TKR Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again

I'm glad your pain is feeling better after your 'chair day'. You've got to find that right mix of activity and resting. It's a hard thing to do.
 
I'm really glad you are feeling better!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
For the first few months I would do one major thing a day, then rest the next day. That worked really great for me. By 3 or 4 months I was able to increase my work load with rest, elevation and ice in between 'jobs' to every day.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My activity in the early months sounds just like what @sistersinhim is describing. I too wouldn't give medical advice, but when you mentioned not having the morning drug and having done what you had the previous couple days, I was betting a lot of rest, ice, and elevation would have you feeling better soon.

I bet you hit your goal to drive by the end of the month. Sounds like you're doing really well.
 
I drove today. Took the kids on a 5-7 min drive to Dollar Tree to get some school supplies. Came home, rested & iced, then drove them the .5 mi to our neighborhood pool. Knee got a bit fussy in the pool (I was mostly just floating and playing with gentle bends), now home to my first dose of percocet, ice & elevation. Feels ok. Up until now, I had a hard time giving up my morning percocet. The actual driving was ok - right leg moves easily between pedals and holding it over the accelerator was fine. But I'm glad to be delegating taking the girls to rehearsal to my hubs. I'll be chilling here in my chair is anyone needs me.

What a difference. No way was my leg strong enough to drive at <4w (if I had to use it to accelerate or brake) last time.

I've also signed up for 2 races. One is a 1 mile event on 9/30 with my 11yo. Walk friendly. And the other is a 5k in February. Brisk walk pace. I Like having something to train for. And I think those distances are feasible within those time frames.
 
You are getting back to normal so quickly! Good for you!
 
I can't say my knee is going quietly into this recovery. Like last time, my obligations are forcing it. But i try to balance my rest time with my taking care of the kids time. So far, I haven't hurt too bad this afternoon from the busy morning.
 
Good, you know your knee and how to take care of it!
 
I can't say my knee is going quietly into this recovery. Like last time, my obligations are forcing it. But i try to balance my rest time with my taking care of the kids time.
You're doing what you have to do, Jenn. It may not be ideal, but it's a compromise you have to make. Your knee should still do OK in the end.
 
Sounds like you're doing really well balancing the demands of your life with taking care of your recovery Jenn. Glad you have some goals to look forward to. I'm the same with biking -- I like to sign up for rides which will then require me to keep in shape in order to not humiliate myself . . . I haven't done that yet but you have motivated me to think about it. I expect you will continue to make good progress and while the kids may not be looking forward to the start of school I'll bet you are :wink:
 
They are. I have one starting middle school and she is bursting with excitement. The other is my social butterfly and can't wait to see which friends are in her classes. And my son goes to a small private special needs school that's like family. And he loves it.

I'm not looking forward to the early mornings and driving the boy to/from school 30 mins away and that first week of transition when everyone's tired. But hopefully, they'll all settle in and have a great year.

And I get a month or so before I start transitioning back to work PT in Sept, so I plan to carve out some me-time.
 
And a wee update - I was laying on my belly on my bed tonight and my left leg was totally flat, zero pain or discomfort in that position. Righty, obviously, was bent, and ached a lot and had to be moved often. But I guess I finally got full extension on lefty for it to lay like that without me noticing it, other than noticing that it wasn't complaining like righty was. Yay.
 
It sounds like you have planned a nice balance with family commitments. I am glad your first driving excursion was a success!
 
Great to hear news of getting your life back on the rails. Summer is great but the routine of school will certainly help to give you some room to maneuver. Of course, the routine brings extra stress and timing and all the adjustments of a new school year. But you are learning the balancing act and good planning that you have time to ease into work. My daughter is studying to be a logopedist, she starts her last year in September.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Raising a glass of cheer to Lefty for finally lying flat!:cheers:
 
Jennszoo ~ you continue to impress me ~ you are one strong, ambitious lady! the kids must be thrilled to have their mom back in action.
 
Jenn, I just got caught up on your thread. I'm happy to hear that you are doing so well. It's very encouraging :cheers:
 
Yay! Your Lefty is a champ! It's nice to have a leg to show as a good example to Righty. Not to mention as an example of how our knees progress over time, sometimes so gradually we don't notice until something points it out. :smile2:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom