Hip Infection* Izabel, Walking on Sunshine

Hi Izzy,

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:

Just catching up on your thread, then I must pop over and update mine. So pleased to hear that you think your piriformis issue has resolved. Hopefully it's gone for good but, just in case, I would recommend the acclaimed tennis ball rolling for pains in the butt! Note that I'm not referring to irritating acquaintances here! There's no need to lie on the floor, I was taught to do it leaning against a wall or door. A tennis ball will do just fine, I've also used a spiky massage ball. Might be worth trying (gently to start) just to see if you have any remaining tender spots that could do with stretching out. I'd suggest you combine with Jaycey's seated hamstring stretches.

I wish you a very Happy Christmas @Izabel, and continued improvement in 2020. x
 
[Bonesmart.org] Izabel, Walking on Sunshine Firstly,I hope all the Very Special Folk on here had a relaxing Christmas and didn't eat or drink TOO much! And I certainly hope there was lots of rest time and no ODIC participants!

I was VERY good. We had friends over Christmas Eve so Hubby served drinks and snacks. Christmas Day we had a delicious Chinese take-a-way we ate on the patio. Boxing Day (the 26th) we had a quiet day and I prepared a Hot German Potato Salad sitting on a bar stool and Hubby grilled Bratwurst. Today we meet friends for lunch and will sit in the sunshine ... supposed to be 20c/68f. :SUNsmile:

I am pleased I have positive news to report .
  • I got in and out of the tub :yes!:
  • I got in and out of my sports car :yes!:
  • I walked around the house with one crutch conquering the independent steps with ease :walking:
  • I danced (well shuffled). :egypdance: Our Christmas Eve visitor is a Dance Instructor and insisted I dance with her!!! She is 5'8" plus had 4-5in stillettos on and I said "but my head will be in your boobs" and she said "It doesn't matter as I don't have any!" ... which is true as she is a string bean. :heehee:
I therefore achieved my Christmas goals ... all done with caution I might add. I am still 'not there' as I have to control my balance and learn to walk with something in my left hand as I use the crutch in my right. I think it will be a while before I can walk unassisted ... but I WILL do it. Also, I have almost abolished the pain in the butt / thigh.

Sadly I do not have Phoenix in my possession yet. Hubby went back to the Post Office on Tuesday morning but there was no notification in the box and a big queue again. They were closed yesterday. We shall stop by today on the way to lunch, so fingers crossed.

So, I will get on with my morning ablutions and tarting myself up for today's outing and leave hoping you are all progressing and relaxing.

Sending love and hugs as always ...

[Bonesmart.org] Izabel, Walking on Sunshine Izzy xx
 
:happyfeet:This update has made me smile so big this morning.
Your perseverance and kindness to others make you special.
Our weather has been beautiful also, and it does warm my spirit.
Hope Phoenix roosts soon.

2020 will be a good year!:happydance:
 
Wonderful update @Izabel Your Christmas sounded perfect. Conquering the tub solo is such a fun milestone. Very pleased that you have gotten all over the place with one crutch!

Thank you so much for all the love and encouragement. I do feel very fortunate and grateful to be on the road to recovery.

Hope Phoenix arrives soon. :happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:
 
:presents-under-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon: Very nice update Izabel. And very cheerful. Let's learn to walk again together! I'm currently recovering from a dreadful shinbone fracture after falling over with my bicycle in October. Like after my hip replacement in 2015, I've got to learn to walk before I can run again. My walking is not bad although still a bit uneven, so I've been told. And I can cycle and swim.
You'll get there! :yay:You are so persevering. By the way - are you actually Portuguese? How come you write such marvellous English? Best wishes from Constanze
 
What a wonderful update, Izabel. All that great news of your progress, mixed in with beautiful Christmas wishes and your delightful humor made for a few lovely posts that warmed my heart. May it only continue to improve for you in the New Year. I hope you have a fabulous weekend!
@Izabel
 
[Bonesmart.org] Izabel, Walking on Sunshine @Constanze

My, you just cannot keep away from us, can you? :heehee:
Seriously, I am sorry to read about your misfortune :bicycle2: I am sure this is exceptionally difficult for you knowing your propensity for cycling and running. However, you are strong and will get through this with ease. I wish I had your stamina.

As for me ... I am Welsh and have lived in Wales, Canada (Montreal and Toronto), America (New York, Connecticut, South Carolina, Alabama), England and now Portugal for 18 years but having owned here for 30 years. A bit of a Nomad but also Woman of the World. My career was in Criminal Law and then Employment Law. My sister lived in Oldenburg from 1967-2014 (her death) so there is a German connection.

Thank you for your kind comments and I truly wish you a good recovery.

[Bonesmart.org] Izabel, Walking on Sunshine Izzy xx
 
Hello dear Friends

I am writing today because I would appreciate some thoughts from those who may know or can appreciate the situation.

As I have mentioned, and was delighted to report, I achieved my Christmas goals with glee and am now working on the next stage of my journey, that being to walk confidently and without assistance. As things are now, I go about the day with angst and with an ache from my butt through my thigh and around my knee, making me feel very unstable. Hubby says I have always been unstable so what's new! I appreciate his humour, but .... . Can this be because I have a slighter larger ball and cup, a 30cm stem and a slightly larger knee replacement and my muscles are struggling to accept these. I have also put on 25lbs since the last op which I desperately needed to do. Am I fighting this new 'fatty' addition to my body?

The whole situation is frustrating and demoralising to say the least. I can't talk to Hubby because he doesn't understand what it is like to go through three ops in a year plus the added infections. I appreciate going in through the same place three times might take longer to settle.

Sorry to be a Moaning Minnie but I do my best. Do I just keep on as I do and hope I loosen up soon. Does age hinder things?

It is sunny and warm here so I shall sit outside for a while and soak up some rays to lift my spirits. Thanks in advance for any morsels of help or pearls of wisdom.

Sending hugs to all and wishing a peaceful Sunday.

[Bonesmart.org] Izabel, Walking on Sunshine Izzy xx
 
Good morning Izzy @Izabel

I am so sorry to see you sad and can really relate to wondering if this is as good as it gets. :console2:

I think if you start reading your posts from November forward you will see you are gaining strength. Remembering all your firsts. Bathing in tub, walking down stairs without rails, walking on one crutch.

If this pain feels New please go see your OS. I know you were so tiny, so don’t think weigh gain has anything to do with it. Being at ideal weight gives you nutrition you need to soldier on.

Sending you lots of love and prayers Izzy. ❤️xxxxxxx Sarah
 
Sweet Sarah ... there you are giving support as you are recuperating yourself from your own demons, and doing admirably I must say. xx

No, it is not new, except the pain in the butt bit. My Surgeon and my Osteo/Physio say all is well, I just have years of issues to conquer that culminated in the latter years' hurdles. One of my problems is that I am a perfectionist. I finished school at age 14. My final reports all said I could have done better had I applied myself more. I still have these reports to remind me I can always do better, but find it difficult to better No1! I entered college age 15, first time co-ed in a new country and very daunting but did well learning new skills.

My problem is I feel like I should be able to do more, be more independent. So, maybe I should get my head in another arena and know I am doing well, proved by my recent achievements, and continue at the pace I am going knowing I will get there. I was never an active person, more of a crafty soul, so perhaps all this activity is testing me ... and it is! It is lovely outside but there is a sharp gusting breeze so I have opted to stay in and crochet more for charity, currently a shawl.

Thank you for listening to me ... it just helps getting it out!
[Bonesmart.org] Izabel, Walking on Sunshine Izzy xx
 
I admire you so much Izzy. Let it all out here. This is a safe spot. We love you and will be here every step of the way. Never tried crocheting, must be therapeutic to create something from nothing with your hands. Peace to you. Lots of xxxxxx.
 
Hello and must say that I loved reading your recent updates! Dancing and getting into the bath tub had to be such a boost to your morale!

I wonder, for balance and stability if you have continued to use your Tai Chi book for guidance? I recall you talking about that because you inspired me to purchase it, too. :)
Did it help you when you tried it? It's just a thought, but to me the moves seem helpful for regaining some of your proprioceptive spidey senses. If not an option, maybe it's time to enlist a good PT to help you get a feel for feeling more grounded in your navigations. Our proprioception is what helps us, when in the dark to remember where things are when we navigate our home, or how we can sense that we are raising our arm. It's key to our balance and after all that you've been I am not surprised that you feel a bit unsteady on your feet.

I agree with Fit4family, in reminding you at just how far you've progressed even since November ! It's frustrating but it's still true- recovery takes a loooong time for most of us.

You were in college at age 15? :bow: You continue to amaze me.

Happy New Year Izzy!
:happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:
 
Hello @Izabel,
I can assure you that this ache from the thigh and but is normal - I had that experience, too: First after hip replacement, because my muscle had atrophied due to non use because of arthritis pain. Then it happened again after my fall on my back at the swimming pool last year, and now - once again due to non-use because I wasn't allowed to bear weight on that leg for a few weeks. I think it's muscle soreness. It will definitely subside, as you use that muscle more frequently. The approach is to walk without walking aids only a few steps per day at first, and then increase the distance of walking unassisted gradually. Physiotherapy/gait training helped me as well. I'm not sure whether you can have (affordable) courses like that in your area. I had mine on prescription and had to pay only a very small contribution myself.

In addition, you can try light gymnastic exercises lying on your back. They don't hurt: Sliding the legs towards your but, or lifting up the but (this is called "Brücke" (bridge) in German. I hope this will help.

As in my case, your weight gain was probably necessary. Being underweight/underfeeding is not conducive to healing and regaining muscle strength. And no: Age is not a hindrance - you can strengthen your muscles at any age.

No you're right! I can't stay away from Bonesmart. You people are really friendly and you are from all over the world with different backgrounds. Your background, Izabel, is very interesting. You are multicultural and multilingual. That's what I'm trying to be. I'm a translator and studied English and French in Heidelberg. There, I met my English husband who was doing a course in German as a foreign language, also at Heidelberg University. I also learned Spanish 10 years ago and am struggling along with a Russian course at the moment. I haven't tried Portuguese yet.

It's a pleasure keeping in touch. Good luck with achieving your next goal! Constanze
 
Good Morning Beautiful Souls.jpeg ... I know I will try to be.

Sweet Sarah ... I have no words, only hugs, love and and admiration for you xxx

CricketHip. To be honest, I had slacked off the Tai Chi which I am now incorporating back into my regime. Proprioception ... a new word for me (I like to learn something new every day). We are not 'light' people and walk around mostly in dim light. Hubby has installed sensors in various places in the house ... when one enters the lounge, the kitchen, etc. I have many a time walked around in the dark touching walls or furniture for direction. You have given me some food for thought however, thank you.

Constanze, I completely agree with you regarding muscle weakness. My MRIs revealed muscle atrophy which was not surprising as I was having walking problems for a couple of years before my great misfortunes commencing October 2017. From having breast cancer in October 2013, my sister dying of cancer in May 2014, the breaking of my hip in December 2014, my Hubby's cancer in 2015, I became almost anorexic losing about 27kgs/60lbs going down to 51kgs/110lbs. I neither looked well nor felt well and Surgeon and Physio said I had to put weight on, which I have successfully and sensibly done. The first walking cane I bought was in January 2015.

I will continue walking the 3/4 steps a day without assistance and, funnily enough whilst awake in the night I decided to do the lying down exercises you mention. So, after having my morning hot chocolate (calcium boost for my Osteoporosis) I shall get on with gentle exercise.

Thank you all for your input which is invaluable to clear the head and get things in perspective.

In case I don't visit again in the next couple of days, I would like to wish you all a blessed and safe 2020.

NY-Fairy2.gif Izzy xx
 
Last edited:
Hi @Izabel
I am sending you good vibes for a happy, healthy, and hopeful New Year.
:roseshwr:
I'm soaking my black eyed peas for our traditional good luck meal of Hoppin John.
I hope this New Year will truly be a new year for you.
I hope you kiss the one who thinks you are wonderful, even if they don't always have all the answers...
I hope you continue your wonderful charitable gifts, read an amazing book, and always treat yourself well.

I hope you surprise yourself this New Year.
 
I'm soaking my black eyed peas for our traditional good luck meal of Hoppin John.

And I wish you luck and good fortune ... guess ya'll are having cornbread with it? I do a mean Mexican cornbread ... can have it all on it's own, well, with butter! Enjoy with your family. Thank you for all your support.

[Bonesmart.org] Izabel, Walking on Sunshine Izzy xx
 
[Bonesmart.org] Izabel, Walking on Sunshine It's a New Dawn, it's a New Day, it's a New Year, it's a New Decade. It is 2020, twenty twenty, vinte e vinte ... and I have been reflecting.

The past seven years have not been memorable, mostly medical misfortunes on my patch, then Hubby's cancer, then the death of my sister followed by the death of a long-time (45 years) friend plus the deaths of 5 further friends/acquaintances, the death of my 20 year old cat and two car accidents totaling the vehicles. That is enough in my books! Now Hubby starts this year off with Strep Throat so on throat spray and antibiotics and goes to Lisbon (2-1/2 hours by train) on Friday for his cancer checkup ... then THAT IS IT ... our life WILL begin again! I have a good man by my side and we are invincible. :yes!:

It is a beautiful day today starting at 9c/48f going to 17c/63f, a day full of sunshine, but Hubby will stay in bed late and I will crochet, exercise and watch TV. I like game shows, The Chase and Pointless in particular, also The Weakest Link. You learn so much ... yesterday I learned that the word struth / streuth emanated from God's Truth!

In the meantime, I would like to wish one and all a healthy, happy and peaceful year ahead. Please take care of yourselves and your loved ones.

[Bonesmart.org] Izabel, Walking on Sunshine Izzy xx
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom