TKR Jane B.'s New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I vaguely remember watching the monitor for my colonoscopy and finding my innards interesting :wink: but I remember nothing about the tkr.
 
@Jane B. Thank you so much! I discovered that therapy in the water was fun, and made me feel like I was in heaven, however lost 10 degrees of flexion in 20 days!
Difficult for PT to measure in the water, once I persuaded a therapist to measure me on land, I was very disappointed about going backwards. I am so appreciative of your helpful response. At 3 months my surgeon felt I was progressing and told me to come back in 9 months. I COULD FALL THROUGH THE CRACKS because of the length of time between check-ups. My advise is to always be vigilant and insist on what are dubbed "routine check ups".

Did he use a CONFORMIS custom knee/ did you consider one?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Reader44, I forgot to ask what kind of device he used in my knee. I certainly didn't care, he does this all day long. My reports will be available in a couple of days, and I'll find out then.

I slipped through some diagnostic cracks before I got to Burke. I gave it a lot of thought before the surgery. I don't exactly know who is the most to blame. It's spread over a bunch of people, including me.
 
My PT helpers are helping get me to full extension, and I don't think B.S. approves of the "sitting" on knee approach.

Such a flattering photo, but this is hardly a beauty contest.

Dachshunds are Fenway Frank, and Chili Dawg.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Jane B.'s New Knee
    photo 1 (60).JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 203
LOL - I certainly hope my English Mastiff does not follow your helpers approach! Glad you are doing so well.
 
My FPT (feline physical therapist) thought she was helping by perching on my air boot while my ankle was healing. For knees, she believes in setting a good example by napping next to me.
 
@TexasTee, I saw on another post you asked about your dogs during home visits. I'd put them in a bedroom out of the way. PT came here today, and my son's golden doodle, and one of the dachshunds decided to wrestle on the floor between us.

So, my first day on my own:

My husband helped me with the morning "jobs".

And then he left. He just left. The kids left, too. They left my knee here, didn't take THAT with them, oh no!

Somehow a full mug of coffee was left in the living room. Drove me out of my mind nuts. All day long that coffee stayed in the living room, with "the knee". I did manage to get the mug to the dining room table, and then realized dumping it all over the floor would make matters worse.

I ordered a bright orange tray for the walker.
 
Very funny!! Not the coffee and your knee but your describing it!
 
Hi @Jane B. ,
I can so relate to the coffee cup frustration! I had a walker with two trays after the THR and it was invaluable. I could pile it up with everything I needed and cart my own coffee ( and wine) . Made me feel much more independent, as did my 'grabber' ...so multipurpose opening drawers , picking up stuff, pulling up my pants !
My husband is very good but sometimes they JUST DONT SEE!! As my knee has collapsed three weeks out from my TKR I am very frustrated with my lack of mobility and the need to ask for things to be done! Grrrr! Somehow you sort of accept it all post op but I'm unlucky enough to have the three weeks before..barely able to hobble on crutches ...and sometimes not even that when the knee grabs and locks!
Can't wait to just get it all over and start the recovery! You are certainly a great role model . Good on you!
 
I live the tray idea for the walker. It seems like a simple idea that is very useful. I would prefer to get my own coffee etc. and that would make it much simpler. I would check amazon - they have everything! How was your night Jane B.?

Xoxoxo
 
OK, here is my Not Made for TV story, Day 6:

@Jozilla, I didn't want to say anything, because my nights have been just fine. Husband moved over to "my side" of the bed. Both the surgeon and the visiting people have said to take narcotics at bedtime, even if you don't take them during the day. I'm still taking half the dose, or one 5 mg of some kind of narcotic at bedtime, and one when I wake up around 4 a.m. I do not set an alarm. I don't ice at night. I ice all day, though.

The one thing that has me actually yelping in pain is swinging my leg from couch, over and onto the floor, and reverse. It doesn't happen every time, but when it does, it stops me cold. PT witnessed it yesterday. I use the other leg, or a crutch, for support. It hurts at the top of the tibia or bottom of the stitching. PT said sometimes they overdo the stitches at the bottom or the top. I bought risers, we'll see if that helps. She likes the way I'm moving, it's not that.

Something is going to hurt. I'm doing much better than I expected. In looking at the future of being a patient, no driving, etc. can get me down. There is no sense in dwelling on it and I try to enjoy the moment and take a nap.

Walking is fine. I just run out of gas. My hemoglobin/hematocrit is very low, one point above where they recommend a transfusion. My doc doesn't "do" transfusions. I'm weak. Husband made steak and greens. I'm taking a multi-vitamin with iron, more things to work against the gut? I know the drill, and will work towards getting labs back up.

I spend most of the day resting, elevating, and icing.

OK, coffee is made (by me), dogs are fed, and have been out. Now I have to go and get coffee, husband is still asleep. (He works in the evenings.) This worked:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Jane B.'s New Knee
    coffee cup.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 169
Which is exactly what I was going to suggest. I have two Innate 14ounce go cup/thermoses with completely leak proof push button drink thru stoppers. One is always full of ice water, the other is my everyday coffee cup. They will keep coffee hot for up to 12hours and iced beverages icy for even longer. Best of all, with the stoppers shut they can be safely carried in a pocket or stashed in a shopping bag with handles tied onto the front of a walker or around the push bars of a wheel chair.

Hauling ice with a walker never happened with any convenience. Drag the machine, push the walker, drag, push... probably good for the waistline. After I stopped using the walker I realized a rolling plant stand on our front porch would've made a good trolley for the polar care cube, oh well, maybe if I need a third knee done...
 
@Jane B. - I think my big concern about the dogs is my having the ability to be able to contain them in a hurry - if they come by appointment it should be no big deal or even if I get them to text me that they are on the way that way I can secure them and not end up flattened in the process. These are mostly pretty laid back but a door bell or knock turn them into very large boisterous beings!

I had my friend stay with me after her ankle replacement and they were very careful around her and it was great so I thought that I’d be golden but I have tried out the crutches I bought in an effort to get used to them and it was NOT the same thing. They nearly knocked me over! However, I think they know real need and just goofing.

I recall hardly being able to walk myself after my last round of synvisc shots (both knees were well over double in size!) but I was living alone and so tried to walk her around the block and it was ugly but managed it and she was a star, stayed completely by my side and was slow as I was which is very not typical. I will have a backup plan to board them if I have to but I hope I won’t need to.

@jeano – love the idea of using a rolling cart! I’m hoping I don’t need a walker but if I do, the tray or basket sound like a solid plan.
 
@TexasTee, I have crutches, but prefer the walker. I can bounce it around and scare the doodle away with it. He's a big galumph and doesn't know his own strength.
 
Me, I much prefer a walker to crutches. I think a walker requires less strength and coordination, and isn't nearly so prone to being interfered with by a dog or dogs. In fact, makes a handy fence between dogs and The Aching Knee. Much easier to tote things, although you can sling a tote around your neck or use a fanny pack. . They do LOOK more Decrepit Old Lady, but as a decrepit old lady I can live with that. A walker with wheels probably encourages correct heel-toe walking sooner. Debate rages. Crutches are difficult for a lot of us to use properly. So much so for me that I opted for a wheelchair when I broke my ankle. Talk about looking bad. No fun to sit on, either.
 
@Jane B. and @jeano - does it change anything when I mention my crutches are way cool? And they have a spring in the bottom making the heel/toe issue much easier...

I just haven't wrapped my brain around being less than one year wed and rolling around in a walker. Talk about hot wife! And yes I am that stupid. I schedule my appointment for my replacement officailly today and yet! I wore heels to work...pathetic little 1.5" wedge though it is and 4 hours in I get the gift of one of those white hot stabbing pains with each step.

:banghead:
 
One week post op.

Yesterday was blah, blah, black sheep. Just miserable all day. Ice, ice, and more ice.

Today was better. I realized I could do a little bit more. I only needed my husband's help getting into and out of the shower. I did the rest myself. I realize when I'm doing too much, and I stop midway through. That laundry will get done sometime.

But my glass half full moment was:

You've done it! One week!

Glass half empty:

I'm bored. Are we there yet?
 
@Jane B. Thought I would stop by and see how you are doing! You are only a week out, celebrate the small things. Yippie for only needing help in and out of the tub and for doing the rest yourself!
[Bonesmart.org] Jane B.'s New Knee
Each small thing is a step closer to recovering! Boredom is very hard for my hubby too. He hasn't been to work since right before his first TKR and isn't use to being home this long. It doesn't help that with the energy drain he really isn't up to doing a whole lot, but it does get a little better every day (except for a day now and again that is a backwards day). Hang in there brighter days are ahead.
 
Congrats on the first week in the bag!

I'm not looking forward to the pain but I think I dread the boredom the most. I can't manage to stay still for a day, nevermind a month or more!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom