TKR Jane B.'s New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Jane @Jane B.

Sounds like you "are" making progress, driving for take-out and to your PT and running around after your grandson.

You're right glaciers do move slow, but when you stand back to look at the majestic beauty of nature you do realise that they move without thought or care on their journey.

Take care,
Cathie
 
What do we do with The Knee Stuff? I'm not sure I'll have the other knee done. Husband hates clutter. (He picked the wrong wife, but I try.) I used the crutches twice, and I know there are medical-legal issues with used crutches. The walker was used for a couple of weeks. So shower chair and walker are going to Goodwill and toilet riser is going to a landfill. I don't feel right about donating a toilet part to Goodwill, even if it was cleaned with Clorox wipes.
Any ideas?
 
Assuming toilet riser came in a box, me, I'd box it back up (Mr jeano is a far worse clutterer than I have ever been and has never thrown a box away in his life) and find a bed to stash it under or an attic to put it in, because you won't get younger and either one or both of you could need it in future for a knee or a hip or just advancing decrepitude.

Or you could plant pansies in it.

I borrowed walkers for both knees, as I don't believe in crutches.
 
Yeah, I think I'll save a bin of recovery aids for possible later use. I looked at the toilet riser and you can't recycle it. Even though it was less than $20, I hate to toss it.

I saw the new PT. It was a challenging drive, the area is a huge construction site. The rehab place is in the New Balance building and they are building all around.

OK, drum roll please: My numbers, at five weeks, are flexion: 113 and extension (difficult for me): 6

She thought I was walking well, that I kept my operated foot on the ground a little less than my left, but said I'd have no difficulty getting to "normal". And to ditch the cane, since I don't even use it for walks.
 
Is there maybe a church run retirement community? I bet they would be happy to have all but the toilet riser...and who knows, they might want that but I'd probably not offer it, either.
 
I found these printer copies of my XRAYs when I was cleaning out my living room nest this past weekend.
They aren't great, but I thought it was easy enough to see the difference a year made. It doesn't even look that bad, but it hurt like heck, and I couldn't do much except hit the couch. I have "severe" arthritis in a couple of other joints.
[Bonesmart.org] Jane B.'s New Knee
[Bonesmart.org] Jane B.'s New Knee


Injury to knee, March 2013.
First XRAY done, April 2013
Arthroscopic surgery, meniscectomy, June 2013
second XRAY, August 2014
Knee replacement, Sept 2014
Playing soccer with 19 month old grandson, Oct 2014
 
Jane @Jane B.

Brought a lilt to my heart to see, "Playing soccer with 19 month old grandson , October 2014"

That tells me your recovery priorities.

Take care and your X-ray 2013 to 2014 what a remarkable deterioration in a short time.

Cathie
 
I went to my six week check up. He wasn't worried about my extension, said the rest would come. Flexion is almost normal. I have a Zimmer something or other. He didn't indicate what model it is, and I don't really care. I defer to him.

Got my last script for narcotics and a bit of a lecture. I just want enough for the inevitable bad days for the next year.

I'm cleared for all normal activities, including crossing my legs!

Yay!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Jane B.'s New Knee
    photo 1 (63).JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 101
Last edited by a moderator:
And I had to give that gold star to my husband for setting up the ice machine that I wore all night long. Walked around a large hospital, doing normal doctor's visits and labs, after PT.

Came home and to an ODIC meeting. I was the chair.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Madame has the gavel and meeting has been called to order. We all pledge to refrain from joining any club that would have us as members.
 
This morning our long haired sandal eating dachshund, Chili, and I have taken a cab to the Boston airport on the way to Florida for a week. Our Grandson cried watching me leave from the upstairs window. I was supposed to stay for a month, but couldn't stand to be away from my little man all that long. Take your joy when you can.

I went via wheelchair all through the airport. I knew I could walk, but would have had to drag a dog and carry a large bag with my laptop, and it would have been too much. My husband flew yesterday due to work related stuff.

I did not set off an alarm. TSA dude said "knew knee" could be titanium???

I am saving a pain pill for the 3.5 hour flight. I assume it will be uncomfortable after awhile.

We bought a modest place in wonderful Sarasota after I retired. I do love it there, especially in January and February. I can garden in horticultural zone 9. And push the envelope with quilts to cover tropicals. And walk the dogs in good weather. Such fun.

And husband revved up the hot tub. I'll try it out. Later, Knew Knee Peeps.
 
Bon Voyage Jane @Jane B.

Enjoy Florida ! :swim:
I'm sitting here looking at brochures for Iceland :ice:

Cathie
 
I'm a bit confused, and need a little help. At six weeks, I get that I'm not fully recovered, but...

I flew yesterday from Boston to Florida, as I wrote. I rode wheelchairs in the airports. I purchased an extra room JetBlue seat, and was able to get very comfortable. I brought a zip lock bag and got ice from the flight attendant. I walked up and down the plane.

So why did I end up with a swollen painful mess of a knee and was awake most of the night?

It didn't feel like I over did it. In fact, I was sick of sitting and only reluctantly rode the wheelchair on arrival.

I guess just sitting for that length of time would do it? How do you know you are overdoing it when you are comfortable? It's a conundrum.

I'm supposed to fly back north in a week, and I'm wondering if that is wise. My husband will be with me then, however.

Today is reserved for staying on the couch elevating and icing. Same old, same old, same old.
 
You got your surgery 2 weeks before I did, and I find myself flattened after being out & about for an hour or two. Even though you were treated like gold dust (and rightly so!) it's a lot of activity to pile on a healing body. I know what you're saying about not feeling like you've overdone it and have your body react. Sucks.

I occasionally wonder if the lower air pressure of the plane ride in the passenger area (the equivalent of 10,000 ft altitude) might be responsible for extra pain and edema. I have had this happen a couple times pre-surgery, like a really bad storm is coming. We'll see what happens when I go up to my sister's place for Thanksgiving.

Be gentle! :friends: Remember you are still healing!
 
Hi Jane @Jane B.

We like to travel short hops from Dublin of less than 3hours to European cities and to visit our son in Norway.

At my 6 week check-up, I asked my OS about travel and he said that it would be uncomfortable before 10 weeks post-op and better to wait until after 12 weeks post-op before any short flights.

Due to the air pressure when flying and the prolonged sitting.

Until then it's just watching The Travel Channel for me.

Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
That's helpful to hear, Cathie. HobbitCatMom, you said the same thing! Who would have ever thought of cabin air pressure? I'm supposed to go back in a week. We were talking about whether I should stay or go back? My husband is concerned that I shouldn't be alone for two weeks. And I agree that's a long time, but the response to the flight was so extreme.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Seven Weeks: Are we there yet?

I had been doing really, really well. Not pain free, by any means, but discharged at six weeks and the doctor was pleased.

After flying from Boston to Florida, I suffered a three+ day setback. I had pain, swelling, no ROM, and I dragged that log leg around. It was dramatic enough that my husband doesn't want me to fly back on Sunday.

Stay in Florida and enjoy 80 degree sunshine in November? Hmmm... Sounds like a no brainer, but I wanted to be with the family right now. January, Feb, March in New England? What family?

I've thought long and hard about what caused the setback, because it was an easy, perfect trip. It could be cabin pressure as stated in the above posts or simply sitting for so long. I was comfortable, but it was most of a day.

My husband now quotes @MotownGirl66 after I read aloud her comments about her extended road trip. We had our replacements around the same time.

It was enormously frustrating to have felt good and then be back on the couch icing and elevating. I wanted to go and do things.

But you guys get this.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom