THR JayP's hip replacement is done

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Ganny Di that's an impressive distance. I'm fairly confident and prepared to take it slow and patiently.

Swelling around the incision is up quite a bit and a little more stiff this evening. Pain is not nearly as bad as swelling, which still isn't too bad.
 
Did you have home PT, and if yes, do you think that caused the swelling?
Things are going well here. I'm starting to get bored! Going to try and enjoy the time off with my husband and mom here!
 
@Gummy Bears- no home PT yet. My first session is tomorrow. Hoping it's just more walking combined with more sitting/less lying. My 2 days in hospital included 3 short walks. Otherwise I was lying in bed.

No boredom for me yet. I've saved lots of tv and video games. My girlfriend is off this week and because I'm doing well I'm encouraging her to do some stuff for herself
 
Had first home PT visit today. Went well-more of an intro meeting. She seems onboard with no pain and at my own pace so I don't expect to have worry about her pushing me too hard. I have 7 visits total. She will transition me to outpatient PT if that's what I want.

Swelling is noticeable down to the ankle. I know I have to lye down and raise my leg more frequently. Pain and walking still good. Did have a moderate headache this morning. I think it was weather related.
 
I found I had to change my position frequently to keep the swelling down -sit, lie, get up and walk a bit, REPEAT!
Ice too!
 
I think I need to change positions more often. The only time I really want to change positions is while trying to sleep.

Today was the second day in a row I had a headache hit early in the morning.
 
Headaches stink and definetly not want you want to deal with now! I feel like I'm on the verge of one but we had a drastic change in weather. Like summer yesterday and cool 60's today!

Has anyone tried to lie on their op side with a pillow between knees? I want to sleep in a position other than my back but can't image that's comfortable!
 
@Gummy Bears -I can sleep on my op side with a pillow but only for a while and only since I hit weeks 7 and 8.
@JayP - Are you drinking enough water? Too little can cause headaches. Hang in - it gets better every day.
 
@JayP
Sorry about the headaches! I started to feel one coming on yesterday. If your headaches are in the morning, are the definitely related to position? Morning headaches for me are almost always related to a lack of caffeine!

@GummyBears
The nurse who discharged me suggested using a sofa cushion between the knees if I wanted to sleep on my un-operated side. That seemed excessive. Before surgery, I would sleep with a pillow between my knees when I slept on my right side which decreased my pain upon waking. I can tell you that sleeping with a pillow between your knees is strangely comfortable!
 
@Gummy Bears I'm usually a side sleeper and have the ok to sleep on my non-op side with pillows between my legs. Aside from a nice change after a minute it gets uncomfortable. I think the heaviness of the op leg and inability to adjust it enough don't work out.

@Granny Di I could be water. I "think" I'm drinking enough. Could still be weather-related. Heavy rain yesterday and a drastic drop in temp today. Both headaches were mostly gone by lunch. I think Gummy Bears and I had the same weather change.

@JulieJF it could definitely be sleeping position too. Maybe I've had enough sleeping on my back. And yes sleeping with a cushion between the legs is comfy- I started doing it about a year ago.
 
Jay is your headache gone? Mine is mostly gone, what a drag it was!
I started sleeping with pillows between my legs about 7 years ago bc a message therapist told me its better for your joints. I can't sleep without them now!
 
Another morning, another headache but not as bad. Pretty much gone by 9.

Glad you are feeling a bit better Gummy Bears.
 
Yeah, for me headaches are bad. Sore hip/knee/back etc I can at least enjoy tv. Headache, I can't enjoy anything.
 
Day 10 (yesterday)
Went for my longest walk so far. Total of 700m. Walked round trip to a nearby restaurant for sushi. It was a bit tiring. Raised my leg and iced as soon as I got home. This morning the swelling in my foot was down nicely.

I'll be seeing in-home PT this week and feel very good about trying short stints with a cane.
 
Nicely done, @JayP!

And what a great dinner to celebrate your longest walk. :) I've been trying to concentrate on eating protein and vitamin C for healing, so sushi is high up on my list of dinners!

Good luck with PT this week. I'd like to hear how rehab PT goes. My in-home PT is actually going to discontinue our work together until after my toe-touch restrictions are lifted. The goal for PT for me is to minimize loss of strength. I'd love to know more about the goals that get set for you.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'll definitely update you after PT @JulieJF. From my initial meeting with her last week, the therapy seems compatible with the advice given here- she stressed no pain, spacing out walks and exercises, etc.
 
@JayP did you wear compression socks on your lunch outing? I really want to take mine off when I go out today but my surgeon instructed I wear them during the daytime till I see him at 2 weeks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom