JJ's recovery thread (14.02.17)

Jen so great to hear your update! Sounds like you are doing fantastically well. I'm so happy for you! And sounds like your work are sensible about your recovery too which is great.
I'm doing really well too. Back to walking 5 miles a day with the dog. I do still get an ache in my left bum cheek by the end of the day. I think it's mainly because I had become so unfit pre op although I was still walking but limping a lot. Now it's all straightened out it's taking time to strengthen the muscles. But so liberating to walk pain free again!! I'm signed off from physio after last appt next week and am looking forward to building up my fitness gradually over the summer. Will be down in Cornwall for a lot of it so the hills will be a good workout [emoji23]!!
Hope you have a wonderful summer and great to hear your news!
Sam xxxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I suddenly became petrified to do anything in case I 'damaged' my hip. Any little mild pain after walking I was convincing myself things were going wrong,
Hi JJ. I am starting to get a bit paranoid about pains that come up after activity, or for that matter inactivity. Good to know it is something to be worked through. I'm at 4 1/2 weeks and will check out how things went with you. Continued success as you get back to your life!
 
Hi Jen,
Really great to hear from you and to read about your fantastic progress! I was only thinking about you this last week and wondering how you were getting on. I am so impressed and pleased for you that you can do so much. You have inspired me to try pushing myself a little more. I am doing okay, walking a couple of miles most days and swimming about 40 to 50 lengths of a smallish pool a few times a week, but I haven't got on my bike yet. Nor do I feel 'normal' yet, so still plugging away at stair climbing. Will get there eventually I hope!
You have been really fortunate that your employer is so educated and understanding about your return to full time work. I'm sure that approach is best if your work allows it.
I am off on holiday to Portugal this week, so looking forward to the sunshine and beaches , swimming and walking, not to mention the food and vino! Hope you also have some good things planned over the Summer and enjoy yourself without having to think about your hip!
Look after yourself and let us know how you're getting on,
Diane xx
 
@JenJuniper This was so interesting to read. I am yet to get a date, but when I do have my surgery done I shall try and remember your approach to recovery and force myself to slow down. It certainly seems to have paid off for you. Just the thought of being able to go for a nice 4 mile walk again... :flwrysmile:
 
Happy 1 year anniversary to my Valentines hip!

Yes a whole year has passed since my THR, and just popping in to give and update and say hi to @Delphi and @sammylou99 if they are still on the forums! I hope you are doing well girls!

I’ve had a very smooth recovery and life is pretty much back to normal now. I am and have been back at work full time since the 6 month point, doing a very active job with no issues. Exercise wise, whilst I choose not to run anymore, I have a new love of walking and regularly walk 7 miles around the lovely countryside around here. Life changes, but the THR has given me new opportunities which I have grabbed!
I do have a little start up pain sometimes in the morning when I get up but nothing a couple of ibuprofen won’t sort! It seems the joint just needs warming up and once im up and about, everything is fine. I definitely feel the benefits of being more active and keeping moving and this seems to keep stiffness at bay.
I have my annual check up next week with the consultant, however not expecting any dramas but it will be nice to finally close the door on this experience with a clean bill of health (hopefully!!).... lol until the other one needs doing!!
I was a relatively young patient (41 at the time) and although very active, took a very conservative approach to my recovery, which i feel worked well for me and got me through this journey with minimal issues.

Good luck to anyone going through THR today! A Valentine’s date with a consultant is one to remember
 
Congrats on your One Year Anniversary!
I'd say a date with the consultant on Valentines Day is a great gift, especially when you hear
"time to fly free bird" and you're released to jump fully back into life. Yahoo!

Your update is timely as we have a few 40 somethings currently who've just experienced THR.
It is encouragement to them and the rest of us to read of your wonderful recovery.
Hope your Valentines Day is lovely! :loveshwr:
@JenJuniper
 
Thanks for the update @JenJuniper. It is good to hear the long term results. I especially found your conservative approach to recovery to be very helpful.
 
Hi @JenJuniper ,

So pleased to see your message! Haven't been on the site for absolutely ages but went for my x-ray and check up today and thought I would catch up with everybody's news. Lo and behold - there you were! I am delighted to hear how well you are getting on. It is my one year anniversary next Friday. Don't think I am as recovered as you - I am fine with long walks and swimming etc but still ache at times and still feel that alien part isn't quite normal... however the x-ray was perfect according to my consultant. He said that scar tissue can take years to feel totally normal, so I 'll keep on trying to sleep on that side, even though it's not comfortable. I can live with the 90/95 % level I think I'm at.

Hope you are enjoying life. It's my birthday in a couple of weeks so off to the Lakes for a few days and then to Seville in April and Greece and Italy in June - lots to look forward to. The weather here has been pretty atrocious, so glad that Spring is around the corner judging by all my tulips and daffs coming up.

Hoping that @sammylou99 is also getting on well. You both helped me enormously - knowing that you were going through the same or similar experience and giving pep talks when needed! Our chats on this site gave me such a boost and great support when I was feeling less than tip- top.

Hope you both go on from strength to strength.
Keep in touch,
Love Diane x
 
Hi Diane! Wow how about that for a coincidence! I was hoping to catch up with you again on here to see how you were, so thanks for posting and it’s great to hear from you :-)
Congrats on a perfect X-ray and the all clear from the consultant!!! I think 90-95% level is pretty damn good...and we should give ourselves a break and focus on the positive, which you are so clearly doing!!! There is a little start up discomfort for me in the morning, and so I’d probably say I’m with you on the that level of recovery but like you, very very happy!
Wow you have some great trips planned! I’m going to the Peaks in a couple of weeks for a walking break, working towards my 2018 goal of getting up Snowdon! We walked yesterday and after days of walks in the freezing cold over the last few months, I walked in a tshirt and had the sun on my face... just bliss!!!
I haven’t heard from Sam but hopefully as it’s the year anniversary for us all, she may pop her head back in to say hello.
Always remember our chats and feel exactly the same as you that they provided friendship and support when I was climbing the walls with loneliness haha!!
Take care! X
 
Ahhhh girls!!!! Lovely lovely to hear you are both doing well!!! 1 yr for me today ❤️ And all is great. I feel like a new person! Similar to you both a little slow to start the day (no pain) but I think that’s the cold weather as when I was away in jan in the sun I was fine! Roll on summer.
Had my one ear check up an X-ray and it was perfect. Could see where the bone had grown into the implant. Now just 3yr check ups at the hip clinic.
Haven’t been on here for so long as have been busy reclaiming my life! Not working yet but exploring opportunities! Walking between 5-10 miles every day with my now very fit dog!! Also go to a spin class once a week. Determined to keep really fit! It definitely took6 months for me to feel normal again and I will be prepared for that next time (not for a while I hope!) but by last summer I felt great, have been sailing and am going skiing next week - conservative skiing with lots of hot toddy breaks !!!
Am so glad you are both doing well. It was literally a lifesaver having this forum and especially you two to get through the unknown. Stay in touch! Think we should organise a get together one of these days and drink wine and celebrate!!
Take care, and really great to hear from you both @Delphi @JenJuniper
Sam xxxxx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom