TKR Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again

HA - we must have the same OS . . . same language, same threats, same revisit requirement though I was given a 3 month reprieve instead of 6 weeks. Hey, we can be extension workout buddies! Though I expect you will kick my butt. I am fortunate in that I can work with my PT who will not "hurt" me in addition to working at home. Hang in there Jenn - if anyone can get those 5 degrees, my money's on you. We got this!
 
Maybe a therapeutic massage therapist would help more than a PT at this point. I would rather spend my money that way. In fact that is just what I am doing now for my tight hamstings and tendons. My therapist is at my chiropractor's office. My insurance would pay for PT but I love how my massage therapist can work out my issues in a non aggressive way so I'm happy to pay out of pocket for it.
 
Agreed @flyaway79 - I am starting therapeutic massage next week to work on the tight hamstrings. They have a massage therapist at my PT clinic and the copay is less for that.
 
So Jenn, knowing what you know now, would you have scheduled your knees 10 weeks apart? It looks like I'm going to need the second one done. Last night in bed the non operated knee hurt worse than the new one. I have a lot of flexibility with timing but thinking it would be good to get it done before this year is over and not start new deductisle next year. My surgeon says at minimum 8 weeks apart. Was the 10 week timing workable for you or did you wish you had waited longer?
 
Yes! My therapeutic massage therapist is the only one who got me walking again after my initial injury. She's a miracle worker. And at $70-80, almost as much as paying "Brad, the masochist". Thanks! Scheduling an spot w he next week.
 
For me, I wanted one long stretch away from work (not two spaced out recoveries to disrupt my clients twice) and one out of pocket max. Plus my hubs hated his job and didn't want to wait til later in the year to leave. So the 10w was a good option for lots of reasons. It also had me home in the summer to cut down on childcare costs.

My surgeon offered 6w spacing but I had a trip planned and went w 10. 9-10 would be the minimum I would recommend for getting knee 1 ready to take over. 6 would have been way too soon.

But it's exhausting. Never ending recovery. Getting my mobility and freedom back only to start all over again.

If money, work, kids, etc were not a factor, I'd prob go bilateral or a year apart if I had to do it again. But for my circumstances, it was the right choice.
 
@Jajakio mine will be 1 day less than 13 weeks, I am at the point that my right is killing me with any walking now... sometimes wish I would have done bilat. OS didn't want to do it due to my weight, which I'm sure was smart!
 
Yeah, my OS doesn't do bilateral. And ultimately, the left knee required a lot of extra work and was slower to recover so it was probably for the best. But one recovery and done has an appeal.

And yes, on my 9w trip to Chicago, my unoperated leg was the bigger complainer from all the walking. The baby knee didn't love it, but I could def tell that eventually the new knee was going to be a rockstar and the original issue knee would never get better on its own.
 
Oh Jenn, just say "No," like Nancy Reagan. Having to pay for it is adding insult to injury; who needs that? You're only 5 weeks post-op right? I don't know if this will help, but I'll tell you what my OS says about numbers: I don't care what your numbers are at 4 weeks, 6 weeks or 9 weeks. They don't matter at all until about 13-15 weeks. Seriously, that's what he told me. He's 63 years old and had a knee done himself, so lots of experience in and out of the OR. Trust your gut.
 
Oh, and Jenn, when I saw "Brad the Masochist," I thought, "Vlad the Impaler!" :heehee:
 
You know my thoughts. You can do it yourself without even trying. Just take long strides when you walk, but make sure you have something to hold on to first. The other way is to lay on your tummy on your bed with your thighs hanging over the edge. That helps to stretch those caves. And you save all that time, travel and money!
 
Thanks for the boost of confidence, guys. I know I got this, but sometimes its hard to fight The Man!

And in today's episode of Why Is Jenn's Knee Angry...my girls in Charlottes Web. Elly as Fern on the right & Carly as Avery on the left. It was a great show. But 30 mins of standing in the lobby bc of a lighting glitch, then 90 mins of sitting with the leg down. Worth it. They did great!

[Bonesmart.org] Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again
 
what a fantastic photo of the play and your girls. how exciting for them and you. what does yours therapeutic massage therapist do and for how long, i.e. what areas does she concentrate on, one leg or both? hope you can rest up now after a successful and joyful occasion.
 
I used her when I hurt my knee originally and my entire leg seized up. It was so bad, I didn't even know I hurt my knee. Everything hurt. Dr just prescribed meds. PT was no help. She just worked the muscles and found all the tight areas, things like how a tightness in my ankle was causing pain in my knee. After 2-3 sessions I was walking again. After my first surgery, she worked both legs and really helped things along. I just needed a push to call her and schedule.
 
that's incredible Jennszoo. i wish it would work for me. melissa is massaging my knee, thigh and calf and it feels good in a therapeutic way but so far can't get the swelling down.
 
Great pic Jenn! Hope you can recover for upcoming nights. Fern is a big role - you must be really proud of your girls.
 
I love your picture of your girls!! You should be so proud! You are certainly quite amazing with all you do! My vote is see your massage therapist!
 
I really struggled with extension with my first knee. Finally I stopped listening to the pt, whose favorite was te rolled towel under my ankle (torture!). I started stretching my leg on an ottoman every couple of hours, holding it longer as it got easier, and laying on my belly on my bed with my thigh on the edge so my knee was hanging off. When I went in for my pre-op for the next knee, the PA was asking me how the 1st one was doing. I told her that I really struggled with extension and stretched it out. She just smiled and said "looks pretty darn straight to me".
 
@liam2015 it hurts. Badly. I think therapeutic massage has to hurt to get deep enough to really loosen those knots and tight bands of tissue. But it's different than PT hurting bc a joint is being forced to bend. She'll find the knot, put that hard, hard pressure on it and darn if something releases and I can move again. It's weird how I feel like one type of pain is going against my body and another goes with it.
 
@Jennszoo, and how a massage CAN hurt! I got one yesterday and it hurts just to touch my legs in places. She said my quads were in good shape but the hamstrings were all knotted up. It's a hurts so good kind of thing! I was able finally to make a complete roatation on the bike last night...anything to do with the deep tissue massage...maybe!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom