Guest viewing is limited

TKR Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again

Other than them bringing me the wrong food 4x (!!) it was great. My ice pack got warm, and I had to use the restroom anyway. So I used the rails to get across the row and Down the stairs to my Walker and asked a staff member to fill a gallon ziplock that I brought with ice. She did and it lasted the rest of the movie. The recliners in the fancy theater were great and comfy. Now I'm home and only feeling some tightness and a little achy but I'm due for Tylenol.
 
Great! I'm glad they filled your ice bag. It does wonders to get out even if you're a bit compromised. That was extra activity may bring on an afternoon nap!
 
My husband and son are at his school dance, my youngest is at Girl Scouts. I Just settled into bed with my pillows and my polar cube while my middle (11yo) is working on a school, project next to me. Prayers she lets me rest. But without her siblings here to fight with, the odds are in my favor.
 
So glad you got out and had a pretty good time. I hope you are getting your nap now.
 
So glad you were able to get out and still be comfortable!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Nap achieved! Neighbor invited us over to grill hot dogs over her fire pit. So I'm going to attempt Activity #2'of the day. Whew. But I'm right next door if the knee gets too achy. And at least this is an easy way to get the 2 kids im in charge of fed....
 
Good idea! Make sure that you can sit down at your neighbour's, with your leg up on a second chair, while the family eats.
 
Have fun! Be careful and elevate. So crazy when we feel better and think we can do things and then we swell so easily. Enjoy your fun night!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hard to get comfy at the neighbors. Chair heights weren't working for elevation. So I'm back in my recliner with my polar cube. My blessed polar cube. But the social interaction was well needed.
 
At least you were able to spend a little time with your neighbor! Even a little time out is a huge mood lifter!
 
Hopefully you were there long enough to get the kids fed...
 
wow jennszoo, you are doing amazing. i was wondering what the polar cube is? is your incision open air now and if so, do you worry about putting anything on top, such as an ice pack, blanket, etc.? i was wondering if we have to be careful of keeping it clean. i still have the steri strips on my incision but they are starting to come off.
 
Mine is open air. It's fairly well sealed, but not perfect. I put a towel on it and then wrap the cuff for the polar cube (ice machine). Or like today, when using a regular ice pack, I just used my pants as the buffer. I was told to leave it alone and just let the soapy water run over it in my showers. I've only had my bandage off since last Monday.
 
Paula, did your quad go to sleep? I've been trying to follow BS protocols, gentle stretches, focusing on ADLs. But my quad is still not firing without a huge struggle. So PT has been using estim to get it moving. But the lifts when I try them at home hurt my kneecap. So on one hand, I don't want to do anything that causes pain. But on the other hand, I'd like my quad to work again. But maybe I just need to chill and let it come. I just was wondering if the quad not firing will resolve without PT or if Thats an unusual post-surgical complication.
 
The next day after my surgery, I was able to lift my leg while I still had the block effects in it. I knew my quads were firing. After that block wore off I stopped lifting my leg by itself, because it hurt way too much. I used my good leg to lift my new leg for at least a few weeks or so. I didn't even try to lift my leg by itself until my pain level went down. I don't have kneecaps, so my pain was way deep in my new joint. Your knee is still a newborn and your quad is probably protecting your new knee, not allowing it to be hurt. Try using assistant devices for as long as you need, maybe trying just a little bit of it's independent lifting once in a while. If it hurts, your knee isn't ready for it. It will get back when it's ready. You can't force it. That'll just set you back. Try not to worry about it, it'll come!
 
You don't need PT to get your quad your back. Just practicing straight leg lifts is enough. When I went to PT at 2.5 months they used e-stim on me 3x a week.
 
Right but the straight leg lifts arent happening. Which is why I was wondering if certain situations may warrant more aggressive PT. I do use my other leg to assist and I'm managing, but it's just a question of, unlike ROM, will this resolve on its own or does it require "help"?
 
In my opinion, it will resolve itself when it's ready. Aggressive therapy will only set your knee recovery back with increased swelling and pain. I think you're worry too much. Stress slows down recovery, too.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom