TKR JennyLynne’s Next Chapter

Scrip update.... Oxy and Robaxin. I think I was given robaxin after my last knee surgery too. Hope this all helps!
 
Your son sounds so sweet, perfect for a "cuddle bunny"! Tell him we all want hugs, lol.

I had my tkr a year ago January and I was pretty shocked I was only staying overnight. I had a difficult time getting into my vehicle and into my home the next day when I was released. The blocks etc. had started to wear off the same day release would have made it much easier. From My discussions with an osteoarthritis PA most replacement surgeries will soon be out patient.

My small rural hospital basically only has osteo related surgeries and there sure were cut backs. I just had hip replacement and it made me think the cuts may well be permanent.

I well remember my first few days after knee replacement and the "what in the heavens have I done" constantly streaming through my thoughts.

Hubby kept track of my meds and I was ready for another dose after 2 hours when the instructions were every 4to6 hours. They must be nuts, lol.

Hugs and best wishes for a speedy recovery!
 
Last edited:
@KneeHelp I have vivid memories of yelling at the poor volunteer to brought me in a wheelchair to my car after getting discharged from my other TKR. Getting home was brutal- a full flight of stairs too. This time was so easy, and I am grateful!
 
So glad things got worked out with the meds! I hope they work better than what you had before. I think kids just don't know how to react when moms can't do all the things! Def spend some cuddle time, it'll make it much easier on you both!
 
Had a decent night’s sleep, finally!! Slept for 3 hours, took some meds, scrolled Facebook, and then slept for another 4 hours. Only issue was that I slept through my meds and it took a couple hours this morning to get the pain back under control.

Comfortable now, just had a little breakfast, and settling in for another day. It’s beautiful here, after days of rain, so I know my husband and son will be outside most of the day. I get FOMO pretty bad- but they need and deserve some time outside!
 
Wow - you are sounding so much better. Good sleep and good meds are a great combo!

Don't worry about missing out. You will be out there with hubby and son very soon.
 
I was just checking out your story. I also have kids ( three of them 7, 10 and 12). They are in the same situation as your son. Helpful but scared.

I hope the pain is getting better:) and good luck!!
 
Sleep and diminished pain - take it any day!! :loveshwr::yes!::wow: Hope you continue on this improvement curve! There may be the occasional bump in the road, as you well know, but this is a great start!
 
Today has been foggy... Lots of rest.
Just took a much needed shower! Wiped me out but wow, it felt good!
 
PT came this morning. When she lifted my leg, I had searing pain in my inner thigh. She thinks that it was strained during surgery. It’s been bugging me but this movement really highlighted it. Good news is that it doesn’t hurt when I walk. She was able to work around it and just did some gentle stretching and had me walk around my upstairs a bit. Supposed to go to the PT clinic on Wednesday for eval. Not sure if I’m ready for that yet... To Be Determined.

Otherwise feeling ok. Meds are definitely keeping the pain at bay but I am so woozy. Need to figure out the right interval so I’m not trading pain for this groggy yucky feeling.
 
That first shower is ah-mazing and I remember quite clearly having to sit down as soon as I got out! I had to skip showers for 3 weeks due to staples, and dh washed my hair in the sink lol this time around I plan to wrap that sucker up and take a shower!

My thigh hurt much worse than my knee after surgery, so I know it was just sore from everything, but it did eventually ease off. Glad you're walking without that adding extra pain that is not needed. I hope your pt eval goes well, when I did mine if I recall, it was really just some massaging, stretching, eval on rom and extension, ice and stem treatment. Hope yours isn't too bad! Have a great Sunday and rest, rest, rest, ice, ice, ice and elevate! <3
 
If it’s like mine, the tourniquet nicely bruised your thigh and deep. I guess there’s no way around that. Plus they bend your leg in all kinds of wacky ways when they work on you and to test the new joint. 10 days out my thigh is the most painful part, and my mobility limits seem to come from that. Hopefully you’re a quick healer. The good news is that you probably have a little wiggle room on the opioids. My scrip was for 4-6 hours per dose, and as time went on, moving closer to 6 really helped with the fogginess while keeping the pain at bay. Also, if what they have you on doesn’t already include acetaminophen, you can ask your doctor about supplementing with Tylenol to stretch the opioid doses out. My pain management doctor has encouraged this as I taper off of the opioids. Good luck!
 
Yup, I remember asking about calf pain after my first knee, and the doctor went into great detail about how roughly he manipulated my leg and such. Made me sick to listen to, haha!

My friend stoped by and left 4 dinners on the porch, ready to eat or freeze. My husband was more excited than I was- he stresses so much at meal time. Especially now, when you don’t want to just “run to the store”. He’s not a planner.

We had a rainy day, and my son indulged me and watched movies in bed with me. I could tell he was antsy but he stayed a couple hours. I can hear him playing Minecraft online with his buddy now... he earned it!
 
Further to Erich's comments, I was advised the quads and the hamstrings are the first to begin to atrophy when not being used as usual. Getting them stretched is the focus of several of the low key exercises recommended on leaving the hospital - guad sets, heel pumps etc. - ALL you need to do for the first week or so, together with the normal activities you can manage.

Many do stretch their pain med intervals with acetaminophen (Tylenol). Check this article in our BoneSmart library. In short, you can take about 3000-4000 mg a day without risking liver damage. The key is to see how many mgs are in your prescription meds before you start popping Tylenol!! To wit: if your daily dose of prescription pain meds already give you 1000 mg of acetaminophen, you won't want to take more than six 500mg Tylenol during the course of the day (6 x 500 mg = 3000 mg + 1000 mg in the Rx meds. = 4000 mg) 4 might be the safer option. I used to take 2 Tylenol PM at night to help smooth out those pain breakthroughs at night.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@JennyLynne Just checking on you. Hope things are easing for you and you are getting into the "routine" of this recovery.
 
Thanks @Jaycey !

Doing ok. These meds are kicking my butt and I need to back off a bit. Added the hour back between oxy and added some Tylenol (thanks everyone for the suggestion), and taking the muscle relaxers only 2x a day.It’s like you have to pick between feeling bad from pain or feeling bad from meds!

Most importantly- the pain has been well controlled! I’m sleeping decently, and would probably nap more if not for a small visitor who seems to sniff out the moment I close my eyes (it’s well worth the wake up!).

Two days on nonstop rain hasn’t helped... hoping some sunshine brightens my mood! I feel so grumpy and that is NOT my typical vibe!
 
@JennyLynne Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm also doing a TKR at a surgery center on 5/20, the plan is for me to go home same day. But 5 hours?! That's crazy. I figured it would be more like 10 or 12.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom