TKR Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again

Jenn, are you British by any chance? "Kinda," is really an understatement! Let's go for *totally*, ok?
 
Hey girls, I think with you in the recoup from an ODIC. Too much yard work and walking yesterday, so I day rest is in order again!
 
I napped today. Three cheers for Back To School. My dog and cat snuggled on the bed with me and we all enjoyed a 90 mins nap in a quiet house. I seriously don't think I've napped this 2nd recovery since the first week. Let's hope the recently cranky knee appreciates it.

This morning I got the girls fed and on the busses, drive ben to school 30 mins, met with my boss (my clinic is across the parking lot from his school) and came up with my return to work plan and then got a quick hair cut. My knee was not happy for the 30 min ride home. It's so annoying still being so subservient to the bossy knee. I was going to drive the girls to rehearsal tonight but my hubs is insisting I stay home with Ben.

I'm returning very part time doing preschool speech/language screenings starting Sept 6, 1-2x/week. They're usually 1-3 hrs long. Then I'll write up the reports at home. Then the week of Sept 25th, I'll start back twice a week in the office seeing clients all day. And keep up a couple mornings of screenings. I think the gradual build up will be doable. I'm taking over for a therapist going out on maternity leave so I can't exactly specify no preschoolers, but going forward, I'll limit my preschoolers I take on bc I can't crawl on the floor like I used to. Apparently they only warned me that one of her kiddos is a runner. Lol. But he has an ABA therapist who can be stationed at the door.

Yikes, I'm nervous. But excited. I do love my job.
 
Congrats on today's nap with your furry nurses and what sounds like a wonderful return to work plan! FWIW, at 6 weeks post-op, I couldn't really drive more than 30 minutes without pain. I tended to develop muscle spasms; pffft! However, at 10 weeks, it's improved and I'm sure yours will improve quite a bit over the next few weeks. Give it the rest it needs in other ways since you have to drive Ben to school and that means a solid hour of driving. Let's face it, new knees hate that position, so it might be a good idea to put the sewing machine away for now? Just a thought.
 
Yeah I haven't sewn since Tuesday. I realized the sewing and driving were a bad combo. And the sewing is optional. I cut a few pieces out yesterday. I'm surprised how hard that position is for the knee. I got spoiled doing lefty first. So driving was tiring, but it wasn't painful or setting back my recovery.

Follow up with OS tomorrow. I wonder if I'll get any grief for being a PT Drop out.

I'm now feeling the need to do a Grease parody.
 
Your story sad to tell,
A middle age knee-r do well,
Most non-compliant patient on the block.

Your future's so unclear now,
What's left of your Flexion now?
Can't even get a seat on the Nu-Step.
PT dropout,
No goniometer for you.
PT dropout,
Missed your short arcs and flunked heel slides.
Well at least you could have taken time,
To squat and do some quad sets .
After spending all that dough,
To have the doctor fix your knee up.
 
Good move on dropping the sewing for now. Glad to hear driving was not painful, especially since you have to do so much of it! Tiring is understandable right now.

Good luck with OS tomorrow, but honestly, I'm sure the visit will be just fine. You seem to be doing very well, right on target, so really, how could he have any complaints? I'll bet he'll just tell you to keep doing whatever you're doing; hah!
 
Hmm...I see a new career possibility here for you if you ever tire of the present one, lol!
 
Those shirts are awesome! I haven't gotten back to sewing yet, but I should. I have two quilt tops that are done and really need to be quilted. If I do - I need to use a different chair as my sewing chair has become quite uncomfortable for some reason. I have seriously considered using the shower chair as my new sewing chair. It's the right height for my sewing table and pretty comfortable.

I love the Grease parade! So funny!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Wonderful photos of your girls and I really lie the paisley. Hopefully next week you'll be in your routine and really take advantage of alone time. BTW your parody was great, maybe a second career choice. I'm glad you have a plan for staging back to work. I'm hoping to at least have a plan soon!
 
Jenn, does your car have cruise control? I'd be most comfortable without mine!
 
I am sure your OS appointment will go well. Now that the kids are back in school and you have some time to yourself try to stay out of the ODIC!
 
I did use the cc today on the freeway. But much of driving him to school is a lot of stop and go back roads.

One more day this week, hopefully the hubs can do pick up again. That's been super helpful. Then a full weekend of children's theater. The girls have a show fri night, three on sat (charlottes web) and auditions for the next show Sunday night. But after this crazy week/weekend things should slow down significantly. Until I go back to work. Ha.
 
I'm just getting caught up with your thread again. I love the shirts and kids' smiles. It's wonderful that you have worked out your return to work. I don't know how you are going to fit a job into your busy life. Good luck with the os tomorrow. I'm sure he will see how well you are doing.
 
Why do I have a sneaky suspicion that you are the costume maker for the children's theatre . . .
 
Ha ha Kathleen. I'm doing the bare minimum. Getting the girls to rehearsal and planning on seeing 3/4 shows.
 
Oh and paying the theater group to manage things like costumes. But I do have to run to Walmart tomorrow to get the 11yo a cami tank for under her costume. Thanks goodness for mobility scooters.
 
As I expected, OS wasn't happy I stopped PT. He's a big no pain, no gain proponent. My flexion is fine, Id estimate 120ish when it's not swollen from driving an hour. But my extension is about 5. It's really the tight IT band on the outer edge that's stopping me. But it's improving. Last week, I couldn't lay on my belly and flatten my leg w/o discomfort. This week I can for a few mins.

But he wants me to see his PT "Brad who will push on your leg and get that extension bc if you dont get it soon, you'll never get it."

Sigh. I wasn't using their PT bc it was out of network. Our insurance is changing Monday and PT is now going to cost me $50-60/visit.

My gut says I can just keep working on extension at home (using an ottoman, laying on my belly, etc) as well as starting back at my gym - swimming, recumbent bike, nu step. I don't need to pay to be tortured.

But it's easy to second guess when the "expert" is standing in front of you. Despite me having a full range of motion on my other knee. But I guess I was at 0 at this point last time.

Sigh.

I mean I know my answer. I just need a chorus of bone smarties to back me up!
 
Oh and "normally I wouldnt need to see you til 4 months, but I want to see you back in 6w to check that extension. "

I pushed it to 7.5w bc of our vacation. Surely I can get those 5 degrees in 7.5 weeks, sans abuse by a PT.
 
I can't sing in tune but I'll hum along in the chorus.
Of course you'll get there. Just don't force it ok?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom