TKR Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again

Hi Jenn, I am at 7 wks and I went through the same thing a few weeks ago . I still have it in the upper part of my incision but it is not as bad. Guess it is all part of the healing process.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Wow Jenn you have a big day. Let us know how driving goes! I can't wait to drive again. I can't believe how many times I just want to run somewhere real quick to get something at the store which is very close to my house but then I wait for one of my kids or husband to get it for me. Good luck at pt today too. I leave for pt in an hour! :). Have a good rest afterward!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Driving has been going well. I get a little achy by the end and I'm grumpy bc I'm tired, but no significant increase in pain. I still haven't done any shopping. I may attempt using the scooter at Walmart next week. But I'm affid of getting there and it's not available or not charged and then I'm stuck.
 
What I'm most afraid of driving is not being able to find a handicap parking space when I get there. I have a sticker and whenever my husband takes me out he has to drop me off at the front and park somewhere else because there are no spots.

If I were to go somewhere by myself I don't think I would be able to walk that far without serious whining from my knee :bignono:
 
So far I've mostly only gone to my son school which is a small private school with parking right out front. And PT, so parking is easy as well. I did go to an event at the middle school my daughter is going next year and even the HC parking was so far. I was so tired when I got in the building.
 
I found not a lot of thought goes into placement of handicap parking spots. When I returned to work in the middle of a harsh winter I remembered the handicap spots were at the far end of the parking lot, the furthest spots from the handicap ramp. This meant I'd be walking across an icy, snowy parking lot. So I went to my principal and superintendent, explained and a handicap spot went up right across from the ramp which was right beside my classroom.
 
I still haven't done any shopping. I may attempt using the scooter at Walmart next week. But I'm affid of getting there and it's not available or not charged and then I'm stuck.
Jenn, it's much too early in your recovery for you to be doing the shopping. It's not even a month since you had your TKR. You are trying to do too much.
Read this again - Activity progression for THRs
Make a list and ask your husband to do the shopping for you. If you don't, your knee will become inflamed and more painful and its progress could be delayed.
 
Oh it wouldn't really be to shop, more bc I'm bored out of my mind. Lol. He's been keeping up with the main shopping and we supplmenet with Insta Cart.
 
I'm glad to hear it, Jenn. The thought of you trying to shop in Walmart at this stage was quite frightening!
 
I'm more of an aldi girl myself anyway. Smaller, cheaper and less walking. I avoided the giant stores before surgery.
 
I love Aldi! We don't have one close to home but when we go to Dallas, We always go there.

I wish I could get by on just Tylenol, I must have a low pain tolerance as I am still on pain meds day and night. Every time I try to cut back, it hasn't worked...hopefully soon!

You are doing great!
 
I didn't wanna, but I had to go celebrate my MIL for Mother's Day. So it involved an hour drive, eating lunch at Ruby Tuesdays, then I parked it on her couch for awhile with my ice machine, but had to converse and be social, then an hour drive home. I was sooo sooo tired in the car. Got home too late to nap, but at least I layed in the bed and tried to rest. Now the knee is tight and letting me know I did too much.

Tomorrow I'm going to my daughters school for field day. She's expecting me to stay for 4 hours. Ha ha. I'll be lucky to manage an hour, mostly sitting on my Walker at my current pace. Weds I have my youngest's breakfast and my oldests field trip and his dr appt. Recovery and end of the school year May Madness don't mix. I need a clone.
 
Jenn, I am a big believer in being involved at school, I'm going on a field trip with my granddaughter's class on the 24th, but I think you might need to rethink some of the activities you have planned. I'm sure your kids and their teachers would understand if you skipped some of it this year if you told them you just weren't physically ready. It really sounds like a lot to do so soon in your recovery.
 
Cut back those activities as much as possible. You knee is going to raise Cain if you don't. I agree that your kids will understand. You healing has to come first!
 
I know. But my son has special needs and if he doesn't have a chaperone & transportation, he can't go. He attends a small private school. But I'll be able to sit & rest a lot at this field trip. Trust me, I've already passed on one that involved 2 museums and one that was to Legoland this month. I'm doing my best at picking my battles for my poor knee. And my husband is picking up what he can. There's just so many things this last month of school. I'm saying no to as many as I can get away with.

I still haven't figured out how I'm supposed to manage 10 hours at the pool for his special olympic time trials on Friday. That's the one that's really stressing me.
 
That's a lot of activity for a month post op. At least you don't have to climb bus steps, but I hope you can spend the bulk of the day sitting with your leg up. As far as time trials or field day, could a friend tape parts of the day so you can watch with the kids when they get home?

My best friend has had a rare cancer for 20+ years. It meant a lot of hospital stays and many days she could not care for her children or attend activities and her husband was busy caring for her. Enter KarriB, I drove kids to practices, attended games, concerts, flew to other states for soccer championships. There may be someone who'd love to step in for you. Today I got a "bonus Mom" card at breakfast. :yes:
 
I've already called in so many favors and broke the bank paying for help since surgery. It's exhausting. My village is pretty limited as it is because so many of my peers are just as busy with their own kid's year end madness. I was just looking at scooter rentals to help me navigate fridays long day. So I'm going to pace myself as well as I can.
 
Good luck to you Jenn. I understand the mom duties and the end of school madness completely. Hope you can bring ice with you and give yourself lots of sitting and elevating time while you are there. My son just directed an amazing play and I'm hoping they can accommodate me next week to put my leg up and go watch it and my youngest is receiving an award at high school tomorrow night where I will be the lady sitting with her leg up and ice strapped around my knee. I will be thinking of you with your busy week and sending you good healing vibes to get through it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom