Guest viewing is limited

THR JayP's hip replacement is done

Status
Not open for further replies.
My surgeon also recommends antibiotics for a year

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk
 
@Gummy Bears my OS's protocol is no dental procedures for 3 months following surgery and then antibiotics for each appointment after that. I don't know how long I'll need the antibiotics. On my list for the post-op visit.
 
Greetings! At my 4 week post op, the OS suggested i start massaging the scar using Vitamin E and he gave me an Rx for Amoxicillin- i am to take 4 each 500 MG prior to dental work for one year- not needed after the one year anniversary- was much relieved to hear that.
I would try to put off teeth cleaning for awhile if you can- i think this is alot of antibiotic to take all at once so soon.
 
Thanks everyone for the information! I'll call tomorrow and reschedule the cleaning, it sounds like 3 months should be good with antibiotics.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@JayP I'm so glad to hear to hear your recovery is going as well as can be expected. You are very close to my age and I'm having a lateral approach RTHR on Nov. 5th. What approach did you have and can you tell me more about the spinal anesthesia? That is what my surgeon uses as well and I'm glad because general anesthesia ALWAYS makes me sick as a dog!
 
@Baybee I had lateral approach.

Traditionally I always got sick from general anesthetic. Spinal was FANTASTIC. The initial freezing was less painful than dental freezing and I honestly felt nothing for the subsequent spinal- not even the pressure they said I would feel. Out about 10 seconds after they set me up with pillows on my side. Woke up completely pain-free and alert without drowsiness. Only downside was trouble urinating that required a in/out catheter. I was one of 5 that day with the same issue si the nurses suspected the anesthesiologist went a bit heavy on some of the meds.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk
 
Hi all~ I have used vitamin E on my anterior scar from my January surgery and on the bilateral scar from my May 4 revision surgery. I waited until it was closed and healed. I like how the oil helps me to massage the area to help keep scare tissue at a minimum. My OS said it was fine to use. I have made an appt with my dermatologist for end of July to see what she thinks!
My OS gave me 4 amoxicillin to take an hour before my dental cleaning. I will be at week 6 when I go next week. I got the impression it was every visit forever! But I might be unique because I had a bone infection which was the cause of my hip replacement.
Happy healing!
 
Thanks @JayP! Did u have the 90 degree restrictions with the lateral approach? I appreciate all of the info you are giving me. I'm still wavering on whether I should go through with this surgery now or wait a while since some days are better than others....

I hope your recovery continues to go well for you!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Baybee thanks. Yes I have the 90 degree restriction, no crossings legs, and no twisting of trunk/hips. At 5 weeks really not the bad. My 6 week follow up is the 16th- I know my restrictions may be longer than normal since the surgeon was able to shorten my leg (it had been longer), so I really have to let the soft tissue tighten and settle.

It can be a difficult decision. Since I'm still restricted I can't comment on issues like tying shoes and putting socks on (which were getting very difficult before surgery) but walking is much improved with no familiar pain- just some fatigue. In the weeks leading up to surgery I had some fairly good days but still fewer than the bad days.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk
 
In retrospect it's kind of funny how I was still fairly active right up until surgery with martial arts, yoga, and weights- all if which were being eroded by my hip. I was "ok" with that. It was pain sleeping, daily pain bending 20 degrees at my hip, breaking a sweat tying my shoes, and pain walking that drove my decision.

No regrets. With how things have been going I'm confident I'll be better off.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk
 
6-week follow-up today.

Things went well. Got the ok to drive and go back to work. I can loosen up my restrictions and start working on range of motion- particularly bringing my OP leg toward my chest. He said being younger, in relatively good shape, with tight hips to begin with I'm at at greater chance of having chronically tight hips than for dislocation.

Didn't really lift restrictions, just said to start treating it as a normal hip. I can work upper body weights and some light lower body- moreso to help range of motion.

Overall, went better than expected. I was expecting a full 3 months of strict full restrictions.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk
 
@Jay what exactly happened at the 6 week check up? Physical exam or X-ray? Did he look at the incision? Just curious! Thanks
 
@Gummy Bears- yes had Xrays (will post, just have to edit). His nurse and a resident did some measurements. My surgeon answered all my questions.

He didn't look at my incision- he saw it a few weeks ago. I did ask him if I can or should put anything on it. He said "no, you're young-it will heal fine". Good enough for me. I notice that he did use an older longer scar, so that's good.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk
 
@JayP sounds good. When did he say you have to go back to see him? My appt is next Wed bc he was out this past week.
 
Xray from my 6 week follow-up. That's the end of the drawstring on my shorts visible at the lower end of the cup.
[Bonesmart.org] JayP's hip replacement is done
 
Started back to work this week. Cleared for full-time but wanted to ease back in to regular life so I'm doing half-days for 3 weeks.

At work I have access to a nice gym. Had my first upper body workout in awhile, light leg presses (to help range of motion), and exercise bike. Felt good.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk
 
@JayP how are things going? I feel like things are pretty much back to normal on my end. Can you believe it's been 12 weeks?!!
 
@Gummy Bears
Things are going very well, thanks for asking. I assume you are doing well also.

Range of motion is coming along nicely with no pain - some occassional muscle aches, ususally from lots of walking/standing. I do sometimes forget about the implant. A few weeks ago I spassed out while sleeping (as I sometimes do...) and knocked over a glass of water. I sprung out of bed and got down on my hands and knees looking for the glass without thinking. No harm done.

If anything, my non-op side has been giving me trouble. I'm in no hurry to have it replaced but eventually it will likely be necessary. Both my hips had the same condition (Perthes) and OA in both but the right one was always worse. However, I think the labral tear in my left hip is giving lots of issues (mainly painful lock-ups). I had my right hip 'cleaned-up' when I was around 18, but apparently now at 44 the OA is too bad to warrant anything other than replacement or cortisone (which I'll probably pass on).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom