Guest viewing is limited

TKR Jane B.'s New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terri, that dog is so cute! I had three dogs with me on the sofa. Our son's dog usually spends the days with us when I'm in Boston.

I felt like I was sleeping in a kennel!
 
Jane @Jane b
Who wouldn't want to cuddle with Codydog ?
He look very comfortable, hope that he makes room for you.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Jane , how cool that you were able to travel (albeit with the challenges). You're a braver soul than I. I have to travel for business periodically, but my only expected trip is not until April, so I hope I will be a lot further along by then. How far out were you when you flew to Florida? BTW, my company's HQ are located in Waltham. I was there in early May and wished I could have stayed longer to sightsee, but wanted to be home for Mothers Day, so I returned sooner than I could have. I will be back again, I'm certain. Really lots to see!
 
Hey Lu, I was 6+ weeks when I flew, and had been given the green light by my OS, earlier in the week.

Waltham is one town away from us. We can do coffee!
 
I sent this to my friend in Cali who just had his two knees replaced, at different times, by Brad Penenberg in LA. The doc and staff are still amazed my friend did so well. He truly has had a super recovery.
This out of focus shot
[Bonesmart.org] Jane B.'s New Knee
is not my best work:
 
Nine weeks:

I'm sitting on the couch icing The Knee this morning. Yesterday I gardened hard clearing brush and small trees. Everything grows so fast in Florida and the gardens are overwhelmed. So I cut, clipped, dragged, yanked, and carried all manner of large vegetation yesterday.

I am sore. And I am happy. I know that I can do more hard core gardening in the future. I will have to get a little roll around thingy for weeding, because kneeling is just so not going to happen.

Before this I've tried to limit myself to small jobs around the house. I wasn't here much last year and my knee was a mess. So I'm pacing myself doing inside jobs, like cleaning out closets and organizing.

I find my mood is much improved by doing short errands. It makes all the difference in the world to just get out and do normal things. I'm still on the couch a lot of the day, reading, but I'm up more and more.

I wish I were completely off of narcotics, but still take a 5 mg dose most evenings. Whatever.

A lot of my discomfort is in the back of my calf and thigh muscles. I don't know why, it just is the way of This Knee recovery. I've also just started wearing a soft velcro wrap knee brace to bed at night to help settle things down. It does seem to help and gets rid of the pillow between the knees.

My knee still feels solid. I wish I didn't have the medial pain I had before surgery, but the twenty something PT said that should go away eventually. And as I said elsewhere, after a few minutes I can no longer stand still, I need to move.

I have to remind myself that I would not be back to work yet, and to slow down!
 
Have you been stretching those muscles I did and improvement was v quick,( googles brain stretching for himself)

Legin THR Sep 14
 
No, I probably haven't stretched enough, Legin. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll work on it.
 
I still reg do stretching when I did my achilies it was stretching exercises for months. Used to do them when doing assembly at work.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I'm sort of a natural "slug," so lying around is just fine for me. :sleep:But hearing about your gardening work makes me think that maybe I could do some real gardening again! I have missed being able to kneel, and it sounds as if that won't really be possible even after both surgeries, but sitting on one of those little carts might make it possible to do some "dirt work." They are generally so low that I couldn't get up off of one before, but now I have hope that my knees will be able to handle that in time.

I can't imagine gardening in Florida! It seems like it would be "four steps forward, three steps backward" when the vegetation roared back. (Sort of like healing from a TKR. :heehee:)
 
☺️ I did all my gardening before surgery sitting on the ground and reaching. Sort of combines gardening and yoga. The biggest problem is getting off the ground without going on my knees. I've tried doing some of my exercises on the floor since surgery and can't recommend it.



TerriM 10/28/13( RTKR)
10/14/14 (LTKR)
 
Jane @Jane B.

You seem to be using your knee to maximum potential at 9 weeks with your garden work, great to hear :yay:
It's a balance between activity and rest and to find the balance that works best for each of us.

The linger pain cause be discouraging, but it's still early days.and as @Legin suggests stretches may help.

At 15 weeks, still have pain at back of knee and sometimes medial pain, doesn't ease out with activity, I almost forget it at times.

Take care and enjoy the Florida weather while you can,

Cathie
 
Jane @Jane B.

Interesting article, like many of us the TKR was a choice over pain & limited mobility.
At times, I wonder when I'll be truly thankful that I had it done. Still not at that stage.

Cathie
 
I agree with you Cathie, about when we'll feel truly thankful this surgery was done. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but not in the middle of the night when I am wide awake and in pain.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom