Hip Infection* Izabel, Walking on Sunshine

Hello sweet Izzy, @Izabel

Tears reading your heart felt post. I can only imagine how hard it is to not be blue. You have been through so much. It’s only been four months since your last major surgery. Many people without our complications take a full year to completely heal.

I have started journaling my daily progress as my family and friends almost seem dismayed by my long recovery. I get it, they aren’t living it and all they hear is how amazing and easy hip replacements are. We know better. Add complications and healing bones around it all and well, you know all about that sweet friend. I am writing it all down, feels good to be completely real and not have to put on a stiff upper lip as I do for family. I am seeing small progress and hang on to it as it propels me forward. You are making huge strides. I’m guessing fear of falling plays a part. Sure does for me. My world changed in an instant after a wet produce floor. Will never have guard down again in any setting. Part of the journey I’m afraid.

Counter surfing really helps. As does briefly shifting weight from side to side while holding on to counter. Private message me any time. I am here for you sweet friend. I know you know that you are treasured by many of us here. Please feel my heart felt hug Izzy. Take care. You are so strong and courageous. xxxx Sarah
 
I guess that is where the old saying came from " Take it one step at a time"
You are and everyday it sounds as if you are making some new accomplishment a reality.
20 steps sounds pretty amazing!
Of course you are fearful with walking and balance but you are so pro active with the Tai Chi, etc. I stopped by your thread to tell you that I looked up that book and liked it enough to order it myself. thank you @Izabel
 
Aww sweet Izabel, it will come. You're not that far along from your latest surgery, but taking your
whole journey into consideration no one would blame you for having the blues now and then. You're slowly making strides, so there is progress. It's understandable you'd have the jitters navigating stairs. Who wouldn't after experiencing a fall.

I hope that you're able to plant your Geraniums and then maybe have one of your lovely dining experiences outdoors with hubby. Sending lots of love and hugs your way and wishes for the day to end on a happy peaceful note. :loveshwr: :console2:
@Izabel
 
Sweetheart... know when you are walking we would all love to be there trying to lift you up & watch you stride away...

Both you & Sarah need to know that venting on here is helpful to everyone... we all feel then that it’s a safe place... away from loved ones & friends... albeit caring & well meaning, but who haven’t a single clue what the recovery for you both must feel like...

It’s sad that we feel we must put on a brave face to encourage our contemporaries but we all do it!!!
But not in this ‘safe & lovely forum’..... we all know, in one way or another, how it is.

You are both so brave, courageous... you help & support others in need by your lovely comments [emoji3590][emoji3590]

Hold on... things will improve for you & we will be here clapping the loudest.. hoping you both have a good weekend ....

Sending lots of love & good wishes... Love Chrissie xx[emoji3590][emoji3590]




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
[Bonesmart.org] Izabel, Walking on Sunshine Peeps and trust you all had a good weekend. I have my positivity hat on this morning to go along with the sunshine. :SUNsmile: Your words of comfort really give a boost to my morale and I thank you with all my heart. I really cannot imagine life without you all hidden in my Notebook! :sos:

Oh Sarah, I am so sorry I brought you tears ... it was not my intention. xx But you and I know how different the broken bones scenario is to a medically induced condition ... did I word that correctly? I mean, we didn't have pain and issues before our mishaps but more than our fair share after!

I had a good weekend. Friday we went to the little tapas place nearby and sat under the fig trees having a drink and toasted sandwich (me cheese, tomato and rosemary ... tastes like a pizza). I came away with a free piece of homemade orange cake, yum. I have also come away with Coleus cuttings and a punnet of fresh picked strawberries and we have only been going there just over two months!

Saturday I spent a half hour in the sun transplanting my Geraniums. Yesterday Hubby grilled a spatchcock chicken (have you tried it yet Layla?) and I made a coleslaw ... my first culinary venture. :yahoo: However, I was not amused examining the kitchen arrangements since Hubby took over. There is about 20 feet of marble counters, 6 feet on a peninsula and 14in an L-shape ... well, there used to be ... Hubby has taken about a dozen condiments out of the double-tiered whirly thing and put them next to the hob, to the right of the hob is a stack of cat food, to the right of that a stack of ????, in front of the kettle/toaster 4 jars of unopened jams/pickles ... and so on! :flabber: There plenty of cupboards and a large pantry :scratch: :chinstroke: ... I won't mention the utensil/miscellaneous drawers :thud: and there are 8 of them! I know where I have to move my wheelchair to in the week because I can only stand for about 5 minutes at a time and this is a major project.

Any old how, it was a lovely weekend, each evening sitting out in the cool breeze enjoying the garden which took me 20 years to create. Today I am tackling my wardrobe again ... :whistle:

So, now that I have written a mini novel, I will love you and leave you sending healing wishes to those in need for a peaceful week.

[Bonesmart.org] Izabel, Walking on Sunshine Izzy xx
 
[Bonesmart.org] Izabel, Walking on Sunshine ... I had a dream ... that I was walking! So, today I will see how true that dream is. I will tell you a story ... for more than 25 years I had a dream a few times a year that I was trying to run and I couldn't because my leg would not function. Then I broke my leg in 2014 and I never had that dream again.

It is slightly overcast at the moment but it will be a beautiful day. Hubby has Physio this morning for a bad back. He is having dry needling and kinetic tape treatment plus exercises to perform (knees to chest, side to side rolls, etc). Hope it helps him as he does suffer but will not exercise, bless, he's not dedicated like me! :umm:

Nothing special planned for the weekend ... for me just thankful for being alive and enjoying my garden and hopefully improving my balance. I plan on making a sausagemeat and onion pie with sage and thyme tomorrow. Love that with creamy mashed potatoes, yum.

Sending hugs and kisses and wishing everyone a peaceful weekend.

[Bonesmart.org] Izabel, Walking on Sunshine Izzy xx
 
:hi: Izzy.
It is almost 4 months since your last revision procedure.
I know this has been a very long tedious recovery since October.
All the time of not weight bearing and having to wait has been hard on you and I think the strengthening and balance are definitely taking the time it takes.
Would love to see you walking by Christmas.
I will try to dream it too.:yes:
 
@Mojo333. It is 5 months on Monday! :thud: Yes, it has been a very tedious journey since October 2017.

I am trying not to make hard and fast goals in case I don't achieve them and get despondent ... I may be slow but I have high hopes and lots of willpower. :yes!:

Thanks for your encouragement my little Southern Belle.

[Bonesmart.org] Izabel, Walking on Sunshine Izzy xx
 
You aren't ever alone...you have so many supporters.
We are always on your side.

My son is in recovery and I have heard it often but I do love the Serenity Prayer
It helps me through tough times.
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference.
 
I meant to leave a tip for those suffering with their knees. You know those sexy stockings we have to initially wear? I have three pairs from my three hospitalisations, lucky me! :flabber: Well, I cut one in half and rather than it strangle my upper thigh I pull it up it just below mid thigh and it makes excellent support for my knee and calf. Perhaps this may help others.

[Bonesmart.org] Izabel, Walking on Sunshine Izzy xx
 
Last edited:
:hi: Happy Friday!
I love that I'm one of the friends you have hidden in your notebook. You're so adorable, Izabel. :loveshwr:
I have not tried spatchcock chicken, but I did watch a video on how to prepare it and I'm going to tell hubs to try it because he's the griller in our home. It's something I've never mastered and secretly don't care to as it gives me a break. Actually not much of a break though because I still have to come up with side dishes.

I had a good weekend. Friday we went to the little tapas place nearby and sat under the fig trees having a drink and toasted sandwich (me cheese, tomato and rosemary ... tastes like a pizza).

See...you even make eating what I'm assuming is a fancy grilled cheese sandwich sound romantic. :heehee:

I found your commentary on the dream you had a few times a year for 25 yrs interesting to say the least.
Given the reality of 2014, I love that you're now dreaming of walking again. May all your dreams come true!
Sending love, a warm hug and wishes for a perfect weekend. :friends:
@Izabel
 
[Bonesmart.org] Izabel, Walking on Sunshine de Portugal. It is a beautiful day here and I am full of the joys of Life!

Today is mt 5 month anniversary and I had a positive weekend. I am walking 50 steps with one arm crutch ... although I still feel steadier on my trusty walker which I use outside! Dreams DO come true! Saturday I made a sausage and onion pie (ready made pastry) for Saturday's dinner and a corned beef and onion pie for Sunday and peeled enough potatoes for mash for both days ... so Hubby had a break from chef duties. I had my wheelchair behind me in the kitchen so I could sit if needed (I have a nice big comfy cushion permanently on it). We have been eating dinner on the kitchen dining patio so it has been nice with views of my beautiful garden and the orange grove which borders the patio,

Of course, my left butt muscle now aches from all this activity ... but it is worth every moment. Today is practice,practice, practice .....

Chrissie, I laughed at "a little pocket dynamo"! I was 112lbs in hospital (55lbs less than I was before my problems) but with all my exercise (mostly pedaling) I now have thighs (18" up from 14") and calfs (and sadly a tummy) and now weigh 135lbs! [Bonesmart.org] Izabel, Walking on Sunshine So now the diet begins ... :heehee:

Layla, we get spatchcock chickens ready splayed here (and in the UK too I think). To be honest, I have Hubby then cut it in half then quarters so it can be cooked evenly. Yes, it is a grilled cheese done in a machine, which I have also but prefer to do them in a frying pan/skillet.

So, off I go to see how everyone is doing and leave you all with hugs and kisses from afar. Take care my special friends and have a peaceful week.

[Bonesmart.org] Izabel, Walking on Sunshine Izzy xx
 
What a lovely update sweet Izzy!! @Izabel ❤️

:yahoo:50 steps!!!! I am smiling ear to ear this morning. Progress is so sweet. Also happy to read you have put on some weight and strength in your legs. All wonderful news. There is something so satisfying about being able to prepare a lovely meal. I’m sure your husband appreciates your heroic efforts in the kitchen. Your menu always makes me hungry.

You paint such a serene view with your grove of orange trees. We will get there friend and the feeling will be so very sweet. Managing to sleep a bit better so feeling less sad. Making sleep my number one priority as I did in early recovery days. Thank you for being such a bright light in this journey. :SUNsmile: I cherish your friendship. xxxxx Sarah
 
50 steps! Well done. Love the cooking tips too. Have a lovely relaxing time and hope you continue to progress well.
 
Wonderful update Izzy! 50 steps no less!!
You have such good spirit. :SUNsmile:
 
Izzy! 50 steps is amazing! so, so pleased... and that orange grove brings such lovely memories of Portugal back to me... sounds idyllic.

So pleased that progress is good ... 135lbs sounds a good healthy weight.... I’m still on the diet.. stepping it up a notch now!

Much love Chrissie xx[emoji3590][emoji3590]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Happy Five Month Anniversary, sweet Izabel.
Woohoo! Fifty Steps! That's awesome!
I so love the way you describe your meals and the scenery. It always creates a beautiful visual.
The patio with views of the garden and orange grove. Yes, idyllic, just as Hoppy Nanny mentioned.
I'm sorry you're sore today, hopefully it eases soon. So happy for your progress though.
Big hugs and wishes for a lovely week! :loveshwr: :friends:
@Izabel
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom