Guest viewing is limited

TKR Jane B.'s New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
You didn't do anything 'wrong' and the 'setback' is just the first of several, not unlike my reversion to opiate pain relief during my weekend getaway. You'd think with all the wine I was drinking the knees would've been anesthetized.. Your knee will be able to predict direct hits from nor'easter for maybe forever. This current double whammy here in GA involving low pressure, warm up, rain, then cold and high pressure--let me tell you, The Knee was tight and unhappy, that being the new knee. The old new knee pretty much rolled with it, so that might be a good portent.

I took the polar care cube on my trip and used it twice and I am seemingly done with it. I thought about getting my little gel wrap out of the freezer but haven't bothered. Even with the double whammy all I did was throw Tylenol and one aleve at it.

Speaking of shoes, which if we weren't surely we as girlfriends should have been, my favorite crocs mess with the knees, also the old orthotics in the newish sneakers. But cheapo insoles that I haven't used much do pretty well in the new sneakers, so time to get new orthotics (we have met the deductible, God knows). New crocs should be arriving soon. Camo with hunter orange soles.
 
Hi Jane @Jane B.

The more I read about others' TKRs the more it becomes apparent that they are no text book cases.
Our knees have their own agenda and act in strange and mysterious ways at times.

A simple flight causing a three day set back and for someone else no problems.
Our recoveries are so individual and we each have to take it as it comes.

Take care and enjoy the Florida sunshine & weather for another few days.

Take care,
Cathie
 
Hi @Jane B. Enjoy a few more days in Florida. Make sure you have been well rested and then fly home. This truly shows us that the new knees are our bosses. Ugh...


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
[Bonesmart.org] Jane B.'s New Knee
FaceTime is pretty cool...
 
@Jane B @marmora - Jane I feel your pain! Since we drove to MI, we have been non-stop busy looking @ homes, visiting friends and family, etc...and I am definitely paying the price. I, too, expect to be doing better - after all, we are coming up on 8 weeks tomorrow, right? WRONG! This sucks. We both are doing too much. We drove 5 hours yesterday to the house we are staying in for the next 4 week and the drive across Michigan just about killed me.
I HOPE to use today & this upcoming week to REST, REST, REST. But, I allow m myself a pity party once in a while and whine, but I don't want to rest...I want to explore, shop, etc....And my body laughs and says back, "Silly girl! Go ahead. I double dare you!"
I am finding that these places I go into, such as restaurants, friend's homes, stores, etc....ALL have chairs that are too low for me to sit comfortably in, the toilets are so tiny and low to the floor, way too many stairs, etc....Last night, after the 5 hour car drive, I laid down on the really low-to-the-ground king-sized master bed and moaned until the painkiller kicked it.
Here's what I think we need to do: gauge our day by events/outings - i.e., how many do we think we can do versus how many we really should be doing. I think I may be up for a trip to Wal-Mart tomorrow but definitely nothing for me today except icing, elevating, some walking outside and that is about it. Unfortunately, the closest Wal-Mart and decent grocery store is a 35 minute car ride away. :(
Because this recovery is such a long process, my other knee is in much worse condition than it was before this operation. It needs to be done, but this surgery has accelerated it. My husband compared the swelling last night of my non-surgical knee to my surgical knee and he said they were the same. LUCKY ME! :(
I am not happy because I just retired and I want to be well and be able to do stuff.

Best regards,
Robyn
 
I babysat for our grandson for his first year and we didn't get to the Florida house as much. The house suffered. I arrived wanting to dig in and get everything in shape. No. No. No. KNEE said, "Go lie down, elevate, and ice!" I was enormously frustrated.

I garden as aerobic exercise. I need a machete to attack this place. All I did, all week long, was sit in a chair and weed for the amazing total of an hour! Do you think we'll be able to dig with a shovel when we are fully recovered? I'm a right TKR, too.

I know I'm spoiled, but I hadn't been in a supermarket until yesterday. My husband shopped initially and then I did online shopping and delivery. He is flying back today and he wanted us to stock up. We went early enough that it wasn't crowded, and I drove around in a cart. Sort of like bumper cars, but not on purpose.

I enjoy walking the dogs and as it's pretty easy with dachshunds. This is my main goal for recovery: walking and maybe modest hiking. It's nice because it's flat and sunny here.

It was a bad week for me, but despite that I reduced narcotics. I don't get it?

Wait, I do: THE KNEE is the boss.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Jane,
Looking at the photo of your little "ziskeit " makes me smile and feel warm inside! Can you Skype with him? You did the right thing taking care of your knee-- the last thing you need (aka kneed) is to miss the Holidays. Reading Rainbow has been born again, perhaps you could look over their lists of book for little ones and order some for your littlest angel.
 
@Jane B. - Hi there. Its been a long time dream for me and my husband to get a place in Florida. We so nearly bought in Vero Beach a couple of years ago. We didn't because of the ever increasing price of flights from UK. That plus the flight time would make it difficult to visit as much as we would like. I can imagine what a great place it is to recover from TKR.
I hope you can resist tackling or 'attacking' the garden, especially as you will be on your own. Having read through your recovery thread it is very encouraging - my surgery is scheduled for 25th Nov.
It's amazing that we can Skype and FaceTime now. It certainly helps when you are missing family and friends.
Hope your knee settles back into recovery mode quickly!
 
@Jane B.
Looking at the photo of your little "ziskeit " makes me smile and feel warm inside! Can you Skype with him? You did the right thing taking care of your knee-- the last thing you need (aka kneed) is to miss the Holidays. Reading Rainbow has been born again, perhaps you could look over their lists of book for little ones and order some for your littlest angel.[/QUOTE]
 
@Jane B I know exactly what you mean about feeling like a spectator in life. I look around & notice things that need to be done but I know I cannot do it. I am hesitant to ask my husband because he is already doing everything for us now. I guess I will just have to turn a blind eye.
Yes, Florida is very flat, but I am enjoying being up here in Michigan where they are small hills and uneven ground. I feel as if I am exposing my knee to new forms of exercise - walking up and down hills and what-not.
Enjoy your time in FL...I find the humidity to be oppressing. Even my dogs are perkier up here in Michigan.
 
Eight weeks:

This has been a good week. Last week was the worst.

I've finally returned to baseline after traveling to Florida. Recovering here, instead of the cold, is not too shabby. I'm alone for a couple of weeks, but have a network of friends here who are more than willing to help.

I've further reduced narcotics to one pill in the evening when the aches become uncomfortable, or one day, none at all. Yay! I have become one with Advil and Tylenol. I ice less frequently, but it is helpful when I have pain and/or swelling.

Sleep is hit or miss. As I said, I slept well the first month, which I attribute to narcotics. When I reduced them at night, I was reading on my computer between 3-4 a.m. I've had a couple of good nights this week, and it's been a pleasure.

I am trying really hard to balance being upright, and doing things, and not participating in the ODIC. It's a difficult balancing act. I'd love to garden, and did a tiny bit. I also need to tidy and rearrange this house. Again, I can do a little at a time, even if I don't like doing it! I do short shopping trips out, but I'm dreading going to the post office today, and waiting in line. I'll bring the cane.

I'm not doing PT while in Florida. I'd have to self pay. I'm also not doing a ton of exercises, and I'm feeling a little guilty about that. I do, however, ALWAYS do my extension exercises. I couldn't do any exercises last week, I was too swollen.

Our house came with a pool and a spa. I'm disappointed that the pool is too cold right now. I had hoped to do pool exercises, which I love. But I do stretching exercises in the hot tub. I'd go to bed miserable last week, and my husband encouraged me to get in the hot tub. It does settle everything down.

I walk with the dachshunds twice a day, and I feel fine doing so. I focus on walking correctly, and will increase slowly. I'm not an athlete, I had to give up running at 35. My goal is to walk and do light hiking. I'd like to travel and that involves a lot of walking. I feel that is a goal I can reach, with the Knew Knee, exercising or not.

Later, BoneSmarties
 
@Jane B.
I don't think you need to worry about not doing any formal PT while you are in Florida - just doing those stretching exercises and walking with your dogs is really all you need now.
 
Jane @Jane B.

Glad that you will be able to enjoy a bit more sunshine and warm weather.

At the moment it's a battle as to who is the boss - you or "The Knee".
But, don't worry someday you'll be the boss again and that knee better watch out.

Take care,
Cathie
 
@Jane B. Sorry your knee changed your plans. I'm sure that is frustrating at this point in time. Glad you are enjoying a couple of weeks in Florida. Thank goodness for face time. Your grandson is such a cutie.
 
I'm glad you can enjoy Florida right now. I just finished reading your recovery thread; i'm impressed with how well overall you've been able to follow the BoneSmart approach to recovery. I hope to follow your example, and keep my own recovery as uneventful as possible. I love your sense of humor!

One thing I would like to understand: what does ODIC stand for?! I'm guessing "overdoing" is part of it, and maybe the C stands for "committee"? This is the kind of thing I obsess about while lying awake between naps.
 
Thanks, PrincessTia.

It's the Over Do It Club, you got it. It's super easy to become a member.

I laughed when you described yourself as not "active". I feel like I have been lounging around eating bon bons during this recovery. Only now is it not as boring, because I can break up the rest periods with going on a short errand. A trip to the post office was never this thrilling.

I hope you are feeling a little better, and I was pleased to read about your walks to the kitchen. I don't think you and I are going to be training for a triathlon together! But we could go for a stroll, and it would be lovely.
 
@Jane B,
I've changed my avatar, or at least I'm trying to. My snuggly Codydog who's been velcro-ed to me since my surgery.
[Bonesmart.org] Jane B.'s New Knee



TerriM 10/28/13( RTKR)
10/14/14 (LTKR)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom