Guest viewing is limited

TKR Jane B.'s New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jane B. This recovery has been a lot easier. Less swelling, less pain. Considerably more range of motion immediately from the get-go. I won't hardly have to do much physical therapy because the ROM is so good but will require strength training for my quads. Thank you for asking! How are you these days?
 
Mo, if we had four legs, we'd be amazing by knee three and four!

I'm about to lose my mind. I've had a list of major stressors and more and more gets piled up on top of them.

My daughter in law's mother is visiting and playing with our grandson on the interior carpeted stairway of our two family house. (The kids live upstairs) They were playing "Fire Truck". She fell down almost a full flight of stairs. She was in the ER for most of a day and they couldn't find anything. Finally they did an MRI and found a fracture at the top of the femur (I don't know exact details) and a fracture of her pelvis.

They operated yesterday and put pins in the hip, but not the pelvis. She'll be in a hospital for a few days and then a couple of weeks in rehab. They live in Virginia and this happened in Boston. What a mess.

The kids are going to Hawaii in a week on a long planned and expensive vacation. They are meeting our other son and friends and renting a house. They can't cancel.

I may need Valium.

I went to see about my new bad knee today (non replaced knee) and my primary care doc, and a nurse practitioner are having trouble ordering an MRI. I will probably have to go to an orthopod.
 
@Jane B. Man, that does sound like a lot on your plate. Will your daughter-in-law's mom be staying with you while her daughter is in Hawaii or will she travel home?

Why do you need an MRI re: your bad knee? I thought x-rays were the way to go for us.

I hope things turn around for you soon. Take it easy, if you can.
 
MO, for my other knee I was completely pain free until I tore the meniscus. Same thing with this one. Both were medial meniscus tears. Things went down hill from there. I had arthroscopic surgery on the right and I had complications. I was in considerable pain. I can walk OK on this torn up knee, but again, I have a lot of pain.

I don't know what my internist is going to recommend: arthroscopic surgery to give me a year or two before another knee replacement or just get on the appointment calendar for my replacement surgeon. I won't be able to have a big surgery until at least September, as my husband will have daily radiation this summer, for his prostate cancer.

The Other Grandmother is in rehab. Now they say she has to stay in at least 30 days after her surgery and she cannot weight bear all that time. I visit her, but I don't think I'll be taking care of her. She's family and I would if I could, but she has a husband and friends.

So my question is, how many people had meniscus surgery before their knee replacement? Did it help, even for the short term? Would you do it again, or go straight to a replacement?
 
So my question is, how many people had meniscus surgery before their knee replacement? Did it help, even for the short term? Would you do it again, or go straight to a replacement?
Let's ask @Josephine for her opinion.
 
I just got off the phone with my internist and he wants me to see both the guy who did the last meniscus surgery and the guy who did my replacement. Both are stars in their fields at MassGeneral in Boston.

He said the MRI showed a ton of arthritis and something about worn (or something) medial condyle. He said it was almost exactly like my last knee and I had horrible results from the arthroscopic surgery and excellent results from the replacement surgery. It wasn't easy, as all of us know, but it's doable.
 
I had meniscus surgery on both knees. The first in 2004 and the second in 2006 (I think -- check my signature). Since I just had the left knee replaced, that knee was technically good for 11 years after that surgery. Frankly, I'm not sure it really mattered, but they did clean up loose ends, which should have helped a little. I know none of my doctors ever thought a second arthroscopy would do any good.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
As you can see from my signature, I had an arthroscopic menisectomy on my left knee shortly after my right TKR and it did give me 5½ years before I finally needed the replacement done. But that's just me. It varies so much from person to person, it's not good to make comparisons.
He said the MRI showed a ton of arthritis and something about worn (or something) medial condyle. He said it was almost exactly like my last knee and I had horrible results from the arthroscopic surgery and excellent results from the replacement surgery.
One thing you do want to ensure is that your surgeon understands there is to be NO debridement in the knee (clearing up and tidying up visible damage) during the scope because that just does what the arthritis would do in your knee anyway. It's probably what happened in your first knee - Dr was too enthusiastic with his power tools and thought he was sanding a floor!

The phrase you are looking for I think is something like "defect in medial condyle" meaning you need a replacement. So no point in a scope. Just go for it.
 
Thanks, Josephine. I was afraid of this, and yet, realize it's the only way to go. The doctor who did the arthroscopy was so pleased at all the clean up he did. It did not go well!
 
I went to MassGeneral today.

I saw the first of my two orthopedist consults. He's almost 80 and had plenty of time. (He's considered one of the "fathers" of arthroscopic surgery) He spent a ton of time with me and we went over all of the X-rays and MRI's I've had in the past two years.

The last knee developed AVN (avascular necrosis) after his arthroscopic surgery for meniscus repair. This new knee has three problems: AVN, bone edema, and a torn meniscus. He put me in two large knee braces to try to give the bone a chance to heal. I have to wear them all the time except to sleep. This will not be fun in the summer, as the inner one is a solid polypropylene tight brace, and the other is a metal unloader brace.

