TKR Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again

Stay positive and remember the reason you are doing it and the end result! I am beginning to walk sort of normal after my two. At 4 weeks, I am off the walker and don't use the cane at home. You've got this!
 
@becticu, I'm so glad to hear you sounding brighter and more positive! Great news and great advice.:flwrysmile:
 
While my son was at therapy today I hopped on the recumbent bike at the clinic. Last week, I did 5 mins, so slowly that I never even got the startup button to work or the control panel to light up. My knee was so stiff and I struggled to get full revolutions, adjusting the seat a couple time, even.

Today, I got on, went around no problem with only slight tightness. The panel started up, I did my 5 mins with no problems.

When I'm starting to feel like I'm stagnating in my recovery, it was nice to have that very obvious sign of Improvement over just one week. And no PT...just my ADLs. Which are enough right now with 3 kids and no spouse.

One more week til my trip. I hope I can see even more gains in 7 days.
 
How is it that I can be pretty darn active, no icing/elevating practically at all anymore during the day and I have barely any pain. But sleeping, where the knee is just laying there, is still so painful. I'm weaning off the ice cuff at night, haven't used it for a few days now, starting the night with regular ice packs and waking up so sore and achy. I dread nighttime. But now that I'm up and moving, it's fine again.
 
Because often the knee reacts later, such as at night, to all the extra activity and screams out in pain at that time. We see it over and over here. People are active through the day or at PT with no pain, but the pain comes later and usually at night especially in the 2nd and 3rd month. Remember, people typically return to work at 12 weeks and still have swelling and pain after a day at work requiring ice and elevation at the end of the day. You're at 9 weeks, so still expect pain and swelling with lots of activity which may require ice/elevation to help with pain.
 
Can someone post the link to the tylenol/tramadol chart? I can't find it using the search tool,and I want to share the info w a friend.
 
And that makes sense @KarriB I dont feel achy when I go to bed, it just seems to kick in when I've been still for too long.
 
@Jennszoo, I'm sorry to hear you are still having painful nights; aarrggh! What @KarriB said makes perfect sense. I have found even if (that's a big IF) I don't wake up at 2-3 A.M. with a painful knee, I wake because it's so incredibly stiff, sometimes with the pins and needles sensation. It means getting up and walking around a bit to shake it off. It's a drag, but that's the solution for me. I think what I'm trying to say is my knee swells from just lying in bed (forgive the roundabout explanation, need coffee) and that creates all manner of annoying sensations. It seems to prefer movement in the always elusive *right* amount.
 
I also think nighttime is the worst because you have nothing to take your mind off of the discomfort. During the day you and your mind are busy. Distraction is a great thing!
 
@Jennszoo, is this what you are looking for?
The first is for 4-hourly doses and the second for 6-hourly:
[Bonesmart.org] Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again
 
Nights are my tough time too! The last couple of nights I have been awake all night with pain and can't get comfortable:(
 
@KarriB - That makes sense why we have more discomfort / pain at night than we do during the day that it's a delayed reaction. It's nice to know we're not alone in having more discomfort at night.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well, if you're having discomfort it's you're body/knee saying, "too much". So take a look at what you're doing and what may be causing it, then pare down and try those activities in a week to see how the knee reacts.

While I didn't really sleep much at night, it wasn't due to pain. I just couldn't get comfortable enough to sleep.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Cybil62 I have been having the same problem! I was just telling my husband this morning that all of a sudden my nights are getting more uncomfortable instead of better. The stiffness is just crazy. What gives??
 
Are y'all elevating at night? I am using the lounge doctor pillow at night--yes, that means I have to sleep on my back--but I find I wake up less stiff than when I was sleeping without it. I also go down with ice and refresh it in middle of night.
 
No elevating for me at night. I can't sleep on my back. The first week when I had to was bad enough. This is really a new phenomenon. I think it may because I'm doing more during the day. I'm just naturally not sitting around as much as I did in the first couple months.

Guess it's all part of that healing process :umm:
 
I elevated and used my ice machine all night up until this week. Trying to wean off it. I alternate between elevating and on my side propped with pillows.

I took a pic to share on FB today. Check out that bend! I think all my pool time is helping. Just walking in the pool, gentle bends and kicks. Nothing too much, mainly just keeping up with the kids.

I mean I said nighttime was uncomfortable, but it's nowhere near those two days of intense pain I had after overdoing it at PT that one time. Should I be resting more? Likely. But knowing my "fun with kids time" this summer is limited, I'm doing what I can til i can't do anymore. 2 weeks til surgery #2!
[Bonesmart.org] Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom