Guest viewing is limited

THR It's over!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elosarabrab - Would love to. Send me a chat...I'd love to compare notes. Deb
 
Gosh, Deb, that is awfully soon. I think you'd be well justified to do 4 hours a day for at least the first week, and see how you feel. Taking care of that new hip needs to be Job One:)
 
Deb, that is great news! You didn't have a blood thinner following surgery, or were you allowed to take ibuprofen at the same time? When do you go back to work? So glad to hear that your recovery is going well. I am now able to do a lot of household chores as long as I don't overdo it. SO nice to feel normalcy returning!

Best wishes to you, Deb
 
You girls are such an inspiration to all of us who are January hippies. I believe that I will be on blood thinners for several weeks. This sort of bothers me but I know the benefits. It is just one of those underlying things that just makes me nevous. My Mom was on coumadin years ago and had some very bad situations as her blood got too thin. I guess that is what makes my mind very concerned.
 
You know, everyone said that coumadin (everyone being my sister, mainly, who is a nurse) is so terrible, but I didn't experience problems. However, I was never at a therapeutic level so that might be why. I do see the benefits as well, and my blood levels were monitored twice per week. I would think that would help determine whether you were getting too much and thus in danger of bleeding?
 
I was put on a 325x2 aspirin regimen for 6 weeks, no coumadin. No problems for me.
 
I am on coumadin but wasn't told I couldn't take ibuprofen. My levels are fine so I guess it hasn't affected anything. Yikes! Deb
 
For tho'se of you having surgery this month, don't be too concerned about the coumadin. That take your blood levels twice a week and really watch it to be sure you stay at the correct level. Other than the hastle of going for the labwork twice a week, I can't even tell I'm on coumadin. It really is no big deal since it is only temporary and watched so closely. Deb
 
They both work as blood thinners but I think the coumadin is a little more aggressive. Some of it may have to do with doctor's preference, amount of swelling you are experiencing, activity, etc. I've worked in healthcare for 22 years but I am not a nurse. Perhaps someone else can answer this better for us. Deb
 
And don't forget the injections. I had ten days of Lovenox....injected myself in the tummy. No big deal. Some people do a whole month. There's also a new pill out....can't remember the name now. My doc wanted me to use it, but it was way more expensive than the Lovenox. Plus it's quite new, and I decided I'd rather stick with what I already knew and had no problems with.

I would like to think the doctor takes various factors into consideration....age, past history, any risk factors....in deciding what to put us on. But if all things are equal, I suspect they each have their own favorites for their own reasons.

Sharon
 
Thanks for some many thoughts on the coumadin issue. I'm sure I will be fine. It is just one of the many things I can worry about. It seems like every morning that I wake up, I get this momentary panic syndrome of OMG. Suppose nerves can be a funny thing. Happy Friday to all my friends and supporters.
 
I am on 30 days of Tinzaparin injections in to my tummy. They only told me about that two days after my op. The nurse came in and said" You need this injection, you do it yourself oh and by the way its in your tummy and there are 30 of them.".......
When I recovered from the shock she showed me how to do it. It is easy and pain free. Luckily I have plenty of tummy to choose from. The nurse had a black sense of humour suggesting I could join the dots when I had enough of them.
 
Hi Deb, Happy New Year!!! and congratulations on your new hip!!! how are you doing? i have been following your post form memory i think you had anterior approach?, what is your pain level like now?
 
How is work going. You are elevating and icing right. I hope you are ok. Go slow. I know that you are back in work but don't overdue it. rest when you come home. Let us know how you are doing. Take Care Tashia
 
:flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: Everything is going great. I don't return to work until NEXT Monday, the 14th. I'm only going to work 4 hour A.M. on Monday/Tuesday because I have to attend meetings in the A.M. I normally work 4 hours in the PM so I'll do that Wednesday and Thursday. Friday I go see my OS and we will see how it goes from there. I think I can handle my regular schedule of 4 hours/day. Only problem is that my Director had mentioned wanting me to work more hours after the first of the year. I'll just have to tell her we need to take it slow the first few weeks and then we can talk about more time. She's easy to work with. I just wish I could get rid of the stiffness when I first stand up. I look like an old lady on the first few steps and then I walk it off. I still limp some though...my daughter said it just looks like my leg has some stiffness in it, not a really bad limp. I hate for them to see me still limping at work. I know this can take some time to get rid of but I feel like it has already been forever! My computer has been giving me some problems so if I don't respond to anyone for a couple of days, that's why. I'm having someone look at it tomorrow. Hang in there, my friends! Deb
 
Hi Deb, Stiffness when we first get up is definetly something we all seem to go through, but it get better and than disappears from what I've heard. My concern would be that if you are still limping in general, maybe you should be using a cane, as we need to be able to learn how to walk without a limp to keep our new hip and back strong.
 
Wow, Beth. That is definately food for thought. The only cane I have is a quad cane designed to use on the right side. I really don't like it. I'll check into getting a regular can...I'll try anything to help get rid of the limp. This is a stupid question but I've never had to use a cane before. Do you want to use it on the weak side or on the stronger side? My instinct tells me I need to lean on it on my right (surgical) leg. Deb :what:
 
You use it in the had opposite the operated side. For me it felt weird because I am right handed, but I needed to use it in the left hand. I got used to it, and it is more effective that way. If you google proper cane use, or something like that, you will get some good explanations. Good luck with the cane. It is amazing how such a little bit of support can really help the walking form.
 
Hi Deb, The quad cane can be used on either side. However, if you want a regular cane, you can pick up an adjustable cane at Walgreens or Walmart for under $30. To properly use the cane, it needs to be on the good side not the surgical side. When standing tall with arms at the side, adjust the cane height so that the handle is level with the wrist. The surgical leg should move forward with the cane. Hope that helps a bit. :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom