Guest viewing is limited

TKR Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again

What amazing ROM! You are doing amazing!!!
Hope that trip to FL can happen. You still have a long road, a little R&R would be nice:


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last night I woke with cold sweats/chills. Totally weird and I mentioned it to a friend and she said that's a sign of narcotic withdrawel. And sure enough, last night I tried to go to sleep without my percoset for the first time. I had just taken tylenol at 8:30 and felt ok at 10:30 so I just went to bed. I've been taking just the 1 5/325 pill at bedtime for about a week now. So when I woke up at 12:30 with the sweats/chills I took one and was fine the rest of the night. So it def sounds like withdrawals.

I guess I'll go down to 1/2 pill for the next week or so. Up until now, I haven't had any issues with weaning. But I'd like to have a good month off narcotics before the next surgery.

Figured I'd share for anyone else who didn't know this was a withdrawel symptom.
 
Thanks for sharing your experience. I didn't know that with just one pill a day you could still have withdrawals. It sounds like you have a good idea how to conquer it. I don't blame you for wanting to be off of them before your next tkr.
 
Ooh that is good to know. I'm still taking one hydrocodone at night and tylenol in day. I almost just used tylenol last night. I will take your advice and break hydrocodone in half. Thanks for the advice!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh, very interesting and useful. I've gone down to one 5 mg oxy maybe three times a day, with Tylenol the rest of the time. It's good to know I might encounter sweats and chills as I discontinue the oxy. At least if I do, I'll have a clue about what's going on. Thanks!
 
Just follow the example Josephine left and you'll be ok. I began cutting back around week 3-4 when I forgot an afternoon dose. I never had any withdrawal effects at all.
 
that's interesting. i got off the Oxycocet (Percocet) within 2 days of one per day, trying to eliminate the nausea. i've been feeling cold ever since the surgery and i have had a few episodes at night of hot, then cold. still down 12 lbs. even though i'm eating better lunches and dinners, but still feel queasy in morning and can only eat apple sauce and 10 dry shreddies. it's been 2 weeks since stopping the Oxycocet, taking Celebrex x2 day and occasionally Tylenol, which i'll take more regular once the Celebrex is gone and starting physio. i've gone off so many foods, including anything sweet, bananas, milk, tea, apples, bread; hoping to feel better soon. my knee is the least of my issues lol.
 
I didn't think just cutting out the one pill a day was going to have a reaction since my gradual weaning til now has been seamless. But it's the only time I've ever had those weird cold sweats and it was 24 hrs since my last dose when an article said all the meds would have cleared my system. According to the Bs article, I might only need to do the 1/2 pill for 3-4 days and not a week.
 
So much of this journey is figuring out the right mix and timing of meds!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ouch. Woke up with a throbbing pain on the inner side of my knee. I think this is from slacking on my meds too much. I've been taking like 2 doses of 1000mg tylenol, and then I took 1/2 percoset at night. I'm going to try to take the tylenol on a better schedule today and see if it helps. I've not really been aching like this since the first couple weeks. And yesterday was a pretty chill day, too.
 
So much pain. I'm really hoping this is just from the ODIC even though I haven't done too much the past few days. The PT did try to have me do some weights on Tuesday, but nothing hurt at the time. So it could be that. I dunno. Woudl it be normal for the knee to be angry on thurs for overdoing it on Tuesday? Not just pain, but I can't even get a 90° bend today without pain. I'm walking ok, it just doesn't want to bend. And I measured 125 without pain on Tuesday.

I'm basically confining myself to my recliner and my polar cube all day today. I see my OS tomorrow for follow up. anyone want to reassure me this is normal and Im not going to lose every one of my gains from the past 5w? I even just took my first day time percoset in 3w.
 
It is waaaaaaay too early for any weights, so I'm sure that's where your pain is coming from. Weights/strength work should be reserved for 3 months or even later depending on the knee and recovery. Imagine you had a broken leg and started using weights on it around a month after the injury. No one would do that, so I'm not sure why PTs do it with TKRs. My PTs waiting until 4-5 months post op before using weights and I had no pain at all.
 
Thanks. I'm done with PT for a couple weeks so I'm hoping BoneSmart bootcamp gets me back to where I was.
 
Jenn, I'm sure it will be fine. When I overdid last week and then had my two days at PT that were way to aggressive I felt like I couldn't bend for three days. You are doing all the right stuff. You had such a busy week last week and then adding weights on top of that was probably just too much. Hang in there surgery buddy. It will all come around as you follow your mantras.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I guess I got a little too cocky and thought I was driving this recovery. The knee has reminded me who is in charge.
 
I bet it is getting off the strong meds that's causing the pain. Can you ask your doctor for a step down pain med like Tramadol? But, to recover from the weight mishap PT put you through, you might want to go back on the stronger meds until your knee calms down. PT should have NEVER put weights on you. They should have know better than that. And who pays for their incompetence? You do, not them! It angers me knowing that you are needless going through this through no fault of your own! I will be praying for your relief.
 
I even questioned it and she aid after a month it's ok. And I went very slow and the leg press didn't hurt at all. The leg curls didn't hurt and I just couldn't do the leg extension. I told her and we got off the machine. But now I'm mad I ever tried knowing that my quad is still weak. It's like a tendon/ligament pain on the inside that hurts when I bend. Sigh.
 
Darn, Jenn. So sorry to hear you're having pain again. I bet it was the weights. A month is too soon, but some PTs just don't seem to have a working brain cell in their heads. Rest, ice, elevate. Chill. You'll feel better soon.
 
Back
Top Bottom