It could be worse. He could have put me on crutches.

I see the doc who does the replacements in mid June. I made that appointment the second I hurt my knee. I knew.Surgeries are booking now for September and into October. I have to wait until my husband is finished, and somewhat recovered, from his radiation treatments this summer for prostate cancer. The timing works well based on the doctor's schedule. I've always felt the key to success in replacement surgery is a good surgeon, and I'm willing to wait.

The thought of another knee replacement surgery makes me sick to my stomach. We know that this is a big surgery, and the risks are significant. I had some issues with anesthesia last time. So the whole thing gives me a pause.

I am, however, glad that we have this option. If we didn't, a lot of us would be cripples for the rest of our lives.
 
So, Dr. Dennis Burke flew to Europe to pick up John Kerry.

We normal humans don't get that kind of service from Dr. Burke.

I love him anyway. Not that I'd recognize him in street clothes!

I see him for a consult on my other knee two weeks from today. I imagine it's going to be a zoo, because of cancelled clinic and surgeries.
 
Jane B. I'd be curious to know the names of the surgeons you would recommend. Can you PM me their names?
 
It's a year tomorrow that I had my right knee replaced. I can't thank everyone on Bone Smart enough. You all helped me realize what was normal and what was not. The timetable for healing was helpful. I am still sorry for those of us who had problems with their knees. My heart goes out to you.

I've said from the beginning that I'm a slow healer, and it's been true. However, I am happy with the results. I get little aches and pains, especially a stinging sensation, but I use and abuse my knee.

I had trouble gardening all last winter, but just put in a shade garden with three rhododendrons, hosta, and tons of other plants. I dragged mulch and manure bags. A little discomfort at night, but no biggie.

Yay!

I walk the dachshunds, and can do so for several blocks, but they don't need much. They have short legs. (I had a dog walker come mid-day until June because I couldn't manage our son's golden-doodle.

Before my knee replacement I had to plan shopping in a store. I would sit in the parking lot (wishing I had a handicapped sticker) and plan the shortest routes for things I needed.

Yesterday I went food shopping, and brought all the groceries up to our second floor apartment. (I had a guy come who can install a chair lift if we ever need it. Our 92 year old neighbor has them everywhere.) I admit to thinking about how much I'm buying and carrying up the stairs. I then went to a big box store and bought several bags of manure and grass seed. I went to Target and walked all over, returning something and buying staples for the house.

I thought about my knee. The cart I had with the manure would go crashing about and I find that heavy things are hard to manage with my knee, so stopping it required strength. But it was more just interesting than painful.

I walk without a limp and I'm so grateful. The most difficult thing for me was to recover my extension, and I worked hard to get it back. It was painful, but worth it.

The left knee: Ugh. Just like my right knee, I was fine one day and in agony the next.

I got worked up, saw three doctors. Two thought I had avascular necrosis again. That threw me for a loop. What the heck? When I finally saw Dr. Burke he did not think it was AVN. (That threw me for another loop!) He said I had lost all cartilage, the meniscus was a mess, but that I wasn't quite ready for a replacement. He wants me to put it off for as long as possible. He had me stop wearing the braces and gave me one shot of lidocaine and about a gallon of cortisone.

The pain in that knee was so intense it was like a loud noise. It took over my whole body. I was taking three 2.5 mg hydrocodone pills per day, just to function. (I cut 5 mg pills in half.) The night he gave me the injections was painful, but the next day everything was quiet. The pain that radiated from my knee to my hip was gone. I noticed what hurt in my right knee for the first time in months.

I then completely abused both knees. We moved to the second floor of our two family when the kids moved away for medical residency training. I had a tenant move in to the first floor. And we had an enormous job of preparing our Cape Cod house for weekly vacation rentals. We hadn't rented it in 25 years and our stuff was everywhere. My sister came to help, one of our sons helped with heavy lifting, and we worked like dogs. I then would drive down every Sunday and help with the turnover. My job was to change all the beds with clean linens I brought from home. I did fall from the bunk bed ladder, onto my new knee. Not much happened. But I now pull the mattress down to me and change it, I don't go up there.

I saw Dr. Burke for a six week check up. He was pleased at the range of motion my right knee had, and wants to see me every six months until we change out the left knee.

Our married kids have a wild two and a half year old boy (maybe like his father?) and are expecting another boy on Thanksgiving. I'll be going out to Ann Arbor, Michigan to help. By help, I mean chasing Mr. Two Year Old around.

We went to California for a vacation/visit with our old friends. I spoke of our friend who had been hit by a car decades ago and had tremendous leg issues. He had two knees replaced, within the past 18 months, with fantastic results. He and my husband would be fixing pool issues and my friend was kneeling on cement with two replaced knees! Ugh, I couldn't look.
 
Hi Jane,
That's a great update. It sounds like your new knee is serving you well.
I hope it's not too long until you have your other knee done.
I had my first TKR in Jan 2015 and am planning the second for Jan 2016.
I can't wait until they are both done and dusted!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom