Hip Infection* Izabel, Walking on Sunshine

Lula Belle, now that IS as Southern as it gets...
My dad's name is Joe Bill, yes all together :umm:
I know Southern Bell...big deal when you actually had to dial a rotary phone.
Hope you have a good day.

Izabel, Walking on Sunshine My X-Rays show knee and hip prosthetics are perfectly in place. There are no 'holes' in my bones but they are still weak so I must continue with the Calcium/D3 and strengthen them with gentle exercise. My Surgeon got up from behind his desk and proceeded to demonstrate exercises ... this is for the knees because he said hips don't need exercise ... now where have I heard that before I ask myself? :scratch: He said it will take time. I walked in pushing my wheelchair as support ... thank you @Hoppy Nanny xx X-Rays show no infection. I should get blood results later today. I don't need to see him for six months ... unless I need to.

Now the not-so-good news ... my right knee is bone-on-bone on the outside and eventually ..... :cry: Hubby asked Partial or Total and he said he does not believe in Partial or Resurfacing as they are only temporary fixes which may last ten years! In the meantime he suggests I do gentle bends/stretches with it and avoid full pressure on it. Under no circumstances do squats ... again, where have I heard that? :scratch: He mentioned ROM (never heard him say that before) and he looked at me sitting and said I have perfect 120 and that is how it should be for young people and adults alike after TKR. He said this is the standard for USA and Europe but in Asia it is 150 because of how they squat/sit.

So, all in all, I am delighted to say the least, and now I must push myself that little bit more so I can walk properly again. :walking:

... and, to really make my day ... it is raining, the first for four months! On the downside we have lost power and my darling Hubby is making me a cup of tea (we have a gas hob/stovetop) to go with my chocolate-filled croissant, yum. I will post this when power is restored.

It is 8pm and power just came back. Hubby went and got fish and chips. Ate outside in the sunshine. :what: Now in, relaxing on bed with a rum and coke. Long day and I am tired. Will visit tomorrow with more information I may think of. So ...

Izabel, Walking on Sunshine Izzy xx

Izabel, Walking on Sunshine one and all. Following on from yesterday's post ...

Hubby asked Dr Pinto how was the best way for me to go up our individual steps around the house. Answer: handrails ... difficult with a 12 foot curved one to the lounge and a half moon shaped one into kitchen through arch and two outside to kitchen patio and front patio. Sigh, Hubby is pondering things!

Hubby also asked how I should go 'up and down steps'. I promptly said "up with the good, down with the bad" and Dr Pinto said "not necessarily". He got up again and proceeded to explain. When you go down a step, you should lead with your strongest leg, and when you go up you should also lead with your strongest. The reason being the lead leg in each instance is taking all the pressure and the other leg is just following behind.

Tips from Dr Antonio Pinto, Orthopedic Surgeon, Hospital Particular do Algarve for living with dodgy knees:
  • Gentle exercise frequently such as short walks, inside and outside. (no marathons nor football)
  • Whilst sitting, hold legs out in front parallel to floor, flex feet and push knees down, hold for a few seconds, repeat several times.
  • As seated but standing, hold leg up in front.
  • Standing, pull leg up behind bottom and hold for a few seconds.
  • Standing legs at hip level, perform gentle stretches to the left and right with flexing foot keeping knee straight.
  • Perform above standing exercises holding onto a back of sturdy chair or counter.
  • Never do squats, always bend from hip.
  • Maintain a healthy weight.
I know this is talking about knees on the hip forum, but many of us suffer with knee issues after hip ops. I will go over to the knee forum and copy these two posts.

Had more rain overnight, just grey now and drizzly and gardener has cancelled today and re-scheduled for next Saturday, which makes sense.

I was so tired yesterday, fell asleep at 10ish,had pee* at 1ish then slept like a log till 6ish but didn't get up till 8ish which is norm for us. :yawn:

Have lots of e-mails to do today as I have been holding off to write following yesterday;s visit. No blood results yet but our power, including phone (landline) and computer were non-functional.

* Pee in Portuguese is chi chi, ie, tenho que chi chi (I have to pee) pronounced ten-you ke she she). Poo is coco. So there is the Portuguese lesson for today. :heehee:

So, I will love you and leave you for now, wishing you ...

Thanks for the update...sounds like all in all things are great for your hip.
:fingersx: for great blood test results!
Hope the weekend is sunny and happy.:SUNsmile:

So glad you had a great report from the doctor.
Interesting exercises—thanks!
Ah, the good knee vs the bad knee. As my ligament sprain healed, mine seemed to be taking turns. Still do, especially on the stairs in the pool (varying heights). Makes sense about the leg strength.
So much of recovery (and life) is about really listening to the body, I find.

Hello Izzy! @Izabel

So very happy to read you had a good report from your doctor visit. He sounds like a wonderful man. Really appreciate your sharing the exercises he has shown you. Makes so much sense not to aggravate the knee. It takes so much abuse just from walking. Happy you got some much needed rain. We are on drought too. Trees really starting to show it. Keeping my fingers crossed for your bloodwork. Hope you have a lovely Sunday. :wave:

Izabel, Walking on Sunshine
A restful Sunday image for you @Izabel
From Maria Popova’s Brain Pickings Sunday e-newsletter (free). I believe she emigrated from Bulgaria to the US. Interesting blend of sciences and arts. She is establishing free poetry events in NYC, much as we used to enjoy in Montreal.

It seems you had a great visit with your doctor, Izabel.
You must have been relieved upon leaving. He sounds thorough and I like that he demonstrates things for you. Prayers all the blood results are within range. Hope you hear back soon.
Wishing you a lovely Monday!
@Izabel

Sorry @Izabel
Just catching up but glad to see that your doctors appointment went so very well.... and thanks for the knee exercises.. will give them a go pre op!!!

Haven’t been on BS as left my phone at daughters last week...only picked up yesterday!! I’ve been lost without it.

Sounds like you are moving on well Izzy darling... so pleased for you.

love & hugs
Chrissie xx [emoji3590][emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loved reading about your Dr appointment, you are keeping your chin up and progressing.. happy for you!:flwrysmile:

Awesome! AWESOME! So happy for you.
Thanks for flying by with the good news.
Sending love and a big hug! :loveshwr: :friends:
@Izabel

Afternoon all. just a quick fly by to say got my blood results through ... SED 6 CRP 3.8 :tada: ... I have never been so low! :yahoo:

Never been so high, by being so Low.:) :-) (:

Wonderful to hear. Hope you do something nice to celebrate.:cheers:

Izabel, Walking on Sunshine Had a lovely outing. Fish and chips for lunch done in beer batter. Owner/chef is Portuguese but great with British food. Rum and coke for me. It was quite warm even sitting in shade. Hubby having his afternoon snooze now ... these younger men!

Mmm, Mmm, Mmm...looks yummy, Izabel!
Glad you had a nice lunch out with friends. Nice way to start the weekend.
I hope yours is all you want it to be! :SUNsmile:
@Izabel

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017