TKR Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again

Use ice as much as you can. Often when this happens there is no pain at the time, but it comes on later. Take a good look at the Activity progression for TKRs and try to stay within those guidelines. It may take a couple of days, you really need to hold off for at least 3 months because your soft tissue, muscles, etc are not healed. But not everyone needs strength work. My leg was very weak from being in the imbolizer. But my dad did no strength work at all, he just walked while mowing, shopping etc.
 
The PT did try to have me do some weights on Tuesday, but nothing hurt at the time. So it could be that. I dunno. Woudl it be normal for the knee to be angry on thurs for overdoing it on Tuesday? Not just pain, but I can't even get a 90° bend today without pain. I'm walking ok, it just doesn't want to bend. And I measured 125 without pain on Tuesday.
Your poor knee!

You've been doing a lot of running around and the weights on top of that were the last straw. Please don't allow weights again, at least not until you are about 4 months post op. They aren't necessary and they stress your knee too much. You used a leg press too? That's also a no-no :no-fin: until 3-4 months. It's far too early to be starting strengthening exercises. Let your poor knee heal more first.

Remember this from the Guidelines?
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
​
It's only about 5 weeks since you had this very major surgery. Please check this article again and see what your activity level should be: Activity progression for TKRs
Compare it to what you'v e been doing and I think you'll find you have generally being overdoing things.
With the busy life you've been leading and a ROM of 125, your leg is going to strengthen all by itself and you don't need PT.
 
Yall are the best.

Update: been home 4 hrs (this am was 5th grade graduation, so the last of the end of year madness!!!) and been icing and elevating this whole time, up only for potty breaks and knee has calmed down significantly. Tomorrow only thing planned is Dr appt.
 
It's sounds similar to the pain I had last week when I was in tears, where I was pushing my ROM too much and aggravated tendons where the hamstring connects.. following the BS guidelines got me through.. I just read all the articles again last night to calm my mind.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Respect the recovery. I guess I needed that reminder today. By bedtime, I was back to standing and walking pain free. Crazy how fast it can go from good to bad. Lesson learned.
 
Take it easy for the rest of the weekend with ice and elavating. I am so glad I quit PT! She had me using 5 lbs weights strapped on the back if my leg as I layed on a table with my knees and lower leg hanging off the table!! It was excruciating! Then I could barely walk for 4 days and my pain was rediculous. That is when I said that is enough I quit!! Take care of yourself!
 
And last night was awful. Woke up needing middle of the night pain relief for the first time in over a week. Even had to tearfully ask my husband to fill my ice machine and raise my legs into the pillows like the first few weeks. So mad at the PT if that's what caused this. I went from being excited to see my OS today bc I was doing so well so now dreading the appt bc I'm hurting so bad. Psin is right on the inside edge of the knee and just throbbing. Up until now, I had relatively no pain when I wasn't using the leg.
 
Ugh. You HAVE to advocate for yourself, just as you did! Bravo! Personally, I feel that the position she had you in is NOT beneficial for any reason! Did she want your back to go out or something?? I have had such a different PT experience this time around with a therapist who goes a more wholistic route. Much less pain and aggravation on the knee. My OS wants to see more muscle building so I am in for it now, I'm sure.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Muscle will come, but it has to wait until everything is healed. I'm remembering friends who underwent hysterectomies. Their docs didn't expect sit ups at 5-6 weeks post op! It was months before those muscles were able to work as they did before surgery. SMH!
 
It's so hard to have setbacks. Once you are over this bump in the road, you won't even remember it. You are doing great... this may slow you down a bit, but you are still moving forward and that's what counts!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Met w OS. He's not concerned about pain. Tells me it's a consequence of pushing myself. Which he says I should be doing. Ok. Thanks but no thanks.

I appreciate his skills but he's def a no pain, no gain devotee. I'll go back to BS ways and living my recovery painfree so I can take care of my children. Not pushing dumb weights and crying all day from the pain so I can hasten my recovery by 2.5 days.

Waiting at lab for blood work to start ball rolling for surgery #2.
 
That therapist ought to be spanked for doing that to you. You have been doing so well, and then they go and do that! If it were me, I'd quit. You get plenty of pt with all you're already doing.
 
When I came off Percocet I did 1/2 pills, and at the very end I did 1/4 for a day (only because I suffered a withdrawal once in my life from an antidepressant and I never wanted to do that again). Maybe you don't need it, but a good mix with Tylenol is Tramadol, that was my step down from Percocet. I still take Tylenol in the a.m. And p.m., but I still have quite a bit of discomfort when I'm up and about. I sleep very well though (very grateful for this).
 
oh and the best news? I've been cleared to go in the pool. Yay. I was worried bc I still have a wee bit of scab. But he says it's healed enough.
 
Lucky girl! I go to OS on Tuesday and hope I am cleared to go in the pool too! The bottom of my incision looks like a teeny scab as well. Hoping it will be gone by Tuesday.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
And last night was back to my normal nighttime discomfort. Yay! Never thought Id be so happy to be uncomfortable. Clearly, I'm done w PT and I'm not pushing it anymore. Man, that was 2 miserable days. For what? No measurable gains. I feel bad for people who have TKR and don't have BS to reassure them that there's another way. I've made so much progress in 5 weeks with virtually no pain once the initial 2 weeks passed. And if it weren't for BS and I kept up w PT pushing hard, I'd be in constant 6-7+ pain. Ugh. Thanks, for making this board happen @Josephine & Admins.
 
I'm happy you're back to "discomfort", Jen! When you go in the pool be careful not to overdo as it's super easy to do. Water provides a natural resistance, so enjoy but be careful also. I can't wait until it's warm enough to go in the pool. Our community pool isn't heated, so it takes a while before it's warm enough for me. One thing I've noticed since my TKR is that I can't take cold water like I used to.
 
The first time I got back to the pool at 4 months, I just walked a little bit for about 5 minutes and swam a half a lap. I was extremely uncomfortable after that for a few days. I waited 2 more months, then took it easy, and did well afterwards. So, please be very careful your first time back. It doesn't seem like you're doing much, but later on you will know that you did!
 
Back
Top Bottom