Guest viewing is limited

THR It's over!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is good news on the cane issue. I would just have thought of use on the operated side but it certainly does make more sense what you said. Thanks for the information. You just never know what you will learn on this site- it is amazing 14 days and counting.
 
My PT told me another way to set the length of your cane is to take your height in inches and divide it by two....
 
Just remember, when you're walking your hand swings with the opposite leg---and that's when the cane needs to be touching the floor, when the operative leg is bearing weight.
 
DebB., I am just a few days behind you. My THR was 10 Dec. I stopped Vicodin New Year's Eve so I could have champagne. I take 12 hour Alleve for discomfort and the rare Vicodin at night if I am very sore. I officially went back to work Jan 2, but I am able to do it at home as I am a college professor and classes don't start until 14 Jan. I am on crutches and only 30% weight-bearing. My first followup is 15 Jan and I hope to go to one crutch or cane, depending on the xray result. I also hope to get the ok to drive. I had a total of 14 days of lovenox injections, and nothing now. Like you, I am very active and was at the gym the night before surgery working out. I am chomping at the bit to get the ok to start at least working upper body. I am going to ask the surgeon for a PT referral to help me start to get my lower body in shape again and to transition back to the gym.
 
Well Deb, you got some great advise on cane walking, but here they are again and remember heel to toe and take equal strides with your legs, maintaining good posture,
1) Hold the cane in the hand on your unaffected side so that it provides support to the opposite lower limb
2) Advance the cane simultaneously with the opposite affected lower limb
3) Lean your weight through the arm holding the cane as needed
4) Always have the unaffected lower limb assume the first full weight-bearing step on level surfaces
 
Thanks again to my trusted friends here at BS. Beth - I had just found the information regardig the chanting "heel, toe" last night. I found that when I do that the limp is completely gone...even without the cane. I realized that I have been stepping flat footed on the surgical leg which causes the limp. When I focus on the heel to toe exercise I walk just fine. Thanks for that advice. Gosh, I wish you guys all lived in my neighborhood! Deb:spin:
 
[Bonesmart.org] It's over!!!!
Amazing how such small things can make for such big improvements. Now it's a just a matter of practice, practice, practice.
 
Since people's bodies are not all proportioned the same, adjusting your cane length to half your height may not be accurate enough (although it might work for me). I find adjusting it to where the handle touches your wrist is good. But since the holes are an inch apart, you may not get it perfect.
 
If it hurts that much, you're doing too much. The pain does get better. I'm at 8 weeks and within the last 3 or 4 days the pain just let up tremendously. It's so hard watching the world go by but it's only temporary. Hang in there.
 
I have not purchased a regular cane yet. The limp seems to be better by just concentrating on the "heel, toe" exercise. I want to continue this a few days before I guy purchase another piece of equipment that I won't use very long. If it looks like I still need one in a few days, then I'll go get one. The stiffness when getting up seems a little better today too. That is about the only complaint I still have. I know it takes time but I wish the stiffness would just go A W A Y !!!! Deb
 
I am with you on the stiffness. It does sound like you are doing great though. I got my cane from amazon.com. It was only 15.00 and it comes in blue or pink. I didn't want the grey one. I had it within 2 days of ordering and it is really nice.

Hope your goes away and you don't need one. Glad you are doing well.
 
Thanks, Hipster! Good information about the cane. I love the colors! Today I am feeling less stiffness and less limping. We will continue to monitor. I really don't want to go back to work on a cane or limping. Sounds silly, but I have only been there 15 months and I don't want anyone to feel like they hired someone that is falling apart. When you hit your 50's you get self concious about that type of thing. Especially when the only other person in your department that is as old as you are is your boss! The people I work with are awesome but they still have to look out for what is best for the organization. They just recently "encouraged" someone to retire and he was having difficulty getting around and on a cane. That concerns me a bit. I want to be recognized as an asset and not a liability. Just one more reality check about getting older. Gotta be able to keep up with the youngsters! lol Deb:bicycle1:
 
Oh, I did find out one more good piece of information regarding my OS. He was rated one of the top OS's in the nation (not sure through which survey or organization but learned it through a friend who is a physician recruiter). She has access to all types of information on physicians. She actually works for a competetor and said she only wishes she could recruit him to her hospital system. His IQ is almost off the chart as a genius. He is so down to earth and kind though. He also pioneered the minimally invasive and P A T H procedures in Houston at the Texas Medical Center. I just wish I had known this information before the surgery so I could have been a little less nervous. He had come highly recommended and I do seem to be progressing at an amazing pace. I couldn't find anyone at the Medical Center that didn't have something good to say about him. He seems to be highly respected. Thank you God, for directing me to him! :angel: Deb
 
DebB. I had the top rated OS in the area and I was still nerves. I think this operation does have lot of unknown with it. Even if I had been there before. Do keep up the good work. I hadn't look at canes that way before. Thank you for the insight. Take care and keep up the good work. Tashia
 
For those of you that are following me...Next Friday, 1/18th I see my OS for my 6 week check up. Hope he releases me to drive. I also get an X-ray that day. I am so ready to quit be a patient and get back to taking care of patients. I do much better on the other side of this equation...lol! Deb :rotfl:
 
DebB. Is this telling me you are going back to work soon? This does take time. Patience is most important. Do take care and I do hope you can drive. Tashia
 
Today is the day...first day back at work since 12/5th. I'm only working 1 - 5 pm. Wish me luck...I hope all goes well. Deb
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom