a bit more technical than that!)
    It's him being cautious as I'm 41 and wanting to ensure that I have the best opportunities to 'set up' my hip to hopefully ensure it lasts a good length of time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JenJuniper

JenJuniper Junior Member

Update day 3:
    Pretty good night sleep, no pain in waking.
    They got me up for another shower, and I did an up/down stairs with the physio.
    Consultant came in again and ok'd me for definitely going home.
    Stopped oxicontin... last one was at midnight last night so paracetamol 1000mg and codeine are managing the pain right now (and doing well at it!)

Back to physio to check on gait in 3 weeks and then back to consultant in 6 weeks.
    Got dissolvable stitches so just got to take dressing off on a week.
    So currently at home and being looked after by family

• Like Like x 1
  14. sammylou99

sammylou99 Member

Glad to hear you are home and doing well!! Great your pain is being managed so well. Enjoy being back home with the family, nothing better!!
    Sam x

• Like Like x 1
  15. JenJuniper

JenJuniper Junior Member

Thanks @sammylou99
    Not long now for you! Hope you're doing ok in final countdown week x

16. Cherdonnay

Cherdonnay Member

17. Delphi

Delphi Member

Hi @JenJuniper . Thank you so much for your upbeat and positive reporting of your experience so far. I am due to have a RTHR next week and have been reading various posts on this site and others in a state of silent terror. More than anything else I have read, your cheerful and pragmatic approach has helped to calm my nerves and assist me in preparing for the op in the right frame of mind. Wishing you a continued smooth and comfortable recovery. Thanks again, Diane

18. JenJuniper

JenJuniper Junior Member

@Delphi hi Diane, aww thank you! It seemed right to make an effort to post a sort of diary to give back to the forum, when I have taken so much from it over the last few months.
    I also tended to get myself worked up about every little detail of the surgery, and haven't had much surgery in the past (wisdom teeth and that's about it!) so it worries me. Although my posts are down to every little detail and may be tedious for some to read, the hope was that it would help those, like me, who wanted to know a step by step account of the first few days. I appreciate everyone's doctors approach, surgery and recovery are different but just wanted to get down my experiences to be there in case anyone needed it!
    Good luck next week and I'll be keeping an eye out to see how you're getting on! X

19. JenJuniper

JenJuniper Junior Member

Update day 4:
    The first full day being back at home!
    It's soooo hard to rest! I just want to tidy up, put a load of washing on, empty the dishwasher... the list of stuff goes on! Luckily I have family here with me keeping me rested with my feet up!!!
    Had a great night sleep last night....8 hours . I usually sleep on my back anyway so this hasn't been an issue for me.
    Couple of little negatives on recovery (just so you all don't think life's a beach for my recovery!!!)
    1. Bowel movement. With stress, didn't have a movement for 2 days before surgery, and am now 4 days post surgery. Nothing for 6 days! Have been taken some solution for this for the last 3 days and finally today everything moved! (If you know what I mean!!!)

2. I have 2 small patches of small blisters above and below my wound dressing (2" away). They are really itchy and driving me crazy. Nurse thinks it's an allergic reaction from the adhesive on the drapes, so sudocream is being used at the mo to relieve them. Anyone else had this?

Finally as keeping on track with meds and timings is so important, and I am useless at remembering stuff! I downloaded a free app from the Apple Playstore for my mobile phone which I type in all my medication, and when I should take it, and it rings a little alarm when I should take them. It has been a godsend! As someone who doesn't take medication normally it has been fab to keep me in a routine of taking them! It's called Medisafe.

Pain levels currently 0 on rest, 1 when I move. Still good
    Walking today has just been around the house just to do normal activities e.g. Lunch, toilet etc.

20. leejaa

leejaa Post-Grad

I had itching down my thigh and around the wound that was so bad along with a hive like reaction. Had to take Benadryl to get it to stop per OS. They thought it was most likely reaction to the cleanse. Interesting since I had no reaction with my knee replacement surgeries but our bodies sometimes have a mind of their own.