TKR Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again

As for recovery, I'm doing well. Walking well without my cane in the house. Concentrating on good form. Only locking/buckling occasionally, mostly at night. Doing leg lifts, as long as I consciously tighten my quad before I lift, they're pain free. Short leg arcs are still hard, but doable and those still feel like something is pulling on my patella. Crazy how bad my quad is still after all this time. I've been told the patellar realignment was significant, hence the angry quad.

I've gained like 20 lbs since my injury in nov and at least 10 of those since surgery. Ugh. Wish I could be motivated to tighten up my food choices, but my nightly ice cream is like cheap, sweet, cold therapy. Lol.
 
Jennszoo, you made it through last night! I'm sending you some *strength vibes* to get you through today! It's good to see the kids have stepped up their game. It's really amazing what kids can do when it's required and in the long run, it's good for them as well as you!

As usual, your humor came through, despite your difficulties. I love your line about being more like 1/2 person rather than 2, lol. Ain't that the truth!
 
I get to feeling sorry for myself when I hurt sometimes and I think of you stepping up and taking care of your young kids while feeling the same way. You are an inspiration to us all!
 
Jenn, you made it to another day, and I am assuming everyone is alive:) I feel for you so much, taking care of 3 kids is difficult enough this time of year without having your knee to deal with too. I hope you can feel all the prayers and love coming your way from all your bonesmart.org friends. I pray today goes well.
 
ahhhh i misunderstood when you said you were "getting one day" closer, thinking your hubby would be home in one more day! since children are out of school where you are, can you hire a reliable teenager/high school student to come in and help you and occupy your kids for half days during the week? i babysat my now 22 y.o. nephew and 15 y.o. niece since they were babies, and now they come over to help me with my 6 y.o. granddaughter; they just live a block away...haha planned by their mom to be close to me for babysitting. thinking of you and counting down the days with you. you sure do deserve a good rest after this.:friends:
 
Busy couple days. Running more errands, sewing, getting back to some normal finally. Knee is hanging in there. Mostly stiffness and weakness. Some pain w certain mvmts still. But I can tell it's getting stronger (finally!). Slept without my ice cuff on for the first time last night, bc I forgot to carry up my frozen bottles and didn't want to go back down and get them. Pretty restless, kept waking up achy. But the right knee is going to need the ice soon, so she's gotta learn to sleep without it. Lol.

6 more days till husband is home.
 
You're doing great!! Keep on keeping on! I went on my first solo road trip the other day, and I'd better figure out cruise control because the knee is super stiff from keeping the foot on the accelerator.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Man, I still wouldn't feel good driving with this leg. It's still an effort lifting it from sitting (leg extensions). I have to contract the quad and concentrate on moving it. Not exactly safe if I needed to hit the brake fast. I really hope the right heals quicker.
 
I just drove for the first time. Felt good but i was only in the car about 30 min.
Curious... Why is the left bothering you while driving? Isn't it just hanging out?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm just saying if I had to drive w this leg, at this stage of recovery, I wouldn't be able to. But I've been driving since 3w bc the leg just has to sit there. It just makes me nervous for my right TKR bc if it heals at this pace, I'm in a pickle. Not driving for 2 months just isn't realistic for my lifestyle. Lol

Went to a friend's lake house. Walked down the long grass lawn to the dock and back twice. And got myself out of the lake via the dock ladder. Woot! Going to go ice this knee in a few.
 
Sounds like a good day - I love being at the lake! I haven't tried walking on the grass yet. Did you find that to be harder?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I find it much harder to walk on grass. It's kinda scary because you can't see little holes and I have to lift my feet higher. For now I'm sticking with sold surfaces!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Going down the slope was hard! I was so slow. Back up towards the house was easier. Still slow, but I felt more stable.
 
Wow, go Jen! I'd find grass a bit scary because of the uneven surface but you're way ahead of me. That makes it ok, lol. Glad to hear you had such an enjoyable day!:SUNsmile:
 
Getting back to normal...just in time to start all over again. Sigh. If I think too hard on it, I get a little depressed.
 
What feels like forever now will be a blip soon enough. Imagine if you did your knees a year apart? It would feel like a 2 year recovery!

You are doing amazing!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good point @JennyLynne! That's a great reason for sooner rather than later, unless later can be several years away.

Jen, just don't go there with your thoughts! Put up the mental Stop Sign! This time, you're a pro and you know exactly what to expect and how to handle it. Sure, it's all miserable during the first 2-3 weeks, but then, we improve. Inch by petty inch. The sun starts to shine again, ya know? Geez, I sound like someone on drugs, lol.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom