TKR Jane B.'s New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ice medicate elevate eat lather rinse and repeat. I hear you. I expect its no comfort that its about as tedious going on 4 weeks out...
 
Not so much, Jeano.

PT first thing this morning. She wishes I could be upright for longer. My knee is willing and able, but my hematocrit is not.

Check please!
 
I had two units of blood before I left the hospital. Bless you for healing a knee and rebuilding blood. I can only imagine how tired you are!
 
I was starting to wonder about my own red count yesterday but finally got a lot closer to full night's sleep last night and am feeling a bit more human this AM. I have found that I do better if I am up and doing in little chunks, helps me feel less like I'm icing my life away. Here's hoping your hematocrit and all improves.
 
Hi Jane B. I had low blood count, anemia, b12 and electrolytes my first surgery. I ended up taking a product called Mega Foods Blood Builder I purchased on amazon. It was an amazing product and really helped me! It is made from beet roots and a great all natural help.
 
@msmechanic58, I was told by the PT that my surgeon doesn't "do" transfusions. I wasn't asked. It's hard because I run out of gas, even though I could walk around more. I just get the message: Please return to the couch/bed, and fasten your seat belt.

@Jozilla, thanks for the Blood Builder info. I'll look at these. We have multivites with iron.

My surgeon said that I'll hate him for a month. I think he meant it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OK, today's big accomplishment, a walk out in the sunshine. (Now I can understand @jeano's trips to the penned geese.)

Husband accompanied me down the steps (4), out the gate, down the driveway, across our house, and half of the neighbor's. And back. This is an urban neighborhood, so the yards are small.

Hit the sofa and slept like a rock for over an hour.

Day 9.
 
If you're able to be bored that's a good sign. :wink:
 
We are having an overnight guest and are going to hang curtains in a fireplace alcove of this little 1928 "Grandma" apartment. Son is in guest room/office. Husband is going to Target to pick up a curtain rod and curtains, for the first time in his entire life. What could go wrong?

I keep thinking this: "Oh, why don't I just go with husband and pick up the curtains." Nope. Or: "Why don't I pick up other son who has to wait for a late bus?" Nope. Or: "Maybe they can wheel me around the grocery store, so I'm not stuck with "boy food"? Nope. Remember, Self, you get out of breath from taking a shower!

We FaceTimed the curtain shopping, and a guy next to my husband said, "I have to call my wife, too!"
 
I will loan you the Ice Sherpa for shopping, he is the bomb for getting good groceries. I would not trust him with curtains but he can select curtain rods pretty well.

Whatever you do, RESIST any impulse to go shopping in a wheelchair. Mr Jeano thought this would be a fine idea early in my first knee recovery. I wanted to wait in the car, he was gung ho to push me all around our immense Kroger in one of their wheelchairs with the big basket contraption that locks down over your lap. I could only extend my leg with what little muscle power I had at that stage, and then was risking getting the whole leg sheared off by seniors on go carts. So the leg was down and flexed, and I was in agony until I could get my hands on some lortab, and could barely walk or tolerate any PT the next day.
 
Curtains are up and are OK. A bit too white, but they'll do for now. Really it's just an illusion of privacy. Dachshunds can go right under, and will. I had to make the bed, quickly, because we got behind. Not really up to it, but what are you going to do?

Every day husband asks me what I want to eat and I tell him steak and vegetables. (low iron) "How about parsnips?" "No, we aren't talking The Museum of Weird Vegetables", how about some broccoli?" Finally I told him he can go to the prepared food section of Whole Foods and buy cooked beef and vegetables and just about anything else in the world.

He did. He was shocked.

And he made me custard. Just what I always wanted. Sigh. Now I'm worried he's doing too much.
 
He's loving it! And acquiring merit, atoning for any bad karma, and getting fitted for his martyr's crown. Enjoy it while you can.
 
Man, what a sweetie!!! I'm impressed with his caregiving!!! Now you'll have people wanting to rent him out.....
 
Note to self:

Do not have ten people for take out dinner one week after discharge from hospital. Especially with work-a-holic husband out for a social event.

Next time try to remember to invite all of your kids. (Forgot at least one, thank you narcotics)

Kids pitched in, ordered and picked up the food, and all kids showed up, eventually. I was miserable and had to take more narcotics.

House is a mess.

Oh, well.
 
I feel your pain. I had thanksgiving dinner at my house barely 2weeks after my first knee and a 90th birthday bash for my mother as soon as I was allowed weight bearing after I broke my ankle.... fortunately both gatherings ere small and both featured my favorite cousin, who is an excellent cook and tireless house cleaner. He made both celebrations relatively carefree for me.
 
LOL - I'm fairly sure that I'll be eating from the prepared foods section from WF for any meal I do not pre-prepare myself! Sounds like a great weekend though, I hope you managed to have fun along with the rest?
 
@TexasTee, I didn't have much fun. It was overwhelming stimulation after being quiet for a couple of weeks. I even forgot my exercises and felt bad about it. On the other hand, our 18 month old grandson had a lot of attention, and performed for us all. So, you are right, I did enjoy some of the time and laughed hard at his antics.

@Jamie, husband and I have been together 39 happy years, at least we make each other laugh each day. Right before my surgery, I said to him, "Hon, if anything happens to me today, I just want you to know..." We both started laughing. I couldn't even get to the punch line, which was something dumb.

@jeano, I still think we need a jeano clone.

Good news: My daughter in law, and my close friend, saw me walking around the living room and both exclaimed, "You aren't limping any more!"
 
Good news about the loss of a limp! That's one "friend" we're always happy to see take a hike -- literally!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom