Guest viewing is limited

THR It's over!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Deb- Now that your surgery is over and you are recuperating so well, what items have been the ones you could not live without. I reading posts and as you would expect the concensus is all over the place. I want to be prepared but don't want to purchase foolish items. :thankyou:
 
I am getting..long shoehorn and sock aide. (Amazon). I have both a long reacher and short one. (long ones sometimes are too long for certain things). Also have a leg lifter (Amazon also)

I have also an electric lap blanket. Just like an electric blanket but not as big. I am always cold..figure I will be even more so after surgery. I keep a heating pad on me (xtra large size) and then the lap blanket. Rather do that then try to bundle up.

I too am looking for ideas. This is so different than preparing for knees.
 
Gosh Knitter, sounds like you have everything. I use the reacher or grabber more than anything. I also invested in a back scratcher and I have actually used it a number of times. Not only is it nice for hard to reach areas but the one I purchased has the scratcher part in the shape of a hand. I have actually used it to assist in getting my ankle socks put on (tried with a grabber for the longest and gave up. Tried the back scratcher and got them on right away.) Come to think of it, my back scratcher has the shoe horn on the other end. Hope this helps! Deb
 
Just a positive report to share...I am now 13 days post op. I have very little pain and have even been able to decrease my pain meds from every 4 hours to every 6 hours. I am now taking the 7.5 mg Hydroco during the day and the 10mg only at night to help with sleep. My biggest issue is trying to concentrate on walking without limping...both legs appear to be the same length but the surgical one seems to feel a little shorter when walking. I assume it is the muscles still tight. Oh, other issue is fatigue. I have cabin fever so bad that I sometimes ride short distances with my husband in the evening and wait for him in the car. I enjoy getting out but after a very short time I am ready to go back home and lay back down. I go for my first post op visit on Wednesday but will only be seeing the NP (nurse practitioner) then. Will keep you all posted and again, thank you all so much for your support. I couldn't have gotten through the first few post op days without you and the many wonderful suggestions that you all offered. Deb:spin:
 
DebB.

You are progressing so well..its exciting to watch.

nanal In addition to reachers etc I have appreciated a couple of pairs of fluffy socks with rubber bits on the bottom. Toasty warm, easy to put on and safe on tile surfaces. Plus for easy entering and exiting the car I put a plastic gabage bag on top of a cushion, which gives me both height and swivel ability. And I am thrilled that I arranged to get a temporary disability parking permit .. a tiny post hip surgery perk.
 
Knitter4444 .... That's me, practical Poppet.... [Bonesmart.org] It's over!!!!

Deb, you are doing great hon! The fatigue will improve, just give into it when it hits :)
 
Deb glad to hear the pain is lessening and being managed so well!
the fatigue will just take more time to improve, that's the one thing that
will always be there these early weeks to remind you of what you just
went thru!
keep up the great work!
 
Deb, the energy drain will just sneak up on you and then smack the snot out of you. You will know it when it hits you. But it does get better :) Hang in there girl...you are doing great.
 
Quick question...I can't tell how they closed my incision up. At first I thought I had staples but I don't see any now. The clear wrap is still over the incision and what appears to be scabbing so a little difficult to tell what is there. Anybody know what they usually use to close up with? I am wondering if I will have anything removed tomorrow at my first post op visit.
 
Deb, a lot of folks seem to have had their incisions glued shut. Thinking that if you don't have staples, then it is most likely glue. Hope so and then you have nothing to remove.
 
I had dissolvable stitches, they just cut the end knots off after 2 weeks and the stitches disappear on their own.
 
39 staples for me.. they don't hurt coming out :)
 
Just got back from 2 week post op visit. They removed the clear bandage. No staples, just glue. I can now sleep on my side with a pillow in between legs...can't wait! Still no driving for 4 more weeks...darn it! I was told to stay on the walker to prevent the limp. I asked about work and was told I could go back for light desk duty probably now but still no driving. That doesn't do me any good because I have to drive myself. The NP said it was probably better to work on balance and no limping before thinking about going back anyway. Oh well, slow and easy wins the race.
 
Side sleeping feels so good! Have a well-rested holiday Deb.
 
OK friends...don't lecture me about stupidity. I know I did way too much today. I went to the doc for 2 week post op. Afterwards I went out to lunch with my daughter and then to Sam's to pick up a few things. I had left the house around 11 AM and returned home about 4 PM. Layed down for about an hour until my husband came home and then went BACK to Sam's to get something I had forgotten. The first time I was in Sam's I used a skooter. The second time I walked through the store on my walker. Halfway through the store I felt like my leg muscles were getting sore. When I got back in the car I actually cried out of frustration. I had quit taking pain meds in the daytime 2 days ago. Feels so much better not being groggy. But when the pain hits again it really sucks! I actually felt like maybe I am NEVER going to get really free from pain this evening. Am I just pushing:bow: it too fast? The doctor's NP seemed pleased that I wasn't taking too much pain meds. I have to figure out the right "recipe" before I return to work next month. I don't want to spend my life in a chair watching the world go by. You must all think that I am crazy and sometimes I do too. I was so positive and feeling so good and now tonight I have cratered. Do I need to be locked up? Deb
 
Welcome to the ups and downs of our recovery! That's a long day this soon Deb,
and you body is screaming out! So now you know some limits right? use this as
a guide for the future, and maybe try some milder meds before an outing, and when
you get home till you build up some more tolerance for it.

You still have some time before work, and you may try to start increasing your
normal daytime routines to build up some stamina. Same with your PT,
maybe some small increases in the exercises to build up strength/stamina.
you will be fine. our bodies know us better than we do!!
 
Hi DebB.

'Am I just pushing:bow: it too fast?' - I guess you know what my answer is going to be - YES honey... slow down, you are not even 3 weeks post yet :)

Rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds as prescribed :)

p.s. I had to merge your new post/thread into your primary recovery thread. :) You will receive an alert to let you know :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom