Guest viewing is limited

TKR Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again

It's too early for you to start any type of weight training. I think just increasing your normal daily activities, without angering your knee, will help with gaining some strength. You are a fighter and will be just fine in three weeks. You'll be back on your walker, so that will help out your left knee. It will gain it's strength as you heal from your rtkr.
 
How long are you able to walk? The Activity progression for TKRs says walking for 20 minutes at a time around week 4-5, so if you're able to do that I think you could try adding 2 minutes to your walk every few days, definitely using a cane. If you find it's too much or causing pain back off. For me, walking with a purpose is different than walking when I shop. Set your phone for 10 minutes, start off and when the phone timer goes off head back home. I found this helped me to stand longer without pain also.
 
@KarriB , that's a good idea. I think I've been avoiding walking with a purpose bc I've been trying to conserve my energy for walking for life - cooking for kids, running them places, quick shopping trips, etc. And I don't want to not be able to do those things. I'll give it a try. Maybe even starting with 5 mins out and back and see if it wears me out. The dog will appreciate it.

And those exercises are not too far off from what I was doing in PT before they pushed me to the machines.
 
I think it's a good idea to start low and see how it goes. I always biked for exercise but I never realized until I found BS how good walking was for a TKR recovery. Just this March I got up the courage to begin walking. My bad left knee has been my excuse these last few years, but now I walk 5-7 days, however the warm weather may limit that considerably.
 
It feels so good to be able to walk that knee without the arthritis pain! Sometimes I'll catch myself drifting back into my limping habit for no reason! Be sure to concentrate on the heel to toe stride! Enjoy those walks! Their so uplifting!
 
Today I visted a friend and parked on the street and walked up their steep driveway. And back down to leave. Tonight my lower back is so achy and sore. I'm really hoping it was just the hill that messed with me since I've only been walking on flat level ground for the last 6w. Crazy how these aches and pains come out of nowhere.
 
Hills are difficult for new knees, coming down can be more difficult than going up. Inclined require different use of muscles etc. It's likely you were making accommodations with your back to save the knee.
 
@Jennszoo, thanks for sharing those great photos of your kids having fun in that fab gym! Maybe next year you'll be joining them in some of those fancy maneuvers!

I'll be interested to see what others have to say about quad strengthening for you at this point in time. I'll bet someone here will have a good solution for you.
 
Oh, I can relate to the hill problem. After my doc visit yesterday, I had to get up my driveway hill on crutches. It's not super steep, but just steep enough to be very challenging. Last night, my back was killing me as well, so, I blame the hill; pffft!
 
It's better this am. So yeah. I went down so slow and was kinda leaning back. Blaming the hill.

Going to take a 10 min exercise walk today with my 11yo while her brother is in therapy today.
 
Glad to hear it's better this morning Jennszoo.:SUNsmile:
 
Slow and steady for all of us! I am right there with you on the weak quads! Started a few stairs so I will follow you to see if they help! Thanks for posting what you are doing!
 
I'm still spooked when going down steep hills. Using those back muscles to help your save your knees makes sense. But, afterwards...ouch!
 
I used the recumbent bike at my son's PT office for 5 mins with no resistance. And then took a 10 min walk around the parking lot with my daughter. Whew. Felt like I ran a 5k. But that's my own PT for today.
 
I realized at 6pm that I've not been using my cane at all in the house. Mainly bc it's getting tired and buckling a bit more. Yay. Progress. Incremental, but still progress.
 
Every baby step leads to an adult step. Each day you are taking more and more of those adult steps!
 
Good for you! That is great progress!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Trying to plan a girls nite out w some friends and I mention that I can go out in July, if someone picked me up, bc I prob won't be driving til Aug if I'm lucky. And of course someone chimed in with their story about a coworker, 20 yrs older than me, who was back at work (optician) a month after surgery. Not sure why people think that's helpful. Do they think I want to not be 100%? It just smacks of assumptions that I'm faking it.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom