THR JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Days 15 & 16. These past two days have been pretty uneventful, thank God. I did my usual PT sessions and continue to ice my hip a couple of times a day and elevate my leg. With @muckingabout and. @aprilc going to the ER with possible DVT, I'm even more careful to use those precautions.


I switched from my walker to my cane this morning. I had promised my PT gal that I would try and it's been easier than I thought. I still use my walker for some of my PT exercises but it's not been used today other than that. Makes me happy.

Hubby and dog went home to the coast this morning so I'm alone now until Friday except for sisters visits and PT checks. My housekeeper is also coming Thursday. I missed them as soon as they drove away. I think I do better with them here but hubby has been taking such good care of me, it's probably good for me to have to move around more and see what I can do alone. I hate these lessons.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal, congrats! It sounds like you have stepped into a new phase of independence. That's terrific. Onward and upward.
 
[Bonesmart.org] JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!


Here's Banjo!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
He's sooo sweet! We had goldens before we got Spenser. What a great name too.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I love that dog!! They are so much a part of our lives. I really think they help us heal.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal love the Goldens... But honestly how can you not?

I'm back solo for the week and it is much nicer having family around. If for nothing else the companionship makes the time go by so much faster.

I started using the cane today too and I'll just say it's different... Not bad but I don't feel very stead either.
 
@rans0m00, good to hear from you! Solo sucks but I know it's for the best. Hubby has got my work in addition to his to do this week as we've put it off as long as we dare. I'm so grateful for his help across the board so I'm really going to concentrate on upping my PT a bit and see where I can be by Friday.

How is your pain level? Are you still on same pain med schedule??


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal my base pain level has gone down a little but it fluctuates quite a bit. Sometimes it's low enough I barely even think about the hip and other times it hurts enough to wake me out of my sleep. The pain meds I'm taking every 4-5 hrs. Wishing it wasn't so often but any less and the pain grows to the point of not walking without trying to compensate etc..

So it's just the way things are for now. I'm doing everything I can to help my body heal itself so I shall just wait.
 
Banjo is a beauty! Our golden passed away just over a year ago and we miss her terribly. We were nervous of another golden and comparing it with her so we now have a totally silly, stubborn Basset Hound named Truffles. I was left alone a few times when I just had the broken leg, quite the challenge with no family close by at all. Hubby went to South Africa once for 2 weeks and of course my housekeeper phoned in sick - it was kind of awful :) Transporting food, etc is the hardest. I used a small re-useable grocery bag and put covered casserole dishes in it. A thermos is good to refill your glass from. Don't try to do too much while home alone, take advantage of the opportunity to rest.
 
@rans0m00, glad your pain meds are doing the trick. It's super important to have it under control for your rehab. I know you monitor it closely so no worry there. Hope you're sleeping well too. That's equally important.

@Carriemay60, although I miss my boys terribly, I need this time alone. I'm carefully trying new things that I'd be fussed at for doing were hubby here. I've transitioned to my cane so I have one free hand for transporting. The extra trips from kitchen to living room or dining room just add more steps to my workouts!

I'm thinking I'll try the hand towel on the shower floor today when my sister stops by to keep watch over my bathing. That makes the most sense right now.

I had a full eight hours of sleep last night. I woke up at some point and was hot but found I had thrown the covers off when I was ready to get up. I can't tell you how much better I feel with this type of rest. My wish for all on this forum is sleep like that. I know how the hip pain used to keep me awake for nights on end. This is pure bliss.

One more little item of note...on my non op leg, I've always been able to let my knee fall to the outside of my right hip so that my foot rests on the inside of my inner left groin - like you would sit cross - legged on the floor but just the right leg. This morning, I tested my left ( op leg ) to see if it would fall open to the outside and how far. Before surgery, I couldn't do this at all. I'd have to keep left leg straight. Imagine my surprise - in bed this morning - when that left knee opened as easily as my right knee!! No pain, either !! Mind you, I did not push or strain. But I see the potential to have identical movements from both sides and that is a HUGE encouragement!

I think I'll have Portuguese soup from my freezer for supper tonight so out it comes from the freezer. Healthy and hearty soup, full of Churizo sausage, cannelloni beans, carrots, and cabbage. Yum!

Working from here today so I'll be checking in with forum again this afternoon!! Let's make it a good day, y'all!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal
Your progress is great and quite inspiring to me. You lead as a good example and I enjoy following your posts. Nice to see a photo of Banjo as well. How old? Looks like he might have some wisdom to share...
 
@grnplatebrd, Banjo is nine. He's always had an old soul, though. His kindness and sensitivity attract kids of all ages to pet and hug him. We are blessed to have him.

I just had shower #2. Used the hand towel on shower floor for grip and it worked fine. My stamina during and after this shower is 100% better than last Friday. So happy to be clean and still upright!

My PT gal made my initial visit/consult for outpatient PT beginning 8/18. The facility is state-of-the- art and very near our home. I confessed to her that I didn't feel ready to move into this new arena but she says I am. Trust her judgement.





Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
hey @beachgal -
just stopped by to see how you're doing and everything sounds great -
i'm 3 days short of the magical 6 weeks, and it really is amazing -
i only use a cane on stairs, i can put on sox and shoes and tie them (never thought i'd be excited about that . . .)
walking outside without a cane ~.8 miles in 20 minutes. not breaking any speed records, but just taking it easy until things are all copacetic. went out to dinner over the weekend, sat for 2 hrs on a regular chair (with a cushion) and aside from some slight butt discomfort toward the end and initial stiffness on getting up, i felt great.
i see my surgeon tomorrow for the first time since the surgery.
i have a feeling this is gonna be a 5 minute visit . . .
patience is the key - you're doing great -
 
Just a quick check-in this morning. I had another banner night of sleep last night (sorry, insomniacs!) and think it's because I'm really trying to stay as active and busy during the day as possible without overdoing it.

I did five PT sessions at home yesterday along with extra calf raises while at the kitchen and bathroom counters so this morning, they are SCREAMING!!! It's a familiar muscle pain that feels so good. I remember when I used to workout at the gym and had these same sore calves after doing my leg routine. Happy!!

I'm going to catch up on writing some thank-you notes today and working a bit later this afternoon. No PT gal today but already have done one session. That is my real job these next four weeks. PT is my job!!!




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal
Great job, nice that you are sleeping well. I am up and down with my sleep quality still. I am sometimes amazed at how I am not more tired at night. I think I need to borrow some lessons from all of you and write some Thank You notes and read more. I will add calf rises to me routine as well, thanks for sharing. Enjoy your day
 
Days 17 & 18. Two full days without hubby and dog but I'm managing well. Sisters have all been in and out, helped me with shower and a visit. My PT is on schedule.

My little victory today is that I washed a load of clothes alone! I was careful to have my reacher handy and since we have a stacked washer/dryer here, unloading from the dryer was easy. It made me feel a bit more independent and normal!

The lawn guy was by this morning and happy to chat a minute. Funny. When folks find out about my THR, they always tell me about so-and-so who had one and how it changed their life. I figure I must need to hear those encouraging words from unexpected sources and file them in my gratitude box mentally. Blessing.

There are days that I really don't feel like my progress is up to my expectations. My fear is that I'll get to six weeks and be released by OS and still not be "right". Is that silly? I know it will take longer than six weeks to get my groove back but can I do it alone without PT? Hmmm

See what I mean about taking one day at a time? It's hard!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @beachgal,

6 weeks was my head as a bit of a landmark moment. I think it was because I was going to allowed to drive and would feel independent again. Also the hospital PT said if I was up to it I could ditch the crutch...no joy there yet but it's getting better.

Is your review with your OS at 6 weeks? I think mine pushes it to 8 weeks intentionally to stretch that initial recovery period. But despite me being slower than I would like, you do start to feel stronger and do a little more.... but I think it can feel a bit like baby steps.

I didn't have PT during that time as it's not part of my OS' s protocol. I started at 8 weeks due to my gait and LLD. I'm sure if you need it when reviewed by your OS it can be arranged.

But yeah for the small daily achievements. Who'd have thought having a shower and doing the washing would feel so good?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@beachgal great report...you are doing well by anyone's standards. When you see your OS at 6 weeks it's good to get the validation that all is well but as for feeling 'right'....I don't want to put you off but it it takes a wee while longer until all is back to normal honey....but each week/month brings better things! As for the PT you really don't need a lot....regular walking, swimming & everyday activities provide enough exercise...
You sound like you are doing so well.....you are right though....it is hard sometimes as we all want to be 'normal' quicker! Take care & keep up that great attitude xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
It seems you are doing fantastic! I think I am secretly happy my laundry is in the basement and no rails on those stairs so it will be a while before I do much down there. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom