Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR It's finally time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope this does the trick for you and you can continue along a good recovery path.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
@Threads Thanks for keeping me on your mind :) I had a pretty good sleep - definitely took the pain meds around the clock. This surgery is much easier than the BTKR as I have use of my legs, can do heel slides pretty easily (as far as the bandages will allow) and can get up and down the stairs more easily. That said, I'm definitely taking it easy and it does hurt quite a bit if I don't take pain meds. I'm noticing the popping again today as I am walking, so that piece of it evidently didn't get solved. But, I'm ok with the popping - it was the big clunking that was an issue - and I hope with the scar tissue they removed from behind my kneecaps, that will be the end of the dreaded clunk.

My son has a soccer tournament this weekend - so my husband and son will be out most of the day. My middle son is here - still sleeping now - but can help me out as needed. I feel pretty good today though - I think my biggest complaint is my sore throat from the surgery!

Thanks @PolarBear60 for the kinds thoughts!!
 
Hope today went well and you are having a "good" night's sleep. Everyday will get better - you are on a roll now.

Think of me tomorrow. For the first time ever, I'm going to walk the 5K in the MS Walk. We've gone every year since our DIL was diagnosed but I've never been up to doing the full walk. Tomorrow is the day! She's planning to walk it as well. Luckily, she has the least aggressive form of the disease. I'll also be walking for a friend who has just started her "last chance" meds, and it wiped out her immune system before it started to rebuild it.

I'll touch base after I get home and am icing my knees ;-)
 
@Threads, good for you! I have no doubt you will finish the 5k. I had planned to walk one this past April, but then I started having problems with my knees. I hope to be able to do it soon though. I wish we lived closer to one another - and we could do one together! We may have to settle for our walk on the beach together someday!

I slept pretty well last night. I slept about 10 hours - but woke up every 3-4 hours or so. Similar to my BTKR. my biggest problem at night are the muscle spasms in my hamstrings, etc. Not anywhere as bad as post-BTKR, but same type of issues. I'm already able to roll on my side without being too uncomfortable, so I'm not stuck trying to sleep on my back. As much as I am uncomfortable, this recovery is so much easier than the replacements. I'm much less swollen and more mobile than the last surgery. I'm still spending my days taking it easy, elevating and icing. The heel slides are going pretty well - and while I don't have nearly the ROM that I had pre-surgery, it's much better than I thought it would be.

The surgery didn't seem to fix the popping issues I have with each step, but I'm hoping if I don't have the fluid/swelling/pain from before, I can eventually strengthen my knees and they will pop less. I took the tight wraps off my knees the morning (per dr order) and I'm pleased with how little swelling I see - I definitely have some - but nowhere near what I had post-BTKR.

I'll be waiting today for your 5k update!!
 
:sneaker:I was wondering is the popping sound normal, and when did it start?
 
@Bilbo I always had some minor popping which my doctor says is normal. My issue though is following some manual manipulation from my PT, it started to happened with every step - and the pop was bigger and more uncomfortable (more of a clunk). While some say this is normal, the amount of times it pops (with every step) and the degree of the pop, made me feel very awkward and unstable. This excessive popping started when I was about 5 or 6 months post BTKR. It does now feel more of a pop than a big clunk - so maybe I will have some improvement? My knee would get stuck too and then do a big clunk. I think that might actually be better now. I do find the popping very bothersome, so hopefully it will get better.
 
@ljrfrm - I have enjoyed reading your experience - I am to begin mine n 7/16. Scared a bit but you seem to have done pretty good. I have to tell you - I have two recliners - LOL..... My hubby and I were talking and we are going to put one upstairs in our bedroom as a lot of people say they have slept in their's and it was very comfortable for the first few weeks. I really don't want to stay downstairs while he is upstairs at night. He will never hear me if I needed him - even if I called his cell phone - he sleeps right through it..... Just getting our stuff ready. What type of ice machine do you have - I really am considering that as it sounds like it was very helpful...... He went off to Home Depot and is going to pick up the hand held shower device. I have a list of things to get so I probably should order them up so they get delivered on time - shower stool, toilet riser, non-slip bath mat. I am borrowing a walker and a cane - I have crutches. So hopefully I have everything I need..... Let me know about that ice machine... thanks so much.
 
I have the cryo-cuff they gave me at the hospital, but I'm debating the benefits of getting the powered portion that keeps cycling the cold water through the wrap. That would be ever so much more useful.
 
@iivesfam5 I'm glad my posts are helpful to you. That's great that you have two recliners. I'm so happy I bought my recliner before my surgery!! I was lucky and was able to sleep in my bed beginning on night #3 when I came home from the hospital. While I was comfortable during the day in my recliner, I think I really was able to sleep better in my own bed. But, I know that others couldn't and relied on their recliner for sleep. So, definitely try both and see which works for you. I was like you though - I wanted to be on the same level as my husband in case I needed anything.

I have a Polar Ice machine and I love it. I have used it so much over the last year. I would definitely recommend it if you are shopping for one. I bought mine from my OS office - and it was well worth the money. It sounds like you are well on your way to be prepared for your surgery. Good luck.

@PolarBear60 - As I mentioned above, I find my machine so helpful. My son used it too when he hurt himself - I'm definitely getting my money's worth.
 
Thank you @PolarBear60. I am trying to find the one that @ljrfrm used as it was one she said she could ice both her knees at the same time. THAT would be ideal.
 
@iivesfam5 My machine was sold with one ice pad and tube - then you can buy a splitter and another pad - so both knees can be iced at once. I know Amazon sells the machines - I got this particular model because of the convenience that the dr had it at his office - and because I knew it worked well (my son previously used a similar one).
 
@ljrfrm ok good to know. Do you use it at night? I have read so many people who are miserable at night. I am already going to have issues because I sleep on my tummy now. I cannot imagine sleeping on my back but I will do whatever I have to to be pain free...... Just was hunting and I found this - pricey for sure but if I know It is going to make me comfortable - I am all for it. https://www.polarproducts.com/polarshop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=286&idcategory=461
 
@iivesfam5 I did use the machine at night. I had a routine that I would go to sleep when it was on. I usually woke up sometime during the night and took the cuffs off when it was no longer cold anymore. Then I would bring it downstairs the next morning to ice again. I am also a tummy sleeper and was very concerned about getting comfortable. I found that I could use pillows to help me sleep on my side, and although I was somewhat twisted, I almost rolled over enough up top to feel like I was on my stomach a little.

I just looked at your link and that's pretty close to what my machine and splitters look like. That was probably only a little more money than I spent. It was a lot, but for me it was worth it - it's now seen me through two surgeries - and my son used it for his hip surgery. For me, it was money well spent. There might be a cheaper model that someone can recommend to you - not sure - but I know mine has been very helpful and I'm definitely glad I bought it.
 
@ljrfrm - it sure has been busy on your thread while I was out and about! I did the 5K but slower than the rest of our team, but that was fine - I did it. Five kilometres sounds much further than 3 miles! My knees have been a bit "lazier" the last week or so and the PT noticed some swelling on the outside of both knees. Overdoing it maybe ;-) I came home and iced and promptly fell asleep. I put my ice machine away about a month ago but rather than dig it up again, DH picked up a couple of bags of peas that will do fine for the occasional icing at this stage.

You are sounding a bit better today. Are you able to move around more easily? It sounds like the clunking is a thing of the past, thank goodness!!!

@iivesfam5 - I will go over and read your thread. I was very lucky in that I had @ljrfrm to "hold my hand" on my journey and also that I was able to go into a rehab hospital for 4 weeks after my BTKRs on November 12/14. Here a link to the machine I used https://www.breg.com/products/cold-therapy/devices/kodiak-cold-therapy and like @ljrfrm I got mine through my OS's office and bought a splitter and another pad. I'd read on the forum that people had frozen water bottles instead of using ice, and that's what we did when I got home. We froze 8 - 4 in the machine and 4 back in the freezer getting refrozen. We used less water that way and it worked like a charm.
 
@Threads I knew you'd finish it - great job!!! I had put my ice machine away also - and was using small ice packs with Velcro I bought on Amazon. I brought the machine back out though for this surgery. For some reason though - one side isn't getting as cold as it should. My husband is going to try to clean it out and hopefully get it working.

I'm very mobile compared to my last surgery. I can go up the stairs the "normal" way, although I do walk downstairs one leg at a time. Other than the day of surgery, I haven't used my cane. My ROM is definitely not at 130 like before the surgery, but it's not as bad as I was afraid it would be. I'm hoping the "clunking" is gone. I'm definitely still popping a lo which worries me because it feels so awkward - but hopefully it will improve over time. I am swollen, but not as much as I thought I would be. I definitely need to keep taking my pain meds - and when I do, I feel pretty good.
 
@ljrfrm - I hope you can get the ice machine to work properly. I'm not surprised you are swollen! Even though your surgery Friday was not as invasive as the BTKR, your OS was still poking around in there and stirring things up. Your ROM will be back at 130 as soon as you get the swelling down! That's awesome that you haven't needed your cane, just be careful. I don't notice the popping - unless I'm trying to, and don't hear it unless the house is quiet. I think your's will get less noticeable but I think I've read that it's with us to some degree, for quite a while. I'm glad the clunking seems to be a thing of the past - the way you describe it, it's almost like my right knee prior to surgery except without the noise ;-) I couldn't trust it when I was standing. The last week or so, I've been more tentative on the stairs - guess it's the swelling.

I wrote on iivesfam5’s thread. It looks like there are two upcoming BTKRs so thought that they might like input from experts like us ;-)

Have you got the barbecue out for the season yet? Not that you'll be cooking for Memorial Day but maybe someone can cook for you.
 
My pop comes with each step, and I take the stride and my leg straightens. So irritating.........But yes, so far at least it seems the big "clunk" that I had before is gone. I sure hope so at least.

The BBQ is out!! My husband wanted to BBQ with neighbors tomorrow - I told him I'm not sure if I'm up to it. Yes, I can sit with my legs up - but I just don't feel like socializing yet.......BUT, I told him he could do it and bring me the food, LOL. Mmmmmmm
 
That sounds like a plan - the neighbours would understand and it would feel like summer is really here! Good healing vibes for you and delicious BBQ food to speed your recovery! Just sit in your recliner and wait to be served!!! Hope you sleep better tonight.

Our little yard is too small for a BBQ, well not really but we gave it away during our vegetarian phase and can't be bothered to get another.
 
@ljrfrm
I'm glad the arthroscopies went well and seem to have helped. Keep on taking it easy!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom