Guest viewing is limited

TKR Jane B.'s New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @jeano - good to know. His literature says they use staples or stitches as is most appropriate, I'll just hope I'm appropriate for sewing. Actually - I should probably get staples...I might have removed my own stitches in the past when they were annoying and I wasn't very smart. I somehow don't see myself seeing a staple remover and getting the bright idea to DIY.
 
Oh Jane B. your post was so scary! My turn tomorrow only at the OS office. I thought I was the most chicken on Bonesmart as the staples really bother me!! I will take a Xanax as well as a pain pill!
 
You can come over and our medical student son can take the staples out, @TexasTee! It will be fine.

OK, let's look at the positive side of today:

The dogs jump on and off of my knee all the time. Doesn't really hurt, because I usually have a thick ice wrap on. Once in awhile they wake up the quad. We do have a galumphy golden doodle around during the day, our son's dog. He's big and sweet.

I chugged a Vanilla Ensure as soon as I got up this morning. It didn't taste good, but it kept me going enough to get my stuff done, and make a decent breakfast. And with that good breakfast, I had plenty of energy to manage going to the hospital. I hadn't been out much since I got out of the hospital on the 9/13 (ten days), and I enjoyed the outing. I managed getting in and out of the car well. It felt good and it was a beautiful sunshine filled ride along the Charles River.

I was stronger. Husband rode me up in a wheelchair, but it was gone when we came out. So I just used my cane and walked out of the hospital to parking. That's huge for me! After everything my knee went through today, exercises are on vaca for today. It's ice and elevation all the way. PT coming in the morning.

Got my narcotics refilled, just as I'm trying to cut back a bit. I'm not looking to be a saint, or to suffer, I just want a better appetite.

I also got on the scale and had not lost the extra five pounds I hoped I would. Dang.
 
@Jozilla, if you are going to the OS office, I wouldn't worry even a tiny bit. I'm serious. She must not have had a lot of experience. Anyone in your doc's office will have a ton of experience.

N of 1 (me) Pain Scale Staple Removal Chart:

Nurse: 8

Doctor: 0.25
 
Negotiate the no staple clause carefully, surgeons tend to get very set in their ways.
Yep---each one has their own protocol and what works for them. Mine used glue and steri-strips. Many OS's do what they do regardless of what you ask them too---they know what works for them.
 
@Jane B. So happy the staples are gone and it is behind you. I know my OS uses staples and will be looking forward to crossing the milestone of staple removal after my surgery. Wishing you a much better day tomorrow.
 
It is important to watch your staples. Normally they are removed between 10 and 14 days out. But some people (like me) heal quickly and they can get a bit imbedded. That hurts when removed. It's okay to speak up to your doctor and tell him this if you see it happening. But....remember that surgical staples are not like paper staples and you must have a special sterilized tool to remove them. It's not a DIY project!!! (unless you are our favorite Mother Hen nurse, of course...:heehee:)
 
@Jane B. I couldnt imagin hosting anything that would be the last thing on my mind.

My husband and I have been together for 37 years and it was about the same when i was being wheeled away I said to him before that was going to happen give me a kiss now as it gets difficault went I am going but he didnt and sure enough he leaned over gave me a quick kiss as I was about to be wheeled of and turned away a he was getting up set.

I think think is why he waits and doesnt do or say anything in case he looses it.

I am very lucky though he works abou 10 - 15 min walk from home so he does everything at home just not the ironing lol. I do feel really bad but I just dont have time unless I doo all on the weekend.

I was a stay at home mum until about 10 or so years ago so I was able o do it all then.

I travel to work get up at 5.30 get home at about the same time so I am so glad he has tea ready.

Julie
 
What a sweet husband, @jul! I love him already because he makes you tea every evening, but the kiss is just too sweet. I read your recovery thread and I don't know how you do it. Do you use a cane or crutches when you take transport to work? We just do what we have to do, right?

@Jamie, good info. I think I'll get the doc to take the stitches out if I ever, ever, ever have this done again. I did notice a foreign body reaction on Sunday night, the skin around the staples was red and puffy.

@referee54, I'm jealous.

Yesterday was a very tough day, it all started with tripping over the dog, but we are on to another day.
 
Hi @Jane B. Yes he is he even vacs every day mops cleans does the washing I don't no what i would do with out him.:shrug:.

Sometimes I do wonder myself as I do get a bit frustrated at work when Im just so tired and have no energy I wold love to just be able to lay down but I can't so I just battle on.:yawn:

I use crutches still when going to work as I don't feel fall strength yet to deal with the public and also I don't think i could stand as it can be around an hour to get to and from work sometimes and these people struggle to give a seat to a person even with crutches. :nah:

Yes we do do what we have to do only we no our limits and I am 8 weeks post op now and don't care what people think about me using them other wise i will drive myself crazy.

How about you what do you do.

Julie
 
I'm retired, @jul.

I've been with my husband for 39 years, and he still does the dishes, and a lot of the cooking. I "retired" from cooking after making three meals a day for 25 years of child rearing. I make sure there is good food in the house, but some assembly is required.
 
The Ice Sherpa cooks breakfast and bakes biscuits and scones from scratch. He actually brought me breakfast in bed every single day for the first 18 months or so of our marriage until I finally was ashamed of myself and suggested he stop. (This will give you an idea of how poorly developed my sense of shame is.)

He does dishes and laundry as well. He knows where the vacuum is kept but has never spontaneously broken out in a fit of actually using it. Aside from breakfast and some grilling, his cooking skills are limited to microwaving frozen mixed vegetables. This apparently what he lived on between marriages.
 
My husband makes a mean cuppa coffee! He managed to give himself food poisoning on several occasions (did I mention he was vegetarian?) before we married so I'm content to leave it at that. He's more than happy to do laundry and vacuum and pick up takeout at a moment’s notice so I think we'll do ok ;)
 
Forget a Jeano Clone, we need an Ice Sherpa Scone Making Clone!

After a couple of Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Days, I was determined to turn this baby around.

The dachshunds got baths this morning. Their night time kennel next to our bed smells like a barn. I walked out onto the back porch to shake out their bedding before putting it in the washer. What leg did I choose for stepping down? The "good" leg or the "bad" leg? Well, at least it will help my ROM. I'm usually coordinated, but I am also not usually on narcotics.

It was my surgical two week anniversary yesterday. My friend in Cali had his second knee replaced on Monday. He's the one, like @jeano, with the miracle recovery. Even with the best possible outcome, he was sick to his stomach all Sunday, in anticipation. This surgery isn't for wimps.
 
But it makes wimps out of ALL of us at some point, even She Who Should Be Cloned.

The Scone Sherpa has been a real slacker lately, not one in the freezer for my elevenses. I am going to get off the ice and go make cookies for my commencement ceremony tomorrow. A batch of flourless chocolate and a batch of oatmeal blueberry. Almonds in the chocolate ones and if anyone in PT says anything about calories they are going to get a lecture on anti-oxidants and superfoods. That'll learn 'em.
 
@Jane B. - Glad to see you are well on your way to recovery. The home health nurse removed my staples at day 10. I was relieved to have them gone. They only pinched just a tiny bit. The incision itches like a fiend, though! Indeed, this surgery is NOT for wimps and I have a newfound respect for those I meet who have undergone it. It's like we have our own club.
 
What a club, @MotownGirl66!

I do find that I have more movement in The Knee, or positions I am comfortable with.

I am concerned about riding in a car for five hours next weekend to attend my nephew's wedding. We'll drive out to NY State Friday night (with daughter in law and grandson, hopefully sleeping) attend the wedding and reception, and drive back Sunday. Medical student son can't come. Daughter going in another car. China son will be back in China.

OK, ice, ice, ice. Rent a wheel chair? Go to the church, sit in the back and put my whole leg up? Take frequent breaks during the reception? Find a hide away to retreat to? I find all that stimulation is tough while recovering.

Not going is not an option. This is my brother's son and I am very close to my brother. The one with the arthritic knees. Poor thing. I'm talking to him about doing a bilateral.
 
@Jane B. - Be sure to let us know how the car ride goes. Do you have a large enough vehicle that you can stretch out? Renting a wheelchair might not be a bad idea at all....especially if it has that leg lift thing where you can rest your leg straight out in front of you. Having it bent the whole time might defeat its usefulness because being bent is what causes us pain, or me at least. Are you staying with family or in a hotel?
I think you will probably scare your brother off if you tell him our stories. Lord knows I had no idea HOW painful this was going to be.
 
We have an older Toyota Highlander. It does have a third seat, but I thought it might make sense to rent a mini-van, especially with strollers and wheelchairs. We'll be staying at a hotel with time between the wedding and the reception on Saturday.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom