Guest viewing is limited

TKR JennyLynne’s Next Chapter

Home from PT! I survived! My husband did a good job helping me get my leg in and out of the car- it wasn’t as bad as I expected. Sitting in the car was quite uncomfortable though.

The evaluation itself was fine. It helps to be going somewhere that I’ve gone for my other surgeries. My therapist is furloughed but coming back next week. I saw the head of the clinic today. He was kind and gentle. He did measurements (58/14 - worse than I expected) and talked and then ice. No exercises. He could tell I was overwhelmed just being out.

They are doing their best to keep a clean safe environment. Masks and gloves, constantly cleaning surfaces. But there was one patient there who kept taking his mask off. Over and over, arguing with the therapist about it. Made me very uncomfortable. I am trying to decide if I want to do televisits instead of in person. I have to think about it.

And now... I’m home and in bed and ice and some rest!
 
Hey @JennyLynne :wave:
You could just try the televisits to see if you like that option. I’m sure after one, or two televisits you’ll know whether it’s the route you want to take this time around. It could save you from confrontational patients. It’s sad, but so many people are on edge these days given the current circumstances we’re all navigating.

I do realize that sometimes early on it just feels good to get out of the house for awhile. In that case I’m sure you could find a destination more enjoyable than PT. Even if it’s only a drive to a nearby park where you could sit and gab with hubby while your lil guy runs around and burns off some energy. You did so well recovering from your BTHR that I’m sure you’ll be flying solo in no time!
 
@Layla I am fine going nowhere right now! It felt weird being out so soon! When my therapist returns next week, I’ll discuss with her. Maybe televisits for a couple weeks. It’s weird- feeling helpless in that environment- like, I can’t get off the table without help and get away from that guy! (Who was entirely across the room but still it made me feel trapped).
 
It’s weird- feeling helpless in that environment- like, I can’t get off the table without help and get away from that guy! (Who was entirely across the room but still it made me feel trapped).

We certainly feel vulnerable when we‘re early into recovery and somewhat physically dependent upon others. I remember driving home from somewhere the day before my surgery. I was feeling anxious and had a thought that 24 hrs from that point in time, I’d be through surgery, but wouldn’t be able to run to save my life! It kind of freaked me out for a minute. Crazy thinking, I know, but when we’re feeling weak, or incapacitated it seems like our emotions are heightened and there is an awareness that you can’t just remove yourself physically from situations which can throw us off balance emotionally in the very early days of recovery. You probably just wanted to tell the guy to shut up and behave himself! :heehee:
 
They are doing their best to keep a clean safe environment. Masks and gloves, constantly cleaning surfaces. But there was one patient there who kept taking his mask off. Over and over, arguing with the therapist about it. Made me very uncomfortable. I am trying to decide if I want to do televisits instead of in person. I have to think about it.
No matter how careful a clinic is, going somewhere that has multiple people is a risk. And, after having major surgery, your resistance to infection is lowered.

I think you should "play safe" and stay home. Televisits will be sufficient, as you don't need to do lots of exercises this early in recovery.
My surgeon has a policy of no formal PT for the first month after surgery, and all his patients do well. Walking around the house and garden is our PT.
 
Yay you survived the pt appt. I hate that guy caused problems and made you uneasy but I totally understand! I would probably try the tele appointments for a bit and see how it goes.
 
You have already been through this surgery and you know how to rehab a tkr. I think you should play it safe and stay home until you are much further along in your recovery and have stronger immunity against the virus.
 
Let the ZAPS begin!

Last night while watching tv, it suddenly felt like my thigh was being electrocuted! Once it calmed down, I got a good laugh out of it. Wasn’t so funny when it woke me up about a dozen times last night!

Seems to have subsided today. Exceptionally stiff today- probably from by outing yesterday. Not really in pain, but can’t bend much at all. Sigh.
 
Over the last couple of years I get a transient shock in my calf. It's happened 4 or 5 times, seems to last anywhere from 8 to 24 hours. My theory has been that I'm dehydrated, so I drink Gatorade. If that is what solves it, I'm not sure. Mine is like a shooting electrical shock, quite painful and random.
 
Nerves are "reconnecting" but I imagine your outing yesterday was just a bit much for that new knee. Ice is your friend! :ice:
 
@allin1 I thought it was from nerves coming back to life?
I'm not sure. I had surgery in this leg 20 years ago, but the "zaps" only started a few years ago. As I said, for me they are not that often but highly annoying when they happen. I guess you could ask your doctor if they continue.
 
What are the zaps? I have not had any zaps and my TKR was 2 weeks ago today. What exactly is it I have to look forward to here.. please tell us more!
 
We call those zaps Zingers. They are small electric shocks made by your nerve endings as they try to re-connect - some of them were cut during surgery.

Some people experience them a lot and some never feel them at all. I only had a few.
 
@erichknipp zaps or zingers feel exactly like they sound- a quick little electric jolt under the skin. I have always gotten them- and sometimes months later. They are more annoying than anything but I remind myself that it’s because the nerves are healing.
 
I would have them so bad my leg would actually jump up sometimes. Even now I have very mild ones in my numb area every once in a while.
 
I remind myself that it’s because the nerves are healing.

Yes! Thankfully your body is doing just as it should and healing from the controlled trauma it recently endured...as you realize. Pretty miraculous when you think about it that way.
Zap On!
Easy for me to say three years post op,:heehee:
I hope you catch up on the interrupted sleep.
 
I still get the zaps in my right leg after my knee osteotomy. I have nerve damage from that surgery and have no feeling from right below that knee to about mid calf but every once in awhile a painful zap will get me! And that surgery was in 2011! :chinstroke:
 
Last night was the first night of really good solid sleep. Went to sleep around 11pm, woke up just before 3am and took meds, and promptly feel back asleep till just after 7am. I am usually up for a couple hours in the middle of the night, but this was good hard sleep! (If only my back didn’t hurt so much... but it’s a worthy trade off!)

My husband went off to play tennis, so my son is doing his schoolwork up in my bedroom today. We just learned about bats in Carlsbad Canyon. Better than my typical glazed-over Bravo watching, I guess!

As of today, my state is now allowing social distanced gatherings of 10 or less. Thinking I may get myself outside this weekend and welcome some neighbors over for a little socializing on the driveway. We live on a cul de sac, so we spend a lot of time on the driveway, haha. Wish I’d realized that before I got a bunch of backyard furniture!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom