Guest viewing is limited

TKR Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again

It's wonderful hearing how your quad is firing right off the bat! Isn't it funny how two knees on the same body can be different!? Your first knee needs a pat on the back for standing up to its job!
 
Great report today. It's good to hear that your first knee is looking better and that the quads on the new one are working. Hopefully that swelling will go soon. I can't wait to see what my next one has in store for me (not!)
 
Jenn, hurrah for a good nap and a decent night's sleep! Those meds really do fizzle at the appointed hour; pffft! I found my knee was as accurate as an atomic clock. It knew exactly when the Oxy was due and wasn't shy about telling me.

It seems like you have a bit of a mixed blessing with decent quad control but more swelling than last time. It's just so strange how two knees on the same body can be so very different, but at least swelling is something you can help along fairly easily. My knee had moderate swelling and resembled a football for the first 3 weeks, but now the swelling is slight; phew. I'm sure the *watermelon* will respond well to your ice and elevation program.:friends: Hopefully, it will also respond quickly!

My money says your son won't mind a bit if you doze.:SUNsmile:
 
And please remind me that the burning is normal. I didn't have much burning the first time. Now I have places that intermittently feel like they're on fire - above incision, outer quad, right near the top of the incision and below the incision outer edge of the shin. I keep panicking about infection, but tell myslef the pain would be more constant if it was infection related, right? Day 5 must be the day my panic takes over.
 
My two knees were so different as well. My left had minimal swelling, my right was huge. I had much more pain with the right as well. My left I got flexion fairly easy, the right barely does anything. Goes to show you that we can't compare knees even on the same body...hang in there!
 
Yes, the burning is normal. Even for the sheet to touch me was painful. It stayed around off and on for about a month. Then, it started easing up. I even called my OS about it. It's the nerves reattaching, as you've read before, I'm sure.
 
i had that burning also up until a week or 10 days ago and just had to have an ice pack on my knee to cool it down. the middle of my gel ice pack would actually become warm from sitting on my knee and i'd have to move it around to keep the coolness for as long as possible before changing up ice pack. i'm going into my 11th week and my knee is not as hot as it had been, still a little warm. also for the last 3 days i haven't felt compelled to put an ice pack on my knee through the day, except for one part of the day where i rested in bed for around 50 minutes with my legs elevated on the lounge doctor and ice pack on my knee (also in bed sleeping). @Jennszoo, hoping things settle down for your recovery, remember patience and taking care of yourself.:flwrysmile:
 
Almost 15 weeks and I still get the nerve zingers and burning occasionally. Ice does help it calm down and mine is still warm and just like @liam2015 my ice pack still melts faster on the top than the sides.
 
Jenn, it's just crazy how different the 2 knees have been, huh? I know that nothing seemed right to mee that first week, but by thre end of the second week I was much more settled. I know you will be too. Hang in there. (Hugs)
 
Only now at week 4 do I feel some burning like sensations every so often. And scar feels warmer than all around it too. But except for bright red incision, it is normal colour speckled with flakes.
 
I read my recovery journal from the start at 4am this morning. Wondering if this level of pain was normal. Hard to tell. Bc my early week last time was overshadowed by the wicked quad pain that im not having. I don't know if im overdoing it, skimping on meds or what. But man, I can't seem to find a balance between So Much Pain and Drugged & Sleepy.
 
I think that it must be hard to start at the very beginning again. With the first tkr, you didn't know what was coming, everything was new and you didn't expect as much from yourself. This time (probably subconsciously) you expect yourself to know what to do and expect it to happen quicker. I know that I was blindsided by the pain the first week until I got the med schedule down. You WILL get a handle on this and you WILL get better. And you WILL NEVER have to do this again.

I'll be praying for an easier day for you today. Take those meds, rest, ice, elevate, and give yourself a break. Hugs.
 
hope you'll be feeling better soon. i remember with your first knee replacement (same date as mine), you were so busy with your children's last week at school and determined to attend everything. you'll get there again.:console2:
 
I would also go for sleepy over pain - that way you will likely be getting the sleep and rest you need in these first couple of weeks. Pain management is challenging so hang in there! I hope you will have a more pain-free day today :flwrysmile:
 
I definitely think I was pushing through the pain more than I should these past couple days. Today I've not left my room, only gotten up to potty and move from bed to recliner. I think multiple stair trips and showering and helping in the kitchen was more week 2-4 stuff, not day 2-4.
 
Oh, Jenn, you've done way too much. You have the right idea to just stay in bed. You'll probably have to stay in there for a few more days to overcome your over work.
 
I am glad you are spending the day resting! I hope that you continue to get good naps in and don't have any more shoe throwing nights. (Secretly... I wish I would have tried that approach the night I got stuck with only my left leg in the bed when I couldn't get my right leg lifted up and couldn't wake up my hubby in the next bedroom)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Rested and dosed every 4 hrs, dozed all day. Still feeling so much misery at night. I hate this. I'm definitely very much in the "what was I thinking" stage of recovery.
 
Back
Top Bottom