Guest viewing is limited

TKR Jeffs new left knee"

I'm over 4 weeks out now and it's getting better with the range of motion I have over 90 with sitting and I'm about 110 ROM that's a lot this early in my recovery. The pain is going down to where I can take not so much narcotics anymore. Just Tylenol and maybe tramadol. I wonder if I could walk a mile now or should I even try it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
I think that's a good idea. One in the am and see how you feel in the pm.
 
Wow--you are inspiring me Jeff.
I am 4 weeks behind you and not ready for a walk yet, but thinking about it makes me happy.
 
Jeff, I didn't bother about the distance, but I gradually increased the length of my walks.

At first, I walked for 5 minutes, then turned back. A couple of days later, I walked for 7 minutes, then turned back. I just continued to increase the time gradually. That worked well for me.
 
Jeff, I didn't bother about the distance, but I gradually increased the length of my walks.

At first, I walked for 5 minutes, then turned back. A couple of days later, I walked for 7 minutes, then turned back. I just continued to increase the time gradually. That worked well for me.
Okay I'm gonna go for ten minutes .

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
I always walked half the distance I thought I could walk. Then slowly increased as I got more confident. You will probably remember the energy drain you had after THR. The same thing happens after TKR. Pushing too hard may bring it on and you certainly don't want to be exhausted and still have to walk back home. Easy does it! You'll get there!
 
I always walked half the distance I thought I could walk. Then slowly increased as I got more confident. You will probably remember the energy drain you had after THR. The same thing happens after TKR. Pushing too hard may bring it on and you certainly don't want to be exhausted and still have to walk back home. Easy does it! You'll get there!
You right about that . That energy drain is rough

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Sounds like you're doing great. Given that you're doing some household tasks, remember that counts as walking and activity. So short walks are just fine right now. Slow and steady wins the race. :)
 
Well it's been 5 and a half weeks sense surgery and I'm walking well with a cane. The knee still gets stiff and the swelling has gone done a great deal but still gets swollen after a work out. I am bending with great ROM. Doing squats, and climbing stairs and doing the daily chores. My question is how long does it take to get the full ROM back?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
My question is how long does it take to get the full ROM back?
It can take a year or so to fully regain ROM. I was at about 80%-85% at six months and at 90%-95%-100% at around eight months---and I continued to gain ROM in tiny increments through about a year or so.

It will come---it takes a little time. you are doing well, just listen to the knee and do not try to push through things, as this is not an athletic injury that many of us are used to dealing with. I had to get used to the idea of resting the knee from time to time---and once I saw that the results were positive, I started to buy into it more an more.
 
It can take a few more weeks to get most of your bend back, but some people continue to gain ROM. Remember you are far from healed and still need to take it easy on the knee.

Personally I would NOT do squats yet as that is likely making the knee more angry--therefore swollen and stiff--at this stage.
The stiffness after activity can last many months--the key is to find a way to pace yourself and it will gradually improve. For example, maybe one chore a day and a short walk for now.

Think of it this way--it's recommended to take off work for 12 weeks, because it's not until about that time that you're feeling ready--for the knee itself and your energy etc. You're only 1/2 way there. And once you hit 12 weeks the healing is still continuing.

Remember also that knees are a whole different ball game than hips.

You're doing just fine. hang in there. :)
 
It can take a year or so to fully regain ROM. I was at about 80%-85% at six months and at 90%-95%-100% at around eight months---and I continued to gain ROM in tiny increments through about a year or so.

It will come---it takes a little time. you are doing well, just listen to the knee and do not try to push through things, as this is not an athletic injury that many of us are used to dealing with. I had to get used to the idea of resting the knee from time to time---and once I saw that the results were positive, I started to buy into it more an more.
It can take a year or so? I thought we had a small time frame dealing with this knee scare tissue from the surgery? Also my hips are bothering me a little sense I had this knee replacement 5 weeks ago. I had both hips replaced last year. I wonder is it because everything is off balance? I have to have the right knee done. But I'm gonna wait until maybe this winter if I can hold out!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
It can take a few more weeks to get most of your bend back, but some people continue to gain ROM. Remember you are far from healed and still need to take it easy on the knee.

Personally I would NOT do squats yet as that is likely making the knee more angry--therefore swollen and stiff--at this stage.
The stiffness after activity can last many months--the key is to find a way to pace yourself and it will gradually improve. For example, maybe one chore a day and a short walk for now.

Think of it this way--it's recommended to take off work for 12 weeks, because it's not until about that time that you're feeling ready--for the knee itself and your energy etc. You're only 1/2 way there. And once you hit 12 weeks the healing is still continuing.

Remember also that knees are a whole different ball game than hips.

You're doing just fine. hang in there. :)
Thanks I really appreciate it. I'm only have way there and that's encouraging to here because I was scared that that time frame of hardening scare tissue is happening.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Hey surgery buddy!!
It sounds like you are doing great!!!

My experience has been that I have had the best ROM when I have the least amount of swelling.
When I visit the ODIC (like Christmas) my range goes away for a day or two.
My first knee is about four and a half months old, and I have about 130 degrees ROM.
I got most of that by week 12 and have gained a degree or two the last few weeks...probably because I slowed down a bunch recovering from knee #2!

My conclusion is that I do myself no favor overdoing it!!
 
Hey surgery buddy!!
It sounds like you are doing great!!!

My experience has been that I have had the best ROM when I have the least amount of swelling.
When I visit the ODIC (like Christmas) my range goes away for a day or two.
My first knee is about four and a half months old, and I have about 130 degrees ROM.
I got most of that by week 12 and have gained a degree or two the last few weeks...probably because I slowed down a bunch recovering from knee #2!

My conclusion is that I do myself no favor overdoing it!!
That's awesome surgery buddy, after my in house therapy was over with for 4 weeks I then went to out patient therapy and was riding the bike and doing legs lifts and knee slides. I been doing my own therapy now and it seems to be get better and better. My ROM is coming but the knee gets stiff when finished and swells some but not a lot. I am learning to take it easy and not push to hard. I walk about 1/2 mile as well. Sounds like your doing great ... happy new year

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom