THR It's over!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question and hope someone can shed some light for me. This afternoon I was sitting in a chair opening Christmas gifts when I had a burning type pain around my incision site. It would just be for a second. It happened several times while we were opening gifts. Later this evening it started again. Now, it hurts worse in just one small area of my incision. it's a sharp, quick pain that feels almost as if someone inserting a branding iron or something. Painful, burning sensation but only lasts a second. Is this normal or have I done something that I need to contact my OS about? Deb
 
Deb, that sounds very painful. Have you iced it? I had some weird pains, but nothing as acute as that.
 
Sounds like a nerve pain Deb-- I've experienced the same thing. Sissy is spot on with the ice. If it happens repeatedly, doesn't abate with rest and ice and is excruciating, or you hear/feel a pop, you should call. You are only three weeks out and weird stuff does happen: it is telling you to rest.
 
Hi Deb,

Hope your leg is feeling better. It does sound like nerve pain but I have no idea - I just say that because I have a large area on my left thigh that is numb, but at times I will get those burning, stabbing sensations and it lasts for just a minute - and I know that is nerve damage from when I was a kid.
 
Thanks, gang. Only felt it twice today and not as intense. I had stopped icing as I felt I no longer needed to. I think I start again for a while and keep an eye on it. If it gets worse or prolonged, I'll call my OS. Thanks, Deb :flwrysmile:
 
Those sharp pains on and around the incision line are usually the little tiny nerve endings making themselves known. Ice is good.

However, if you have Increased pain around the incision site, best to give your OS a call..
 
After having operations I found as the nerves are reconnecting, I find they sent me a sharp pain. I was told it means that you are healing however if it becomes real bad or fever around the incestion call the OS. take care. Tashia
 
:cheers2:
Have a great last 2012 weekend and everybody please stay safe and be smart on New Year's Eve! I care about you all and want us all to continue to grow together!
 
Hey Gang, I know it is still very early in my recovery (now 3 weeks since surgery) and I also know I get terribly impatient at times, BUT I still have some pain in my groin area. Not anything compared to before surgery but still some. I also get pains in my upper thighs in both legs more like muscle soreness. I also notice that after I sit for a while, I have to stand up and give my legs a chance to stretch a little before walking because they feel stiff. Is this normal and does it get better? Deb
 
:cheers2:
Have a great last 2012 weekend and everybody please stay safe and be smart on New Year's Eve! I care about you all and want us all to continue to grow together!
I want us all to recover together. "Grow?" I hope not.

I'm looking to "un-grow" by about 25 pounds.

And yes, Deb, the stiffness and muscle soreness do get better! Happy New Year to you and yours.
 
You know, the best thing that has happened to me through all of this is that I have lost over 10 pounds! I think the meds keep me from getting very hungry. Not complaing, I needed to lose 25 or 30 pounds and hope not to gain but what I have lost! Deb
 
DebB, I am 5 days behind you and it is the same for me when i stand after sitting for a while. I just figure it is part of the process. I had my last in home PT session today and she released me out patient PT next week. Do you have any pain down around your knee area?? I have some bruising down around there so i think most of my pain is contributed to that....
 
Badgerfan - I do have some knee pain in both knees. My left knee has a torn meniscus though so it will probably always have some pain off and on. I wasn't prescribed any PT, just sent home with exercises to do and to start riding a stationary bike at 3 weeks which I begin tomorrow. I probably really be complaining of aches and pains after that...lol! Deb
 
Deb, I bet you'll love the stationary bike. Real bike is even better. My hip feels wonderful after riding.
 
I do love the stationary bike. I feel it is already helping the residual pain in the groin area. I have a bike in the garage too. Can't wait for permission and pretty weather to take off on it. Deb
 
Well, it appears that I will be moving my return to work date up a week. I wasn't suppose to return until 1/21st but we are implementing a new computer program which I need to be involved in. It begins a week before my scheduled return so I guess I will need to return on 1/14th instead. My OS said he would release me to return but not to drive so I have to figure that part out. I normally only work 4 hours in the PM but I will need to attend meetings on the 15th/16th in the A.M. Perhaps I'll arrange my schedule the first week to work the AM's and leave at Noon. Not sure I want to put in a full 8 hour day yet. I must admit, I am a little anxious and scared about my return. Deb
 
:angel: Recovery has been A M A Z I N G! The first week was difficult with pain and dependency on my husband for a lot of things. I experienced the " the blues" a couple of times but the friends on here helped me get past that. I was able to get rid of the walker at 2 1/2 weeks and didn't need any other assisted device to get around. That is also about the time that I pulled back on my pain meds. I started taking over the counter ibuprofen then in the mornings and it usually did the trick. When I would overdo it and experienced a little more pain I would taken one of my prescribed hydroco/acetaminophen's. Biggest trick is just learning to listen to your body and to do what it tells you it needs...if your tired - rest, hurting - take pain meds, etc. Currently, I am going out and doing things with family and friends but knowing when to come home and quit for the day. I still take a hydroco at bedtime just to help me sleep. Please understand though that everyone's progress is different and I have been extremely lucky. I never stopped going or had to use a walker or cane before my surgery. I insisted on continuing to climb the stairs at work and just keep going. I think that kept my muschles strong and really helped with the recovery phase. Remember, take it slow and listen to you body. It will guide you and tell you what it can handle and when it is ready to move forward. Keep me posted on how you are doing. I am now here to encourage others and let everyone know that it is all worth it and things become so muc better. Hang there...I'll have you in my prayers for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery! Deb
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom