TKR JennyLynne’s Next Chapter

Amazing @JennyLynne! There's no place like home for recovery - especially in these uncertain times. Clearly, your OS thought, based on your other recoveries, you were a strong candidate for outpatient. Keep us posted! Also, you are now officially a candidate for the Four Replacements Club in the Social Room under Community! Welcome!
 
@JennyLynne
Glad you are home & hope you get comfy for a good sleep...
I turn my back for a mo & you are back having surgery on a knee:thud: Remember you & your hips...you were such a trouper... sorry you are going through it again... these bodies of ours

Wow! Straight in/out as day patient... amazing... have to say despite my fears the knee was much easier than my hips... still painful, for sure but with no restrictions on movement I could detach myself from the pain.

Remember darling... no pushing that knee too hard... I did my recovery a la BS & my knee is perfect!

Take care & I will pop in & make sure you are ok.

Much love Chrissie xxx
 
Greetings from 4am in Michigan! I’ve been up for a couple hours already, but finally conceded and woke up my husband to help me get to the bathroom. I have to wear an immobilizer brace because of the pain pump and needed some help strapping in.

Speaking of the pump... it must be working because I am quite comfortable. I think the nerve block from yesterday is still lingering too.

My quad is fully snoozing, as has happened with all my other surgeries. Had to switch sides of the bed with hubs. It’s weirdly disorienting!

Again, I’m so happy to be home. I was so scared about it but it’s been wonderful. I have an 8 yr old son, and I know it made him feel secure to have me here, plus he likes the captive audience. He put on quite a show for me last night.

PT is supposed to come today. I didn’t call them back last night though (oops ) ... we will see what happens.
 
Surgery at 9:00 and in your own bed by 2:00! That is unbelievable, but so awesome! It is amazing that such a life changing surgery can happen and you can be back at home resting a mere five hours later. Yay, you did it, you did it! :happydance:
Hugs and wishes for your comfort today.:SUNsmile:
@JennyLynne
 
Kids can be the greatest sometimes huh? lol Glad you are in good spirits so far today! I imagine the nerve block is still working, I feel like it did for me, but as the day wore on I could tell the difference. Sleeping is a struggle for me in general, and surgery did not help lol but hopefully you can rest enough through the day that it is not too rough.
 
PT just came for a visit. She very gently and slowly moved my leg, just getting a little stretching in. That’s all. I’m so starved for human interaction, I didn’t want her to leave!:heehee:
 
@SpaceGirl I also have a pain pump in my leg that must also be giving a lot of relief. At first I didn’t like the idea of it, but I get it now! Only bummer is that I have to wear a knee immobilizer when standing. High fall risk otherwise.

I’m still shocked at how “normal” I feel outside of my knee. I haven’t cursed my husband out yet... we are both shocked haha
 
Since it’s quiet on here... I’ll just do a play-by-play

First complete meltdown... can’t believe I went from total comfort to total pain so quickly.

Does help that my husband decided to NOT take the day off and he’s super stressed and every time I need something, I can tell I’m making it worse. But I asked him to take today off, so I don’t feel bad about it.
 
Once the nerve blocks and strong painkillers that are administered to us at the hospital wear off the pain suddenly become real and oh boy does if hurt :flabber:, my best advice is keep on top of your medication-m and Ice frequently:ice: for at least 45 minutes, don't play it by ear, as continued use will help keep the pain under control- I took Tramadol for nearly 3 months as I'm no good at dealing with pain. Your husband should be supportive and help you, if situations reversed I'm sure you would do the same, sometimes making them watch the video of knee replacement surgery is a good eye opener for them, I was fortunate that my husband took a holiday to look after me, once he felt I was able to shuffle around he gradually let me get on with it.
Right now concentrate on yourself and look after your new knee - sending a virtual healing hug xx
 
@Sara61 oh he knows the drill... this is my 4th surgery in 5 years. And I swear, we go through this every time! He takes on too much.

Yesterday went sooooo well- I felt really good and I think it gave us a false sense of security. I’m usually at the hospital when this part hits. Happy to be home, though!
 
Oops :heehee: I should have read your previous posts lol you are far more experienced than I, - 4 previous surgeries is impressive and I'm gobsmacked that you did this last one as a out patient, here we are kept in hospital for a minimum of 2-3 days and once we prove we can manage on our own we are allowed home xx
 
@Sara61 i was shocked that he wanted to do outpatient but given the Covid issues, I definitely didn’t want to be at a hospital. I will say, I find coming home from the hospital to be a dreadful experience. And yesterday was so easy, I didn’t have any pain and it was quick- no waiting for discharge and all that red tape!
 
Ah yes, it happens quickly! Stay on top of your pain meds, I always set timers on my phone and made notes of which meds to take. It was key in staying comfortable. As they say, don't wait for the pain to start to get the meds started!
 
@JennyLynne I hope you get some rest tonight...

I'm scheduled next Wednesday for outpatient as well, but it was planned, my doctor decides case by case hospital or outpatient depending on the patient. Like you I'm looking forward to coming home.
 
@billmo816 thanks! I was previously scheduled for outpatient as well- same process with my doctor. He’s doing about 40% outpatient these days. Amazing!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom