TKR Jane B.'s New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't believe you were awake! I still can't watch the you tube video only a cartoon version. Sorry to hear about your roomie. I also had a private room but the 75 year old woman next to me thought she was in labor for two days. Moaned and screamed until they got her meds straightened out. No they would not let me close my door. I felt like I was misbehaving the whole time I was there!

Hope you get more rest today!

Xoxoxo
 
Mr Jeano was intermittently awake and aware for his hernia repair. He asked what color was the plastic mesh used and they showed it to him. Then they slugged him with more fentanyl.

I wanted to watch my first colonoscopy but they wouldn't let me. Working in health care hardens one's sensibilities somewhat, as evidenced by the loathsome topics nurses discuss on their lunch breaks...
 
@MotownGirl66, I watched the video, and it wasn't too bad. It was a tad blurry and he moves fast. I did feel AND SEE him hammering in one of the pieces. It wasn't too gross, seriously.

And I've had less pain than I imagined. Granted I've needed narcotics, but it's never gotten to screaming level. When I move the knee it will let me know. The nurse didn't wake me for pain meds last night and I went a few hours past the normal time to take them. Husband has always said keeping busy keeps you from thinking about the pain.

I've had a headache the whole time. Not sure why, if it's caffeine, spinal, drugs, being in bed, or what.

Help, help, help: Worst pain yet was 1. forgetting to keep my leg straight getting in the transport wheel chair. That hurt. 2. Then the volunteer raised the leg portion with my leg resting on it. 3. The chairs at home are lower than the hospital bed, just like everyone said.

Washed my hair and slept.
 
Hi @Jane B.

It's good to read that you are doing OK! Will you be going home soon?

Although I was a nurse, I don't want to be awake during my surgery - I'll take the general anaesthetic, thank you!
 
Oh wow!! you were awake for part of it? I made my anesthesiologist swear on a stack of bibles that he would keep me asleep through the whole thing. During my last colonoscopy I was awake and watching on the monitor but apparently they didn't realize. I couldn't speak or move and it was horrible! That's why I made him promise. I did watch a youtube of the procedure but that's different. It's someone else, not me, LOL!!!

Your roommate sounds like a real peach. I was so glad to have a private room. I asked not only for the door to be kept closed but I also asked them to knock before entering. I felt like it was my little home for a couple of days and I was paying for it. The least they could do was respect my privacy and allow me the dignity of telling them to come in when they did knock. My hospital for this surgery and the next one is a private, doctor owned orthopedic hospital. Everyone there (almost) was fantastic! I really hope I get a private room again in November for TKR #2 after reading your roomie story :)
 
Yes, I am of the knock before you enter variety myself. I never asked about the door---they left it open, I got out of bed and closed it. repeat after me. Finally I went home---too tired shutting the door!!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Jane B.'s New Knee

This is the frame hubby built to go under the recliner.
 
You were awake during surgery? :scare: Is that common?
No, it's definitely not the norm. Most people know nothing of the surgery. Just be sure to tell your doctors on surgery day that you want to be completely out and they will take care to see that you are. Please don't worry about it!!!
 
It sure sounds like you are doing very well and that is great news.

I envy you watching the surgery (a little) but since it's not always easy for me to tolerate lying flat on my back for long periods probably best to just knock me out again. Though I would really like to get a copy of my DVD if they film it. :)

You seem to have the right idea about getting out of the hospital as soon as the docs will agree.

Best wishes!
 
@Jane B. Part of me would want to watch the surgery but the other part says knock me out! Lol. Sorry about the drama with your roommate. Glad you are doing well :flwrysmile:
 
Yes I found this thread and can now watch her recovery.
 
@Minnie's knees, I loved the roommate! She gave us stories to use for a long time. All family and close friends have to say is "Cheese souffle" and they will instantly get it.

Watching the knee surgery was totally optional. The anesthesiologist could have kept me slightly sleepy or wide awake. I remember the surgeon telling an underling to close, and the stapler!

I had a visiting nurse and PT today. And guests. There are kids "assigned" to me today because my husband went out of town to work. I am remarkably frustrated to have to ask for help with the simplest things.

@msmechanic58, we have a firm sleep sofa in the living room. If we take the back pillows off, I'm wondering if a firm twin mattress we have will fit. That might give us some needed height. Or there are these, we found two of the four, we used for a desk.

https://www.amazon.com/Wood-Lifters-Mahogany-4-25-3-43/dp/B000L3OHRS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1410726637&sr=8-3&keywords=desk risers
 
Glad all is well @Jane B. I think you are off to a great start. I just woke up from my two hour nap. I am lucky as I could sleep for hours and have no problem sleeping thru the night. My pain is well controlled. It consists more of tightness of my hamstring and quad. I just am doing six gentle exercises at ten reps each and a five minute walk hourly. Hope your recovery continues so well!

The biggest part of my recovery right now is trying to get the swelling down. At least I can enjoy TV today with football, baseball and car racing! Good thing as my concentration efforts are still very bad and that is all I can handle!
 
@Jane B. the mattress sounds like a great idea. We have a camper with a low couch. I purchased a $40 full size foam mattress pad. I fold it in half and cover with a sheet. It makes a very comfortable sofa or bed!
 
@Jozilla, Sorry you have swelling. I must have it, but have been busy with other things, to notice. Mostly naps. The PT added to my four exercises, but she was very good. She made sense, was gentle, and had a good sense of humor.
 
Looking for the name of a top Knee Surgeon in Boston. My flexion does not "stick", 95 degrees at the onset of all PT Sessions. After one hour of numerous stretching exercises, and assisted bending, I get to only 104 degrees. I am frustrated and wondering if a MUA is a possibility this far out?
 
I was awake for a colonoscopy and angiogram and was able to watch. I usually have a difficult time with anesthesia. I also woke up once with a general when a had a bladder sling. That was before the knees and i found out i had sleep apnea Thankfully both times I had a spinal it worked flawlessly. The best part is not having any groggy feeling afterwards. Anyone pre tkr know the spinal is great and the surgery is over before you know it!
 
Looking for the name of a top Knee Surgeon in Boston. My flexion does not "stick", 95 degrees at the onset of all PT Sessions. After one hour of numerous stretching exercises, and assisted bending, I get to only 104 degrees. I am frustrated and wondering if a MUA is a possibility this far out?

My doctor is Dennis Burke, M.D. He's in his early sixties. The nurses said he is the best and that all the surgeons go to him. MassGeneral. I waited four months to see him for consult.
 
I think the lifters would work well if they don't slide. I had trouble getting up because the recliner (without the frame) slides on the floor.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom