TKR Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again

I'm glad the Zofran worked, Jenn. I had to take it all the time I was on narcotics.
 
Hmmm, how about earplugs or earbuds for some "easy listening" stuff? You need your beauty rest Mama!
 
@Pheebs52 Great ideas! I don't even have kids in my house and I have an "easy listening" playlist on my iPhone for when I just want to zone out and rest.
 
Last night was rough. I woke up at 1:53, we had "scheduled" my meds wake up for 2, so I hobbled to the bathroom and got back in bed to wait on my hubs to come down. I needed him to get the second bottle of meds, plus I needed him to put the DVT pumpers on. 2:00...2;05...2:10...where is he? I texted. Nothing. I called. Nothing. Clearly he didn't put his phone on his nightstand. I didn't want to yell and wake up the kids. I wasn't walking upstairs. I eventually threw a shoe upstairs and the second try, woke him up.

Finally got everything settled, and dozed off, only to wake up at 3:30 having a really bad GI attack. It seems like 2 percosets is the sweet spot for nighttime sleep and pain control, but it really aggravates my reflux. So I was up for an hour popping tums, drinking water, eating GF crackers, I got up and got a banana...finally it settled. My attacks are always on an empty stomach, and feel like a knife is going through my sternum. Being GF has help tremendously, but these pain meds have made them more frequent.

So yeah...not the knee keeping me up. But a negligent "night nurse" and my dumb gut. Sending the hubs and kids off to see Despicable Me 3 this morning, so hopefully I can nap.
 
I agree with Karri. I always ate something prior to the pills. Always. Crackers and a jar of PB and a butter knife were at my bedside. Yes! Good napping while kids and hubby are gone to the movie.
 
I had apples and fig newtons nearby so I could eat something little before my meds.
 
My aunt was a geriatric nurse and she always told us how important it was to have something doughy/bready like in your stomach before taking any tablet. (thyroid meds excluded)
She also insisted we drink a full glass of water.
She said that was the 2nd toughest thing on her ward. Namely, the elderly hardly drank anything with their tabs and ended up w all kinds of tummy troubles.
Hope you got your deserved nap by the time you read this.
 
Ditto on eating something, anything, before the pain meds. Do you have a Rx for acid reflux or take any OTC meds like Xantac or Pepcid? If so, take at bedtime with your snack. Propping yourself up on pillows a bit in stead of being completely prone may also help.

Somehow, a flying shoe always seems to get some attention. Hubby will probably have his phone on tonight, right next to his head.:heehee:
 
@flyaway79, there's just something about listening to soft music or a really, soothing voice on an audible book that will send me right out to wherever I want to be.:SUNsmile:
 
I'm gluten free too Jenn, was heading down the path of going gf myself until a relative was tested positive for coeliac which meant all of us to be tested and yep I had it.

I have antral gastritis as well , so take nexium regularly to calm my stomach. I've noticed the last few months with the medications I've been on the tummy is upset frequently. So I've upped my dose of nexium 20mg x2, usually it's once day. Nexium you can buy over the counter or get a script.

I too have to eat something with any tablet I take for a happy tablet and have been taking regular probiotics for the gut too.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I got into the habit of eatng an applesauce pouch with my nighttime meds last time around and it worked. Clearly that's not enough this time. Or I just need to cut back to 1.5 at night.

Family is gone. Quiet house. Ahhhh. But Spøt above the incision is burning! I've take the Gabapentin but dang, this is uncomfortable.
 
Sorry about your rough night and I'm glad the flying shoe worked! You are making me remember those early days and it's nice that those memories sort of go away. As you know, it's gonna be more bearable soon my friend. Enjoy the quiet house and take care!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Apple sauce due to the fructose makes my tummy worse, maybe try something else? And if you're gluten intolerant often you're fructose intolerant too.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The geriatric nurse's information was correct. Never take the pain medications on an empty stomach and always drink plenty of fluids with them.

Jenn, it would be a good idea if you made sure you had your night-time medication doses with you before hubby goes to bed. Have them in containers labelled with the time you need to take them, and set your own alarm. That way, you won't be dependent on hubby to bring them to you. Make it part of your bedtime ritual.

My husband was never involved in my medication regime. I wrote a list of which medications were due and when, and as I took each dose I crossed it off the list, so there was no danger of taking a dose twice.

I understand that you'll want to keep the medications away from your children, but having a couple of night time doses with you shouldn't present a danger.
 
I keep my meds in a basket I keep by my side, but I only had 1 percoset left in that bottle and the new bottle was out in the kitchen. And I had been taking some food w meds each dose, but last night was just a conflation of everything going wrong - sleeping husband, bad gut, empty med bottle, etc.

Live and learn.
 
Hope you have a more restful and comfortable night tonight!
 
Jenn, I hope you got some rest while everyone is out. I will be praying that you have a better night tonight and that the pain is better soon. I think I have kinda forgotten what the first couple of weeks was like. You are definitely reminding me. Hopefully in a couple of weeks you will be well on your way. ((Hugs))
 
Nap achieved yesterday and a better night of sleep last night. No GI Attacks. Went down to 1.5 percoset at my 3am dosing and did ok with that. I've been unintentionally going 5 hrs between meds bc I've been distracted and went 6 hrs yesterday evening and paid for it. Going to watch the clock better today.

Day 5, im alive. Having some quad control is such a different recovery than having none. I feel so lucky this time around. I'm way less dependent on someone lowering my leg from the bed/chair. But the swelling, hoo boy. Feels like a watermelon in my knee. Way worse than last time. Another day of resting, icing and elevating. Sendng the hubs and girls off to a baby shower today and watching a movie here with my boy. Hopefully he won't notice if I doze.

Swelling on the left knee is almost totally gone. I guess she's finally get the rest she deserves. It's cool seeing the shape of an actual knee appear on that side!
 
Back
Top Bottom