TKR JennyLynne’s Next Chapter

I spent most of the time trying to figure out how to get up from low couches, chairs and toilet seats. Let's say it wasn't graceful.
Been there, done that! I went away for a weekend when I was 4 months post op, and struggling with these things did me in. My ROM was gone and it took me a month to start to improve! At the time I would have thought I wouldn’t have that bad a set back, at 4 months post op. I then ordered a portable raised toilet seat so that would never happen to me again!

Hi... thought I would check in. Things are going ok here. I feel really good on my feet - walking well and comfortably. Errands and grocery shopping are no big deal, finally.

Unfortunately, I had to stop (or pause) PT after today. I really like PT - I find it helps me mentally and keeps me focused and accountable. However - I had a change in insurance on July 1, and only just now found out that PT has been costing me about $160/visit vs $25 before. I have racked up over $1,000 in charges without realizing it. I talked with my therapist, and she agrees that the value is not there. My only real issue is ROM, and she agrees that we have plateaued in that area and her work isn't improving it.

So... the ROM issue. I have been stuck around 90 (probably less) for most of my recovery. I think I am doing everything right. I could elevate and ice more, but working full time and having a young child limit my ability. I don't think that would be a game changer at over 3 months anyway. I see my doctor on Sept 1, and we will see what he has to say. Last visit, he didn't think an MUA was in order. I suspect he may want to try it, given the lack of progress. To be continued...

Glad to hear you are doing well. Since we had our surgeries 8 days apart, I've followed your recovery. Of course I'm no expert, but I'd wait to see what your surgeon says. I personally wouldn't be in a hurry to have a MUA, but that is easy for me to say.

Hey @JennyLynne, so good to hear from you! Glad to hear you are doing well overall, and that is crappy about the insurance change. I have btdt with insurance with my oldest with her braces. Her dentist was covered and we figured the orthodontics attached to the same office would be covered up to $1500. We had to pay a balance of $3500....then the bill came in and said we owed. I was like what?? I was ticked to say the least! I am like why didn't they notify us that we were out of network BEFORE they put the braces on her?? UGH. Anyway sorry, it sucks big time.

I think you should definitely wait to see your dr before making any decisions one way or the other.

Prayers for you friend!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey there JennyLynne, I thought I’d stop by say :hi: and catch up on your thread.
A belated Happy Three Month Anniversary to you!

It seems you’re doing well...although I don’t know a lot about knees and ROM.
I’m sorry to read of your insurance nightmare. Ugh, how unfortunate.
I wish you only great news at your appt on September 1st and hope you enjoy the rest of the Summer! :SUNsmile:
@JennyLynne

@SpaceGirl thanks for checking in! I just logged in to give an update... so perfect timing! My new insurance sucks... high deductible that all reset in July. I’m so mad!

I FINALLY saw my doc today for the follow up on my flex issues. My appt was rescheduled a couple times, so it had been 2 months since my post-op.

I was super nervous. My flex still is a stuggle. I’ve asked my husband what he thinks the measurement is and he keeps telling me it hasn’t gotten better. Well, it turns out he should stick to sales and not become an ortho!

My doctors eyeball estimate was “almost 110”. I was floored!!! It feels looser but I still struggle with low seats and going downstairs “normal”.

My doc was very pleased, thinks everything looks great and thinks I will keep gaining flex as time passes. No need to see him again until the 1 yr checkup.

To say I’m relieved is an understatement! I am disappointed that this recovery is so darn slow, but I feel good, rarely have pain, and slowly getting stronger. Can’t ask for more than that!

(Just don’t ask me about remote learning... omg I am about to lose my mind, haha!)

Great news, JennyLynne! :yes!:
Happy Four Month Anniversary a couple days early. It sounds like you’re on your way.
Wishing you all the best life has to offer and no more surgeries. :wink: I hope you’ll stop back with updates for awhile longer, you’re a joy and have given me many laughs.
A great rest of the week to you! :)
@JennyLynne

Love you @Layla - you always make me smile! I plan to be around more as we shift into fall.

Wanted to drop in and say hi to everyone! I can't believe it's been over 2 months since I last posted. The good news is because my knee just isn't on my mind much anymore!!

I can't believe it has been over six months!! Still have swelling and limited range of motion on the right knee, but it's functioning well enough to not inhibit me. I know it will continue to get better, as the progress over the last two months has been great.

The ultimate test of my knee has been a new puppy! We got an 8 week old Aussie Shepherd a couple weeks ago, and I find myself (sort of) running through the yard with him, without even realizing I am! My biggest issue is just being plain old OUT OF SHAPE - but that's on me to work on.

Hope everyone out in BoneSmart land is doing well. Those of you will painfully slow recoveries - patience really is your best friend - it WILL get better! To those of you in the U.S. - wishing you a lovely thanksgiving!

Thanks for the great update, and the news about your new puppy. :dogwalk:
Wishing you continued healing as you knees and hips continue to improve. :walking:

It's wonderful to hear from you and to hear how well you are getting along. I know you are enjoying that new knee running around with that new puppy!

@JennyLynne Yay, so glad to hear from you! I've been pretty busy myself, work, school, life etc but was going to post today too LOL I am sorry you're still having some issues with your knee but glad they are improving slowly. Happy Thanksgiving to your family!

@JennyLynne ... I’m so happy to read your update! It sounds like everything is moving in the right direction, so that’s great. Time really is our best friend during this recovery...and a puppy will really keep you on your toes. Our pup makes sure I get a good walk with him early every morning. It’s so wonderful to enjoy that time without limping! My eight month old knee isn’t 100% yet, but like you, I don’t think about it nearly as much as the early days. And that’s progress! Happy Thanksgiving!

Hey there :wave:
Loved reading an update from you, JennyLynne.
I‘ll bet your son loves the new puppy and I’m guessing the new puppy is keeping you on your toes. Jamie, BoneSmart Admin also has a new puppy and has kept us entertained with cute little “terror” :heehee: puppy stories. They do bring joy to our lives and quickly worm their way into our hearts. :doggie: Enjoy!
May each week bring more strength and healing. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
@JennyLynne

Great report @JennyLynne! I am so glad you are doing so well. Isn't it fun to suddenly realize you are doing so many "normal" activities without thinking about them. And how fun to be sharing it with the new member of your household. Keep it up!

Hi everyone! Wanted to stop by for my one year anniversary!!! I cannot believe it - partially because time has somewhat lost its meaning over the last 12+ months, haha.

Things are really good here. Still have some gains to go on flexion, but I know it will continue to improve. If today is the best it gets, it's plenty. My left knee continued to gain flexion for a long time, so I do think I will see more over time.

My puppy (now 8 months old) has kept me moving, often racking up 15,000 steps a day walking him. I have a lot of weight to lose, so I am grateful that the activity doesn't hurt anymore. Hope to even get back to doubles tennis this summer - though I am a little nervous about that. I played some paddle over the winter, and I am taking a pickleball clinic tomorrow night - so I am easing into racket sports slowly.

It is crazy that I have replaced both knees and hips in the last 4 years, but I cannot express the joy of having it all in the rearview mirror!

A huge thanks to this community to supporting me all along the way! :loveshwr:

Congratulations son your first Right Kneeversary! :yay:
Happy to hear how active you are and that you are returning to the activities you love.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom