Guest viewing is limited

TKR It's now hubby's turn

Even if hubby likes to stay away from sweets, I have to say that a small container of little brownie chunks feel like such a treat when you have to take meds in the night. Unless there is a medical reason to not have sweets, this little indulgence should not harm him and actually can provide a mental boost in those early days of recovery. Even strong he-men need some pampering now and then. Otherwise….the healthy suggestions provided above are all good.
 
and actually can provide a mental boost in those early days of recovery
So true! During each of my early recoveries, when it seemed like there were meds every couple of hours, my husband set an alarm to give me my "3 o'clock pill" -- which was a chocolate treat!
 
These are all great ideas, thank you! :loveshwr:

@Layla , the chicken salad with crackers is a good idea, he does like that. He's not really into egg or tuna salad but I sure am. I'll be making a list of things to stock up on for next week.

Hubby is out today looking for a physical therapist. We had a place we went to last year; he for his back (pinched sciatic), me for some gluteal tendinopathy. When he called to try and schedule an appt with the gal he had previously (that he liked) she was booked out to the end of August. We have many others in the area, he's out checking them out. He seems to really think he needs to get in to PT in that first week because the doctor says he should and spelled it out in his post-op instructions with bold, capital letters. He's conflicted between doing what they tell him to do and listening to his wife who has done this TWICE. I'm encouraging him to try it his way and see how it goes. "Why is this doctor recommended so highly if he's wrong about the no pain no gain approach and wanting to schedule PT so soon?" I told him that this great doc and 99% of all PTs have never had a knee replacement themselves and really don't understand the recovery. I emailed him that article you posted, @benne68. I'm hoping he reads it.

5 days to go!
 
He seems to really think he needs to get in to PT in that first week because the doctor says he should and spelled it out in his post-op instructions with bold, capital letters. He's conflicted between doing what they tell him to do and listening to his wife who has done this TWICE.
I understand this to a point. I pretty much followed all that was recommended by my surgeon because I had confidence in him and felt if I didn't follow his protocol and something went wrong, I'd be upset with myself.
Give hubby time, maybe once he's in early recovery and dealing with some pain he'll decide it feels too early for PT. :fingersx:
Hopefully this isn't the case...but he could land in the ODIC early on if his PT is too aggressive, changing his mind about physical therapy altogether. Or realizing it's just too early. I'm guessing you've impressed upon him not to allow PT to push or force movement that hurts and that he can say, NO, or ask that an exercise that feels too difficult be modified. You've obviously learned a lot through two recoveries of your own to monitor him closely. :wink:

Great move on your part, Susie-Q, in emailing the article on the quiet approach to recovery over aggressive PT. Hopefully the OS reads the article and it makes an impression on him. It's difficult to imagine that this protocol won't catch on over time as the most sensible and productive way to recover from joint replacement.

Your last weekend before hubby's surgery. I hope you two enjoy it! :SUNsmile:
 
I'm guessing you've impressed upon him not to allow PT to push or force movement that hurts and that he can say, NO, or ask that an exercise that feels too difficult be modified.
Yes, I did.

Great move on your part, Susie-Q, in emailing the article on the quiet approach to recovery over aggressive PT. Hopefully the OS reads the article and it makes an impression on him.
When I said this I meant I emailed it to my husband, not the OS. (although that's a great idea) The better move might be giving a copy of the article to his PT. I'm backing off for now and letting things happen as they will. I've tried and said what I could but it seems to end up in an argument with hubby. He's aware of what I said and has said he will keep it in mind. Time will tell. :wink:

I don't think that first PT appt will be much more than an assessment to see where he's at (I hope). His next appt isn't until a week later (2 weeks post-op). His first post-op appt with the OS is 2 days later. He was worried that if he didn't have any PT appts prior to his post-op with the OS that the OS would not be happy. So at least he can feel good that he will have had 2 PT appts by then.

Counting the days and they are short now. We drove to the surgery center over the weekend and it took about 35 minutes. We will allow at least twice that for a weekday morning arrival time of 9:30am. We are not taking the freeway (it will be grid-locked) but the back roads. This was the route we took for our dry run. Hubby is getting a hair cut today and shopping for some foods he wants around for snacking, etc. He will install the elevated toilet seat tomorrow. Time is getting very short!
 
When I said this I meant I emailed it to my husband,
Ok, got it, lol. Hopefully he reads it and takes it to heart. :fingersx:

Only two days to go, I wish him comfort and hope he's able to get some sleep. You too, you need your energy to play nurse maid. :wink:

I'll be following with interest to see how long it takes hubs to realize you're right about all you've been sharing and cautioning him about. :thumb:
 
Best Wishes for hubby's surgery tomorrow! I hope its uneventful and his meds keep him comfortable.
Know that we're here for you if you ever need to vent :wink:
Guessing there may be a time or two...unless you're an -> :angel:
@Susie-Q
 
Back
Top Bottom