TKR Jeffs new left knee"

@referee54: I didn't think my house work, cooking and cleaning up and down stairs was physical therapy but as I listen to my knee it is. Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts and wisdom. It has really help me.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Well, I wasn't allowed to bend for a month due to infection, when my OS said I could bend he ordered "non-aggressive" bending due to the beating soft tissue takes with aggressive bending and mine was already compromised. The whole month I asked my OS if my knee would bend, he always answered that the knee would bend when we told it to bend. My dr said he'd be happy with a ROM of 90, but riding a bike and squats in the water take more than 90, I just didn't worry about the numbers and focused on what I was able to do.
Yes, I only did gentle heel slides, stretching (I did straight leg raises with my imbolizer on) and the steps (13) I needed to do things in my house. It was stiff at first. Once I started biking I rocked pedals back and forth for about a week of pt until I went the whole way around. My dr said when I get the other knee done he'll want non-aggressive pt also because my soft tissue gets angry quickly.
 
KarriB, Okay, sorry to hear about the infection praise God that everything worked out. I think that I'll cut back on being aggressive and take the gentle approach plus my stairs up and down and everyday living will be PT as well. Thanks .

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
I live alone too and have three small dogs to look after and send out during the day. It is a lot of work just doing the daily things you need to do. Just think about how much you are walking around your house and your steps as a PT visit. You are probably doing much more than you would have done there. You're really doing great.
 
Thanks newly bionic; never thought about it that way.....

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Squats are really hard on a new knee, Jeff. I never even tried them until at least 3 months and then only in the water.
 
Squats are really hard on a new knee, Jeff. I never even tried them until at least 3 months and then only in the water.
I wonder why my therapist had me doing them??? Wow, I am learning so much now. Thank you!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Jeff, if you'd answered my questions as I requested (like in detail!) I would be able to advise you specifically on this. Please try again.
@Josephine I am right now pain level about a 3 or maybe 4 if I do to much. It's a stiffness and a sharp pain. I am taking now tramadol 3 times a day along with Tylenol 3 codean 3 times a day. Along with
Asprin to prevent blood clots.

I am bending at a 90 ROM setting and can do full peddling on excise bike backwards and fowards. Im over a 100 ROM accept when I'm laying on my stomach it's almost 90 rom. The swelling is moderate, the pain from swelling has gone down to about a 3. I still ice and elevate my leg at least 3 to 4 times a day. I sleep with elevation every night. When I go to outpatient therapy he have me doing the same things I'm doing at home expect riding the bike. I am up and down the stairs at least 3 times a day and cooking cleaning walking around the house that's about it.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
 
I am actually 30 days out now a month and I'm on a cane. I can walk short distance with out cane but have a limp. Is it to early for me to go to the gym for light machine work on knee?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
 
Jeff, it's best to use your cane until you walk without a limp. Although you might not need it for support, you do need it to help correct your gait.

I do think it's still too early to be doing machine work with your knee.
 
I believe the rule of thumb is not weight or strength exercises on a TKR for 3-4 months. My pt/OS started strength exercises right around that point. My pt group had really cool computerized machines that was like playing a game but bending and pushing weights to maneuver through brick walls, etc. I loved it and felt no pain whatsoever because we waited until the knee wasn't so angry.
 
Hi Jeff - wondered where you'd disappeared to. Good to hear from you again.

I would just first say that one month is still very early in your recovery and swelling and stiffness (actually being two parts of the same thing if you think about it Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?) is still an ever present issue.

If you don't mind, I'd really like to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery! :no-fin:) Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

6. how swollen is your leg?
[Bonesmart.org] Jeffs new left knee"


7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often?

Can you describe them like these examples ....

Exercises done at home: 3 sessions a day
Heel slides x10 (reps)
Straight leg raises x10
Steps x10

At PT
Squats x5 (reps) x2 (sets)
Wall slides x5 x2
Clamshells X5 x2



I'm sorry not enough detail.


1# level and types of pain- My pain level is 4 and 5 and it's a aching type of pain. It is the same level of pain with the soreness and stiffness as well. The pain from swelling is also between 4-5.

2# Pain medication - I am taking octocodea
Jeff, it's best to use your cane until you walk without a limp. Although you might not need it for support, you do need it to help correct your gait.

I do think it's still too early to be doing machine work with your knee.
@ celle: I appreciate it the cane will help with my gate thanks. When i got my hips replaced it turned both feet inwards and if I don't focus they often hit each other. My OS said that he could straighten some with the knees being replaced. Maybe when I get my right knee replaced it will straight up my foot some.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
I believe the rule of thumb is not weight or strength exercises on a TKR for 3-4 months. My pt/OS started strength exercises right around that point. My pt group had really cool computerized machines that was like playing a game but bending and pushing weights to maneuver through brick walls, etc. I loved it and felt no pain whatsoever because we waited until the knee wasn't so angry.
@kerriB: so you think I should keep focusing on the ROM instead of the strengthen of the knee? I should wait until like 3 months for the gym? I'm gonna do my own physical therapy at home with the ROM. I got some cool videos off youtube. My next appointment with my OS is June unless my right knee become to painful for its bone on bone. I would like to wait a full year before I have it replaced. This is my 3rd joint replacement in less then 2 years.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
so you think I should keep focusing on the ROM instead of the strengthen of the knee? I should wait until like 3 months for the gym?
You got it! Your knee needs plenty of time to heal before you start strengthening. Some strength will return during those three months, as you gradually use your knee more anyway.
 
Thanks Celle. I appreciate it a great dea.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Yep, I agree with Celle and so did my OS. Strength training on a new knee will just make it mad and swollen, negating any ROM you've gained. The time for strengthening will come, just not this early.
 
Yep, I agree with Celle and so did my OS. Strength training on a new knee will just make it mad and swollen, negating any ROM you've gained. The time for strengthening will come, just not this early.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom