THR JayP's hip replacement is done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @JayP - I like the sound of your PT! Slow and steady to ensure you don't aggravate your recovery- good for you. Sorry to read about your headaches, keeping hydrated is very important for head aches. I also find that a small amount of apple juice added to water assists in ensuring the fluid is absorbed by the cells quicker.

I thought you might like to get a snapshot of where you are in the medically acknowledged healing phases.

The following is a link to an article which provides the science regarding the healing process beneath and around the implant and the approximate timeframes for our bodies healing phases and processes.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

Nutrition plays a huge part in surgical recovery, in fact it is one of the 'forgotten topics' of recovery..

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutritional-snippets-did-you-know

Feel free to tag me if you have any questions regarding nutrition.

However, I would appreciate if you (or any other member) do not request advice regards supplements as I would be breaking the Common Law Act (under which I am governed) to prescribe outside of my practice, especially via the Internet.
 
Hi JayP! You had your surgery one day after mine- Congratulations on your walk to the sushi restaurant! i've haven't done that yet, but walking lots in our condo's interior hallways, doing the PT exercises, definitely feeling some stiffness but no pain. Like you, swelling at ankle. i get to wear compression socks for 4 weeks ! yay!
Biggest issue, really hard to sleep at night, but enjoying daytime naps.
Be well and happy recovery time
 
@JulieJF had my second PT home visit yesterday- went well. She stressed "as tolerated" and gave me standing exercises to phase in to replace my bed exercises. She suggested, if I go for a long walk, to reduce or skip the exercises.

Exercises are (as i can best describe them): Straight leg back
Front knee lift
Straight leg side
Foot back/knee bend
Supported squat
Up on toes
Simulated bicycling

Always minding my restrictions. Also got the ok to use the cane as long as I can maintain minimal limping.
 
Thanks @Poppet the headaches have seemed to go away. I have been drinking more but at first I ended up drinking more in the evening to try to avoid the morning headache-that just made me pee 2 or 3 times throughout the night. Know I am drinking more during the day. Also I'm now getting up on the first or second wakeup rather than trying to keep going back to sleep- even if it's early. That's what naps are for.

@Lore O glad you are doing well. Yeah, I'm pleasantly surprised at how little pain I'm experiencing. Swelling continues to improve but still there.
 
@JayP

Nicely done with PT! It's good to get a reminder - from your PT as well as from the moderators here - that the best exercise really is just walking and that a day with a longer walk is a day when you can ease back on other exercises.

I'm curious about what simulated bicycle riding is. Does your PT have you on a stationary bike at all?
 
@JulieJF no actual bike yet- once I start outpatient. The simulated bicycling is kind of neat- basically you raise one knee in front of you, then as you lower your foot you start to bring you leg back behind you a bit. You basically make a circular motion with your foot bringing the knee up front and arcing down and back. Hope that helps. She said the is a good movement to do a few times when I stand from sitting, just to get things moving.

She has me exercising only the operated leg this week. Next week I will add the other leg. I guess that will also help strengthening the operated leg for weight bearing.
 
@JayP how is your walking without a cane? Do you limp a little or do you walk normal? Are you still on meds? Hope all continues to go well!
 
@Gummy Bears- hope you're doing well.

Walking without a cane is tough. I do limp. It feels like I instinctively try to minimize the time I'm on my operated leg. Cane feels good but I still use the walker for distances just to keep my gait normal.

Pain meds are down. Pretty much 3mg dilaudid before bed and 1 or 2 1mg during the day. All those are just to keep ahead of any pain but I really haven't had much.
 
Sounds like you and I are about the same in the walked/limping department. I'm taking a low dose of pain med at bed and very little during the day, only if I need it. My biggest issue right now is falling asleep at night! I think if I could sleep on my side it would be so much easier to fall asleep! I can't wait until that day!!
Hope all continues to go well.
 
I've been sleeping "ok". I have to make sure I'm fairly tired before bed and I can't dose too long in the morning or I'm prone to a headache.
 
Getting out and about more now. Been out to several restaurants and the most noticeable "issue" for me is, minding my 90 degree restriction, not being able to lean over my plate as I usually do. I've taken to cutting several bits of food up and using a small plate to bring the food to me.

Everything is going well. Get my stitches out tomorrow. Will be the first time seeing the incision as the dressing has remained perfectly clean and dry.
 
@JayP

Sounds as though you're getting out and about quite a lot. Nice! I haven't yet attempted a restaurant, even though there are some good and favorite places only a block or two away from our apartment. I'm intimidated about the walk because it would be up hill all the way, and I'm still on crutches with toe-touch restrictions. I have the restrictions for six weeks, so I'll have to attempt it sometime. I just want to build up enough stamina so I don't get half way up this little hill and despair!

How is it to sit in a restaurant? I have a haircut appointment this week, and I'm wondering about how comfortable it will be to sit in the chair for over an hour.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

LTRH 2015 May 8
Hospital for Special Surgery
Dr. Thomas K. Sculco
 
Almost all of the restaurants I've been in haven't been overly comfortable- just tolerable. I bring a wedge cushion and prefer the high bar-type seats and tables.

For your haircut I would guess most seats are quite adjustable and should be fine.
 
Sounds good and same here! Been to lots of friends houses for BBQ's and restaurants plus am at our awesome neighborhood pool right now. I bring a cushy blanket to fold up and sit on plus my ice pack. It has worked well. I've had to go up and down a few hills. You just gotta be real careful.
@JayP why the 90 degree restriction? Bc of the 2 weeks or did you have posterior?
 
@Gummy Bears 90 degree restriction due to lateral approach and the leg shortening which the surgeon said would take a bit longer to tighten back up. I will likely have that one for 3 months
 
I see. I'm not even sure what lateral is to be honest. I have some restrictions on how I turn my leg for 6 weeks bc of a funny shaped socket.
 
Lateral is along the outside of the hip, so I guess sort of between anterior and posterior. The hip surgery I had over 20 years ago was lateral- the surgeon said he would try to use the same scars. I won't know until tomorrow. Regardless this will be the 4th incision on the right and is by far the smallest
 
No- first was an osteotomy (basically a repositioning of the femoral head involving cutting and fixing with a metal blade). 1 incision for that, another several months later, and another several years later to remove a bunch of loose bodies. That last one, about 26 years ago was anterior.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom