THR jackie222 RTHR - recovery

I’m a hiker and I hear what you’re saying about missing those 12 mike walks. Prior to LTHR I did some hikes that were 15 miles. It took about 1.5 years post-op until I hit the trails again. But at 6 months post-op my walks got longer and continued that way. Then last year, although not in pain yet, I started experiencing what I call dead leg on the right side. Started losing strength and I knew what was coming.

Anyway, you will get back to what you love to do. Just takes time.
 
Thank you @hikejunkie. I guess I’ll have to learn to be patient, not something that comes easily! The furthest I’ve walked so far is 1.2 miles. All joints letting me know that’s far enough. Would like to be able to do a 2 mile walk on Christmas Day. But we’ll see how everything is feeling
 
Patience. Ugly word, that. :heehee:

Slow and steady wins the race as they say. Very true with THR. I wound up my game every week but very slow increments, like 5-10 minutes and if I felt stiff, I’d back off a bit. The effort put in to be sensible vs. impatient was tough though. Focus on the end result. I’ll need to remind myself of this post-op when spring comes and I’m only 4 weeks in.
 
Would like to be able to do a 2 mile walk on Christmas Day. But we’ll see how everything is feeling
Please do!
One month out!
Walking two miles throughout the day...but at once might be pushing it.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should...
I'm just a worry wart...don't want you causing yourself chronic problems.
 
I'm also a hiker and have had to be patient about extending the walks. I built up to 2 miles at about 9 weeks but then got caught out by something completely unexpected - sitting on hard restaurant chairs for festive meals. I woke up in significant pain last week and ended up seeing a GP who diagnosed bursitis and cautioned about prolonged sitting on hard surfaces. One week on it's much better but I now have to build up the walking again. Definitely two steps forward, one step back. Moral of the story - take a cushion if you go out to eat!
 
I must admit I’ve kept my outings fairly short so I don’t have to sit in one place too long
 
Last edited:
Aww, Jackie I'm sorry to hear you're struggling emotionally. This surgery hits many in an emotional way.
I can so relate! It can cause one to contemplate aging as well as dashed hopes and dreams.

I consoled myself with the fact that in the not so distant past, people weren't as fortunate as us and possibly lived out their days in a wheelchair. We're blessed in the fact we had a solution. I'd also try to look at it as many receive a more grim diagnosis than we did while standing in the doctor's office. Often times given no hope or any options. I'll admit it's hard to console oneself with what I've just mentioned when we're in the midst of negative feelings. I know myself, I felt like I went through a mourning of sorts in losing a body part I was born with. I know I'm not alone in my thinking but not all who feel this way care to admit it. The great news is that it will get better. You adjust because you have to. You move forward because you choose to.

You are still very early into recovery from a major surgery. That poor leg of yours suffered some trauma and will take awhile to heal. I've heard up to a year, sometimes even two years. But as time passes it only gets better and better. I'm still struggling with a few things at 6 mo post op. We all do. So patience is key but oh so hard at times.

Prayers for your comfort and peace of mind as you'll heal and move forward.
Warm wishes for a :merry christmas: and a year full of blessings in 2018!
@Jackie222
 
@Layla thank you. I do agree with what you say. I remember being told by my late husbands consultant that he had early onset Alzheimer’s. Being told (what I already knew) that I needed a new hip was nothing in comparison. But even with knowing that it doesn’t stop me feeling a bit sorry for myself. Although I sure this will pass - probably just in time to have the left one done :loll:
 
I am so sorry to hear about your husband, such a very sad loss.

I hear you on the possibility of an additional replacement @Jackie222. I can relate.
I'm sure it's in my future also. Humor has carried me through and I notice yours is still intact,
so that's a good thing :egypdance:
Pity parties allowed here....I've had a few of my own :bawl:
Hugs
 
Thank you @MammaT.
I’ve had pain for more years than I care to think about but it’s only over the last two years that it’s got dramatically worse. Just over 2 years ago I could walk over 12 miles, do the splits and was thinking about training to be a yoga teacher. (I could work through the pain). The changes hit me pretty badly emotionally and if I’m honest I still haven’t really come to terms with it. I miss my old self

Jackie222,
I can so totally relate to this part of your thread. My first hip went downhill so fast, it literally wiped out my life and my entire sense of my fit-self. My universe became so crippled and small that I felt I had almost no identity outside of my arthritis pain. I felt isolated and alone and hopeless. Had my first THR in late 2010 and I finally could feel hopeful again about creating and living a life I love. Within several months, I was back in yoga (albeit modifying to fit thr restrictions from my OS).

After at least 5 years of living fully and actively, my left hip began its gradual yet brutal descent into the pain abyss. Over the past two years, I witnessed the familiar trajectory of limited mobility, aching groin, and loss of range of motion. I knew exactly where this trifecta would take me if I didn’t intervene; no amount of wishful thinking would make this progression stop. 10 days ago, I had the that other problem-hip replaced. My recovery is going MUCH better with this replacement for several reasons—most of all because I was still fit and strong enough to come back from the surgery from a place of vigor rather than that of depressed, atrophied, demoralization. Please trust me when I say you WILL return to the life you love! We are modern miracles, my friend :)
Patrikya
 
@pkuznets thank you so much for your encouraging words. They really do help. Hopefully like yourself I’ll have a few good years before the next arthritic joint need replacing.
Glad to hear your second one went well. I wish you a speedy recovery
Jackie
 
Following your journey of recovery @Jackie222 especially seeing as we are a day apart! Patience is what I'm struggling the absolute most with but thank whomever rules the cosmos for BS and this bunch of hipsters! Haha No one here is short on encouragment and truth bombs! Hip Hip Hooray! Sending you hugs!!!
 
Hope you have a good day @Jackie222. A bit of self pity is pretty normal. As you get out and about more that will improve. In terms of hip number 2, you will recognize when it is going. Like @pkuznets says, you recognize the downward spiral. Once we know what we’re looking at, there is no need to let it get immobilizing.
 
Yesterday’s walk confirmed the benefits of THR as my right hip was great. Only pain was in my other joints but at totally manageable levels. I guess that’s one of the benefits of living with pain for so many years you know when it’s reached unacceptable levels.
I think what is really helping with my recovery is that I’m resting, with my leg elevated and ice, at times, after any activity whether it be a walk or doing the ironing. I mention ironing as it’s the one thing my husband refused to do!! The perching stool was brilliant.
 
Great job taking good care of yourself.
My ironing consists of throwing wrinkled item in dryer with damp cloth:loll:
That hip is good, but bone is forming and it's all that other stuff in that leg that got disturbed that needs time to settle out.
Hope your holiday is bright.:gbh:
 
Last edited:
Irons are for waffles. @Jackie222 yes it is wonderful to get mobility back. Two years ago I purchased a new mountain bike for exercise because of hip pain. It didn’t hurt to pedal but long walks were out. But soon I had lost so much movement I could no longer get a leg over the bike. I’ll be pedaling again this spring
:bicycle1:
 
@Gone again I relate to the bike. I am looking forward to getting my road bike off its hanger and back on the road. After I couldn't run marathons anymore, I could at least still do cycling events....but eventually that stopped when my hip wouldn't let me get on or off my bike-and being clipped in you need your agility otherwise you'll fall whenever you stop haha aaaaand..
that's what happened the last time I road. I came to the stop and couldn't get my foot out! So there I was stopped...balancing carefully.....and then I just tipped right over like a teapot! Hahaha
 
Well I did my 2 mile walk today, so I made it by Christmas. Didn’t do any other exercise mind you and have rested, elevated and iced since. Happy Christmas to all :tree lights:
 

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom