Guest viewing is limited

TKR Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again

Tomorrow I'm going to my daughters school for field day. She's expecting me to stay for 4 hours. Ha ha. I'll be lucky to manage an hour, mostly sitting on my Walker at my current pace. Weds I have my youngest's breakfast and my oldests field trip and his dr appt. Recovery and end of the school year May Madness don't mix.
@Jennszoo - Trying to attend all those things at schools is madness. Your new knee isn't even a month old yet.

You're right that end-of-year functions and knee recovery don't mix, and this year your knee must come first.

Go to your daughter's school field day, but only for a short while, not for 4 hours. Do the breakfast and take your son to the doctor's appointment, but forget the field trips.

I used to be very involved with all my children's school functions until I realised that it really didn't make a scrap of difference to their school performance, ot to their attitude to me. Can you explain to your children that you would like to be there, but this year you just can't do it, because your wounded knee needs more care. If you can explain to them that allowing your knee to heal properly will mean you can do more with them and for them later on, they may understand.

You cannot be all things to them this year. This year it is your turn. This recovery is about you and your knee and time spent looking after your knee is time well spent, not time wasted.

This article may help you:
Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help
 
Oh I'm not going for 4 hours. I laughed and laughed at her and explained to her she should be happy with what I can do. She's my dramatic kid. The field trip, hopefully it's a matter of just getting him there and finding a place to sit and elevate while the kids tour the safety village. I'm looking into renting a scooter for Friday and maybe I can get it here before Weds.

Woke up today with ankle pain. That's new. Right around my Achilles tendon. I'm guessing I need to be more careful of my gait. And do some stretches today.
 
That ankle pain can be due to your ankle taking on more work/weight because the muscles in your leg aren't ready yet. Take it easy as much as possible.
 
She was so excited that I made it. I mostly sat on my rollinator and stayed about 45 mins. Icing & elevating now and about to sneak in a nap after I eat some lunch.

[Bonesmart.org] Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again
 
Two things I noticed I did today without thinking.

1. Released my parking break with my left foot. Woah. I still had to engage it with my right, but it's something.
2. As I was just walking upstairs, I alternated my leg without thinking about it. Once I did it, I felt a slight twinge in the left leg, but no pain. So I went up the rest of the stairs alternating. Full disclosure, I was leaning a lot on the bannister when I was stepping on the left, but still. Progress!

And it's weird how these milestones hit when you're not even thinking, just reverting to old habits.
 
Now, that's some good improvement! It's cool to do something like you did without thinking about it! I think the more we don't think about our knees, the more it'll rehab itself! You are doing so good for all you have to be doing!
 
I'm glad you only went to your daughter's school for a short time. Do see if you can cut back the other events as well.
 
Hi @Jennszoo, it sounds like you are making great progress. From someone that has a difficult time thinking I can't do all I want or think I should do....please pace yourself. I've spent too much time making up for backwards progress because I think I can go, go, go. I think I learn my lesson and then I go off trying to do more than my knee wants. I wish I could get the knee into submission but she has a mind of her own! Looks like you are having your right knee done soon after mine. My date is June 5.
 
wowza jennszoo ~ you are a rockstar. you and your daughter are gorgeous and look so happy. hopefully tomorrow you will have a day to rest.
 
Tomorrow is just PT and I'm picking up a mobility scooter for the week to get me through the other stuff on my scheduke. Thanks for your kind words. :flwrysmile:
 
As I was just walking upstairs, I alternated my leg without thinking about it. Once I did it, I felt a slight twinge in the left leg, but no pain. So I went up the rest of the stairs alternating. Full disclosure, I was leaning a lot on the bannister when I was stepping on the left, but still. Progress!
That's exactly how it happens! People often fret about it and force themselves to do it but given time these things will all happen on their own! Congrats on finding the natural way!
 
It sounds like you are really putting a lot of thought into how to manage. I'm so glad field day went well. It's fantastic that you will have a scooter for the other activities. Kudos on the stairs. It does feel incredible to do something like that, especially when you are not forcing it and it just happens. Happy for you! :flwrysmile:
 
Busy morning. After dropping off my son, I went and picked up the mobility scooter. Did a test run of getting it out of my car, assembling and stopped into Kroger to buy bananas for my other daughters 3rd grade Bfast tomorrow. Successfully disassembled and got it back into the car. Went to PT. Worked on strength and balance, bc my RoM is still going well. Took them up on the ice afterwards (I usually decline bc I'm heading home to ice anyway) and now home. Whew. I was starving so I just ate and will head up to nap as soon as I hit "post reply".

Tomorrow I will use the scooter at my sons field trip and for the 2 long days at the pool for the special Olympics. I may survive this week yet.
 
Using that scooter is going to be a knee saver, for sure! Is there a way you can prop your leg up on it when you're not moving? That would help with the swelling that comes from having it down for a long time. Be sure and let us know how it goes tomorrow! Have lots of fun and don't get sunburn from this awful heat way that's coming on the side of the country! Oh yeah, be sure and use lots of sunscreen on your scar. It will burn very quickly.
 
I love this board. I'm having shin pain, down along the inner side of the bone. I searched the forum and several folks mentioned this kicking in once they started walking more, which I've been doing. And how, like I was suspecting, it's a common side effect of having a rod drilled into your Tibia. In other words, I'm not dying, stop,stressing, ease up. So thanks again, Bs.
 
Jenn I get that pain on both sides of my shin, at night in bed is when it usually appears after using it during the day, an ice pack on it helps.

Hope the scooter has helped.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm happy to report that i slept through the night for the first time 12-6iah. Also the first time not wearing the pumpers bc we forgot to charge them. Coincidence? I think I'm officially done with them since todays the 4w mark.
 
Yippee for a good night's sleep! And as for that shin pain, I still get it after walking a whole lot. It's at the top of the bone where the stem goes into it. So, your shin pain is completely normal. Don't worry about asking. I called my OS because I was concerned about it. It is normal to feel pain there. It gets much better as time goes on, but can still be there, even at a year. It's just noticeable, not even bad enough for Tylenol!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again
Survived my long day. The scooter was invaluable. And all the kids in my sons special needs school got a kick out of Ms Jenn's Ride. (I'm a speech therapist at the clinic next door so they all know me and some are my clients).

Then we went to his psych appt and now we're in drive thru line for celebratory milkshakes before heading home.

No real increase in pain, but the swelling. Hoo boy. This knee needs some ice & elevation!
 
I loved your pictures @Jennszoo! I loved the smiles. Enjoy those milkshakes, you deserve them. What part of Atlanta are you in? Where was your surgery? I work in Atlanta quite a bit but live in Chattanooga. I teach cardiac monitoring so I am in many of the Atlanta hospitals. Get home and elevate and ice. Your smiles made me smile today!:giggle:
 
Back
Top Bottom