TKR Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again

Good point JennyLynn. I'm know I'm going to need my other knee done and I have opted to wait until next year or longer if I can stand it. I really want to get back to flying again for awhile and didn't want to extend my leave past 6 months if I can swing it. I don't think there is any perfect time to do this again :-(
 
I admire all of you who know you have to do it again soon. This recovery is harder than I imagined and kind of like childbirth I think I would need more time to pass so I would forget about the process before partaking in it again. Jenn, you may get lucky with your right knee with driving. I haven't had any trouble driving at all for last few weeks and hopefully it will be the same for you.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Try to think beyond the surgery and knowing at that point you'll be recovering well for TWO beautiful new knees!! Each knee recovers differently so maybe the right one will be a star and you'll be driving sooner than you think.
 
My job isn't easy to come and go from. I'm a speech therapist in a clinic and I basically turned over my whole caseload to others. So it just makes sense to get it done with one long leave of absence. Plus the financial perk of two surgeries in one calendar year. So all good reasons. But yeah, just the past few days I feel like I've turned another corner in my stamina, what i can do, etc. I want to enjoy it, make more plans like today, take my kids shopping, etc. Then bam. I'm grounded back to the house and no driving. Sigh.

Glad I have yall to commiserate with.
 
Jenn, it certainly sounds to me like you made the best decision for you. We all have different circumstances to consider and I know you've looked at your choice from every possible angle. Yes, you'll be grounded again (ugh) but....it's quite temporary when you look at the big picture. Look how fast you are recovering now! I'm sure just 2 or 3 weeks ago you couldn't imagine walking down a grassy slope to a lake, but today, you did. As someone else just said, perhaps this knee will be an entirely better experience; who knows? Giving up the essential car keys is tough, especially when you've just regained that freedom, but it's only for 4-6 weeks, right? You'll make it, just like you did this time. Keep in mind, you're one tough lady!
 
At least you have us to get you through your second one. When I have mine done I will have to find a whole new group of friends to commiserate with :boohoo:
 
Aw, just tag us to come commiserate with you @flyaway79 !

Thanks for the pep talk guys. Tonight as I was shuffling around getting ready for bed, I noticed something amazing. My right knee hurt. And my left knee doesn't. I saw so many posts where people talk about how their arthritis pain was gone, even while they were still healing and I didnt "get" it til tonight. Yes, the left is still a hot mess at times, but walking around my bedroom, the old familiar ache was there in the right knee, but not the left. Yay!!!
 
I'm guessing it's more pronounced tonight bc all that hill walking and climbing into a boat and out of the lake was more activity than Id done on either knee for awhile.
 
Jenn, I had the same realization just the other day, my right knee hurt and my left didn't. It's good to know that going through all of this is worth it. @flyaway79 Jenn is right. We will come back to be with you. I hope that some of you are still around in August when I do my right. The support here is wonderful. Oh, and Jenn, I am so impressed that you could do the grass hill. I am so nervous about holes in grass and hills are still challenging. Good for you :wowspring:
 
Slopes? Grass? Geez what are you girls talking about?? I just can't fathom even attempting either, maybe grass if it was flat.
I did walk up a flight of stairs today maybe 30 and not sore afterwards but had rail either side.
I didn't start driving with my right till 9.5wks (a fortnight a go) and I still wouldn't be able to long distances, thankfully it's okay short distances. I've noticed though driving in my hubby's car manual Corolla is easier than my SUV with the seat, definitely not as sore afterwards.
You girls impress me so much with how you're going!!
And I'll be here to support when you go (eeeek!!!) again. Thankfully my left knee is okay for now (oh geez did I say that out loud?!)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
And lest you think I'm a superhero, when I got to the house and saw that expanse of grass that I had to traverse to get to the dock, I nearly had a panic attack and left. But my son was set on riding the boat and I knew I needed yo be there to hold his hand. I would have sent my daughters with another adult, but Ben is too unpredictable. So I pulled up my big girl panties and did the walk. Slowly, with my cane, all while he was practically pulling me along saying "come on mom, hurry!" Lol
 
At least you have us to get you through your second one. When I have mine done I will have to find a whole new group of friends to commiserate with :boohoo:
Flyaway79 I'm planning on December 2018 for TKR number 2 maybe we can coordinate?!
Of course you know what they say--if you want to make God laugh, tell her your plans!
 
@keefsmom, I'll be here. And I bet a lot of the others will, too. They are really caring women who won't dessert you!
 
Hi Jenn, I'm catching up on threads but you comments over the last couple of days prompted me to stop and write instead of keep reading. Our replacements timeline is very similar. As well,I wanted to get them both done the same year and just be done with it. My second surgery was last Mon, June 5. I felt sorta ready and felt my baby left knee was probably strong enough but who knows??

To be honest this right knee has been harder. I've had more substantially more pain and swelling than the first. I was pretty discouraged because I wanted it to be easier.....after all, now I really knew what to do and expect. I had a hard time even coming to the site and reading because I hurt so bad.

BUT, I did know basically what to expect and I did remember oh yeah that terrible pain from the tourniquet,yea I remember and it goes away. That first week was awful because I swelled so bad. I gained 9 lbs that week and it wasn't food cause I could barely eat, it was all fluid gain. If you asked me did I do the right thing on days 3-6 I probably would have given you an earful. Today is day 7, did I do the right thing? YES!

All the reasons you gave for doing it are there. I still have one huge leg but it's getting better. Baby lefty is performing beautifully. She hasn't even complained. All the things I could do with the bad right leg while recovering from the left I can now do with my baby left. Will this week still be bad? Probably. But what I know is it will get better. When I have some crazy strange pain all of a sudden I remember,oh yeah I had that before, that's normal it gets better.

What I didn't realize was how great I really felt those last two weeks before the second surgery. The second one takes more out of you. The fatigue is crazy, but then we know it gets better! I hope this encourages anyone doing them staged.

Tomorrow I may posting on here, crying begging for some help and answers, but for today, I'm good and glad I did both. That's why this is a great group of supporters!:yay:
 
You are over that hump now, and coming down the hill. Your future is bright. That second surgery is behind you. Many of us still have that to look forward to. You don't! God is good!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom