TKR Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again

Thanks! I totally get the too much exercise > swelling > pain > decreased rom cycle. I just wasn't sure if it was a similar story in the case of a muscle just giving up and not firing. Lol. I'll keep resting and trying not to worry! I'm walking, standing, getting better each day. Time to focus on those little baby steps.
 
It just takes some quads a little longer to wake up. It may be totally different with your right knee. You're just coming up on three weeks. It took mu quads 2 weeks. In transition unit/rehab the PT was so concerned that I couldn't lift my leg that as I was laying on the PT table she lifted my leg straight into the air to try to get it to remember and wake up. That was when I said no one was touching my leg again and started practicing with the leg lifter. I've been doing SLL with my left knee so that maybe it won't take so long when I have that one done.
 
Picked up my son today. The roundtrip drive was exhausting. I can't nap in the mornings, my nap times have been around 1/2ish. So I think I'm going to try drop off tomorrow morning and that way I can nap in the afternoon. I'm so tired. But kids are home, so no naps now. It's nice to be able to help my husband with this. Him doing both runs was taking 2-3 hrs from his work day.
 
That is a real accomplishment! If no nap is in your near future hopefully you can at least kick back and ice and elevate for a little bit.
 
@Jennszoo
You will notice that I have moved your posts about your sleepy quads and the responses to those posts from the thread they were in, in the Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area. That's because they were really about your own recovery and belonged more appropriately in your recovery thread. As such, they took the Pre-Op thread off topic.
Forum etiquette: being polite when posting
 
Hey Jenn, I'm not having the quad issue that you are but I went to pt today and I thought of you. The therapist told me that a lot of people have different issues with the quads like not firing and he said to use a rolling pin on your thigh while you were stretching. I have no idea if this would help you or not but thought I'd mention it just in case. Good luck!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I've heard of people using a rolling pin on the IT band, but it's too early to use that right now anyway. Your soft tissue is too sensitive to be rolled. That's why massage is better left for later also, the soft tissue needs to settle and heal.
 
After 6 weeks or so, I used the rolling pin on my terribly sore calf muscle. It felt so good!
 
The Church Pew exercise (google it and it gives a YouTube clip on how to do it) helped to wake my quads up as it was over 3wks before mine fired.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
That's fabulous. I love the idea behind bringing the muscle in autonomicly. I can do some very limited small arc raises now, but I'm going to try this as well.
 
OK, it sounds like they are starting to fire! Wonderful!
 
Thanks @KarriB for providing the correct and more detailed information [emoji3]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You're welcome! You actually reminded me of this exercise. I had forgotten about it.
 
3 week update. Doing well. Still managing with tylenol during the day (plus gabapentin, aspirin and colace) and percoset at night (2doses). I noticed I didn't have to kick my leg out when I sat on the toilet and the heel slides felt easier today so I asked the Pt to measure my Flexion. 118°. Holy cow! I was just hoping for more than 90. i bragged on my BS ways - very minimal exercise outside of ADLs and near constant ice/rest/elevation. It's working! Did more estim on the sleepy quad. I can do short raises while sitting, still can't do a straight leg raise on my own. But I can almost lift the leg into the car without an assist. So it's getting there. And I care more about functional things (lifting leg into car) more than random exercises (leg lifts) anyway.

Now to try to nap despite my neighbor sawing away building a tree house. 75 mins til the kids get home.
 
Wow, 118 rom is fabulous! The rest will full into place.
Enjoy that nap [emoji42]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You are so right, Jennszoo, it is being able to do the things you need to do, not how much you can lift your leg. That is what this surgery is for, to make our daily living easier!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom