TKR Jancat's story

Status
Not open for further replies.
PICC line has been removed!!!!
Now starting oral Minocycline. Has anyone been on this and care to share their experience?
Can't wait to shower normally and sleep on my stomach again!
Yes, took Minocycline, but it wouldn't stay down. They switched me to Doxycycline and I have been on that for a long time except for when I had IV antibotics.
 
PICC line out, YAY! So happy for you. One big step back to the "normal" world. Gives me hope to see you recovering so well. Hope you sleep well, my friend!
 
Yay--moving forward, Jan!
 
Thanks for all the good thoughts!
Vic, you asked about my meds onNancy2's thread but I thought I would answere here.
I feel better about the minocycline now. Just have a bit of a sensitive stomach with it, so I have bread or crackers before and after. It has changed my sense of taste somewhat- dulled it a little : ( But I feel great and the knee feels great, so great that when the other knee is cranky I actually entertain the thought of TKA for that knee!!!! But I will wait and see.
I worked my butt off today- the weather was gorgeous so I did a bunch of outdoor and indoor cleaning up! Now the knee is a little achy so am going to sit and rest it now.
I actually forget to worry about it sometimes now!
I hope you keep moving forward, too.
 
Wow, Jan, so glad you're doing well. You can always toss in some probiotics for the gut. I get the live stuff they keep refrigerated in the pharmacy.

Your report reminded of this time I hired a pricey caterer to do my birthday dinner. As dinner approached, everyone comments on the lovely aromas of the preparations, and raved about the food. But because I had been on antibiotics, I could barely taste it.

Anyhow, either you're a great patient or you had a great surgeon or both, plus luck doesn't hurt.
 
Thanks for all the good thoughts!
Vic, you asked about my meds onNancy2's thread but I thought I would answere here.
I feel better about the minocycline now. Just have a bit of a sensitive stomach with it, so I have bread or crackers before and after. It has changed my sense of taste somewhat- dulled it a little : ( But I feel great and the knee feels great, so great that when the other knee is cranky I actually entertain the thought of TKA for that knee!!!! But I will wait and see.
I worked my butt off today- the weather was gorgeous so I did a bunch of outdoor and indoor cleaning up! Now the knee is a little achy so am going to sit and rest it now.
I actually forget to worry about it sometimes now!
I hope you keep moving forward, too.
I just love happy endings! Sounds like you are well on your way. My hope is to mirror your progress. Hope things only continue to improve for you! Keep us updated ;-)
 
Just dropping by with happy thoughts for you and wishes for continued improvement.
[Bonesmart.org] Jancat's story
 
Jan, so glad to hear that you are beginning to move on from your summer setback! My best wishes for your continued healthy recovery!
 
Update:
Saw ID doc yesterday. Decreased Minocycline dose from 200mg to 100mg per day. Have to stay on it another month. Go back in 2 months; not sure when I will be off of it totally.
Still feel terrific and working full time. Knee looks and feels great. My NON-TKA knee has been dutifully reminding me of the reason for my TKA in the first place. That 'special' pain has begun in my other knee and actually has me considering doing a TKA on that knee too!
 
SO excited today! Went to a friend's wedding and wore 3 inch heels WITHOUT ANY PAIN! I felt terrific! I was so surprised because the last time I wore these shoes was in June 2011 and I was in excruciating pain and could hardly walk. Did hardly any sitting today!
It was great to just trot around and dance in no pain at all (even before the champagne ; )
 
Oh WOW, Jan, that is awsome. Three inch heels! I thought the days of wearing heels was over, so you are saying that is not necessarily so?! Hmmm... So happy to hear that you had a good time and danced painfree. YAY!!!
 
Tx, BJ. I never wear heels, but am only 5'2" so they are useful for dressy occasions, and the last time I needed to wear them was in June 2011. So we were walking around the grounds before the wedding and I felt 'funny'. Then I realized what it was: that I was wearing high heels without limping or pain, just zipping around. Believe me, I have not done that in years!
I really am so grateful to have this knee and be pain free. (Except when the other knee acts up!)
 
Nice! I am only 5'3 1/2" but I haven't worn heels in ages and am contemplating getting rid of them all, but maybe I will actually wear them again... You have me wondering. It is just so exciting to hear that you are doing soooo well and pain free. You are an encouragement to me. I like to read things like this and get that hope rising up in me again. :happydance:
 
Update: Saw ID doc yesterday and do not need to take oral abx any longer! WOO HOO- I feel like I dodged a rocket!
Knee feels terrific, had 2 recent weddings- wore 2.5 inch heels and danced without pain- such fun!
Despite my setback, I still love my knee.
Going to dentist next week for the first time since before the TKA and am a little nervous about the teeth/bacteria issue. I have my pre-dental abx all ready to go!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom