THR JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are cracking me up this morning!! Love the undressing/dressing comment, @muckingabout. Mine, too! I've tried to sleep in short gowns so no problem with no undies for potty breaks in night. Last night I even got a cuddle from hubby who has avoided me and my hip like the plague. Think he's easing up a bit now, too. Remember this surgery affects all of us. I don't , however , trust him with a razor. Haha. No shaved legs yet but with these compression socks no one notices.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @muckinabout, you sound so upbeat! I still have the occasional bout of insomnia but that may be just habit rather than the hip!

I had a shower the day after I got home but I had a shower chair and definitely felt I needed it for the first few weeks..... especially when washing my hair which at the time was longer. ... I managed alone but for the first month I always left the door unlocked and took a shower when someone else was about. I was a little nervous but it felt so good. ..
 
@muckingabout, thanks for the reminder about blood thinners and shaving. Duh. What was I thinking?? I haven't yet put on my compression sock on the op leg since my shower yesterday. Feels so good to go without it. I fell asleep earlier than usual last night and hubby didn't have the heart to wake me up to put it on. Still have to wear it for two more weeks but if my PT gal wasn't coming regularly, I'd be tempted to lose it forever. :-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@beachgal, I had DVT when I was pregnant and I am a total nag/DVT evangelist. Even though it was 30 years ago, I'm conscious about preventative measures. I tell people to chose aisle seats when on airplanes and to take regular breaks on road trips. I'm probably annoying, but I don't care:)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks for the nag!! When we fly, particularly internationally, I'm the passenger that everyone hates. I drink water constantly which gives me excuse to walk to every toilet on board. Hubby gets aisle seat. When everyone else is asleep, we're doing laps around the large cabin.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal
you have a great and interesting thread going here. Nice to see you are doing so well and keep such a great attitude. Curious, how extensive is your in-home physical therapy? Right now my OS just has me going with a group of about 10 exercises, most of them seem to be the common ones. Most are 2 sets a day and some are 5 sets. During my research with outpatient physical therapists, most indicated that I would not see them until at least weeks 3-4 and it will be in their facility. Keep on healing!
 
@grnplatebrd, my inhouse PT is not intense. As a former gym rat, I know what these little stretches are suppose to accomplish. I do four PT sessions each day, mostly consisting of the basic ten exercises we all know and love, 20 reps each. I do my marching steps and standing squats without holding on to my walker. I have started walking around our neighborhood over the past four days. PT gal was surprised when I told her. I know walking is AS important if not MORE important than anything else so that is where I set my short-term goals. Each day I go at least one house further from ours. I should be at the end of the street by next weekend.

I don't think my progress is particularly great. The best I can say is that I'm being deliberate and methodical in my approach. I am not taking any pain meds but do find some light muscle ache in the mornings which tells me that my PT is working but not damaging.

I start PT at the Healthplex next Monday. They will try to kick my butt. Ain't happening. I'm going to stay the course and increase my movements slowly so my rehab stays on track. I'm in it for the long haul.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal
Sounds like you are on a good routine and I might follow in a similar way. I am trying to strike a good balance of slow but focused recovery. Not too slow, but not too fast. Still getting use to understanding what just happened ;) Look forward to your ongoing progress
 
Okay ladies, @cthipster and @beachgal, I woke up this morning and immediately decided that today is shower day! I don't know how, in a single day, I went from fine with baby wipes and dry shampoo to ugh! Get me in the shower!

So today, shower, TEDS get a rinse and I'm taking the show downstairs to the recliner. I was really kind of nervous about going back down the steps, but i sped down them like a champ yesterday. I'll have access to the smart tv down there and can watch netflix and amazon prime.
 
@muckingabout, enjoy the long, hot shower and expanded viewing? Have you seen the BBC Sherlock series? I loved it! It's on Netflix.
 
@muckingabout, I operate much the same as you. I adhere to all the rules and when it's time, I know it. Good for you and your blissful time in the shower. Just be prepared for the energy drain that follows. Wow! Sure surprised me. But so worth it. Between your clean hair and body and Netflix, your day is set. Relax and enjoy, my friend


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@cthipster, I'll have to try Sherlock. Thanks for the heads up. The day of my surgery (scheduled for 1pm) I needed something mindless and watched Zoolander.

@beachgal my shower took like two minutes - hair and kibbles & bits - and I was completely wiped out. I'm seriously just coming around now, two hours later.
 
@muckingabout, I KNOW! What a shock! I mean, I expected to be a little shakey but...

Enjoy the clean, crisp feeling and be kind to yourself today!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@muckingabout, you're nice and clean, and you've done your exercise for the day. Perfect! Enjoy a relaxing day downstairs with more tv viewing options.
 
This is an interesting thread. Beachgal you are 2 days ahead of me. I feel I may have the guts for a shower today but may revert to the sink hair wash and wet wipes yet again. We have no walk-in shower and the bathtub is a deep soaker style so one heck of a climb over the edge. I have a bath bench from my broken leg but can't figure out how to use it. With the leg, I kept it poked out into the bathroom with the rest of me behind the shower curtain but of course can't angle my hip like that. Both my leg & hip were fall accidents close together and when I was learning to crutch after breaking my knee I found myself sunnyside up in the front garden twice and the bathroom once so a little traumatized and nervous to say the least. I love the term "kibbles & bits" Muckingabout but that is the name our family has given nibble dinners of cheese & crackers, dips, etc, so puts my head in a weird place, lol! I have noticed several of you ladies commenting on how wonderful your husbands are in your recovery. My husband has hospital & illness phobia yet has been so wonderful in caring for me the last 4 1/2 months!! My youngest son (22 years) comes home periodically from his summer job residence and directly following my hip surgery we were travelling for our youngest daughter's wedding so I had all 5 kids pitching in here & there but the youngest son is over the top with helping! I had a commode at the rental house for the wedding so had a commode and he even discreetly would help me get on & off when I was too looped to know where I was headed. Family is the most wonderful thing ~ not sure we realize just how much they love us until they have to empty a commode full of wee!!
 
@Carriemay60, congrats on your daughter's wedding. I LOVE your profile pic. You look beautiful and happy. Great color dress!

Do you have a case worker or someone you can call who can give you advice on how to take a shower and/or use the shower bench, considering you have a deep soaker tub situation?

With THR #1, I used the shower bench the first time I showered to get into my normal height tub. The bench straddled the tub and the bathroom floor, and was high enough so that when I lifted one leg and then the other over the tub lip, I wouldn't break the 90 degree plane. Once I was in the shower, I stood up and then my husband removed the bench and closed the curtain. I was able to stand and wash myself, using the showers walls as supports. When I was done, my husband put the bench back in and then I came out that way. Hubby was there the whole time to provide any support I needed.
 
:bath:@chipster, thank you for your very flattering comments! I was 5 days post-op at the wedding and could not be happier that I made it! My bath bench sounds similar to yours. I used to stay seated on it for showering and used a cup to rinse where the showerhead didn't get well enough. We just got back to our own home at the end of the week so I will phone the OT with the city about showering on Monday if my new OS does not admit me to a residential rehab centre. I am torn between staying home and going to an inpatient for rehab. Sounds extreme I know but I seem to have some level of PTSD from the falls and am terrified of most anything (even seeing others in situations where they could potentially trip or be hurt ~ car rides are a white knuckle affair!) In addition, between the leg and now hip I am concerned about getting the best rehab I can get. I am really not ready to be a lazy lady of leisure! Off to try the bath bench or at least get a really good wash with hubby's help!
 
@Carriemay60, your fear doesn't seem extreme at all. It's good that you can acknowledge it, so that you can figure out a recovery strategy that is the least fear-inducing. Fear is never good for recovery.

I can't believe you got through a wedding five days post-op! I couldn't even make it 30 minutes through dinner at my kitchen table, before I would collapse into sleep.

Good luck with the shower, or barring that, maybe a sponge bath is in order? Hubby may be up for that! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom