TKR JennyLynne’s Next Chapter

Your entire day needs to be ice and elevation. With an occasional walk about the house. Then back to ice and elevation. Remember to eat something prior to taking pain meds.

You've been through it before, but each time its slightly different.
 
@eaglemom you are so right! This time is way different so far.

I hesitated sharing this because I don’t want to deter anyone, but this is also my diary of sorts to look back on.

Since yesterday afternoon, I have been in more pain than ever before and it is unrelenting. Hot searing pain. Percocet takes the edge off for a bit but barely.

I have never had a problem with pain management. I’ve been crying, sobbing on and off for 18 hours. And my poor son - he is scared. And my husband is helpless.

I really didn’t see this coming.
 
@JennyLynne Indeed TKR is a whole different recovery (from what I hear). Ice and elevate as much as you can. You may need your pain medication tweaked a bit. Can you call your family doctor or your surgeon's office to discuss your medication?
 
Aww girl sorry you are in so much pain. Are you taking tyelonol as well? You may just need a diff pain med as well, sometimes what works once doesn't work again. I am trying to tell myself that this knee will likely be completely different in healing, hoping for better lol not that it was terrible with the other but ya know! I hope you get some relief, praying for you.
 
Oh I hate to hear your in that much pain. A couple of thoughts: when elevating are you above your nose? Are the pillows / whatever your using arranged so your thigh is supported? How often are you taking your pain med? Take it as frequently as your can - with food. Possibly call the surgeon to see if you can add something or change the medication.

Its all overwhelming. Deep breaths..........Can you put on headphones/earbuds and some music? That would be soothing also.

Let us know how your doing.
 
Thank you all. I called my doctor this morning but with the office at a skeleton crew, all the calls are being sent to a central service.

No one has called me back, but CVs called that they got a scrip for Oxy for me but don’t have any. So I called the service again to get it called into a different place.

In the meantime, I reread my posts from my first TKR and they had me take Percocet every 3 hours when I had a bad bout of breakthrough pain. So I’m doing that till I hear back, and it’s helping. My pain pump is done, so I’m sure that’s a small contributor.

I do feel better and was even able to nap for a bit.
 
The first few days are tough. Glad you got another prescription. It sometimes takes a bit to get your pain management cocktail just right. Hang in there - it's all very temporary.
 
Aww, I’m so sorry to read you were dealing with such awful pain. Thankfully you’re feeling a bit better and you were able to nap.
Sending up a prayer that you find adequate pain management soon.
Big hugs :console2:
@JennyLynne
 
Do you have to go through the doc service to move the script to another pharmacy? I usually am able to do that on my own...might be worth a try if they don't get back to you timely....
 
Good luck - I hope that call comes soon. It is so frustrating, knowing that if you were still in the hospital, there would be staff around to help get the meds cocktail right for you and this surgery, yet it being so much safer to recover at home. Know that we are all here supporting you virtually and understanding exactly what you are dealing with! :friends:
It occurs to me too, that it might help your son if he felt part of your recovery. He can get the ice bags for you and put them back in the freezer or refill your water glass (as long as he doesn't know where you store the vodka! :heehee:)
 
Perfect! It can be so hard for the little ones trying to understand what's happening and why you hurt so much. Letting him make some of those "rules" helps give him some control over the situation - what a sweet boy!
 
@SpaceGirl thanks for checking in. Pain ramped up overnight and then settled down and then came back big time.

still haven’t gotten anyone to call me back from doctor or work out meds. I have been a patient of this office for almost 10 yrs and received nothing but excellent care. This is so frustrating!
 
@JennyLynne can you call your family doctor? Or if that is who you are waiting on, call your surgeon's office. I'm concerned that you need to get this sorted before the weekend.
 
@Jaycey just got a text from CVS that scrips are ready- so I assume that’s worked out. Looks like they added one- meloxicam? My husband is going to get them soon, just to be sure it’s all worked out.

Another good development and total TMI... I got a visit from the poop fairy! :heehee:
 
Great news on your meds! I was worried you would go the whole weekend without help. Meloxicam (Mobic) is an anti-inflammatory (NSAID). Post both my THR I only used NSAIDs. They are not for long term use but did the trick for me to get through those first rough spots.
I got a visit from the poop fairy!
It's the little things! :happydance:
 
He also established a “rule” where he has to hug me whenever he comes my bedroom.

Love this! I remember your little man from your last surgery. So Precious!
Glad fairies are visiting and meds are coming.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful weekend!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom