Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR It's finally time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ljrfrm nothing is every too easy - LOL...... I am glad you guys have been sharing so freely - it makes me know what I am up against!! :loll::rofsign: Might as well laugh or I will just end up a nervous wreck!!! I called my OS today with a whole list of questions - playing telephone tag with the surgery coordinator...... I just found out that my short-term disability doesn't kick in for 14 days!!!! I guess I am using all my vacation time - darn!! I have 12 days.
 
@iivesfam5 My short term disability had a 20 day elimination - I had 17 days of leave saved up so three days were unpaid. I put in again for disability and hoped the last one would kick in again immediately - since it's the same surgery issues. Unfortunately, I was back to work for more the 60 days so this is a whole new case - and another 20 day elimination period. I wish now that I would have tried to go back on disability in January - but who knew I'd have these issues....plus, I don't know if they even would have approved it. But regardless, my disability won't help me unless I miss at least one month unpaid. So frustrating.......

Keep a list of your questions - between the OS and here on BS, you'll get them answered :)
 
@Threads Realized I didn't answer your icing question. After he told me to use moist heat, I asked him if he still wanted me to ice also. He said after I do PT or something, or if I go into work, after work I should ice. It would still help and be a good idea.
 
That's good to know, because the icing does give you some relief! :ice: I hope you are able to look after yourself tomorrow!
 
@ljrfrm - tomorrow's Friday and hopefully you have made it through the week with happier knees. Did you have to go and see your OS today, or were things better?

We're starting to get organized for our trip. We have to pack the van instead of just suitcases ;-) I'll be checking in when we have access to wi-fi.
 
@Threads I'm home today from work, nursing my sore knee. I ended up going back to my OS yesterday afternoon. When I was in this past Monday, he told me to come back yesterday if I wasn't better. The "golf ball" on my knee wasn't any better and was more painful so I went back in. He decided to drain it which was very painful. He got a lot of blood out of it, but no fluid. The good news was no pus either and he really doesn't believe that there is any infection. He wants me to finish the antibiotics in case though. He believes that what I'm dealing with is a hematoma since the lump was just filled with blood. He feels that it will hopefully clear on its own. My only other option he said was to return to the OR for him to insert a drain. Neither of us wanted that option. I have to return to see him on Tuesday. He moved the needle around inside of it to try to help break it up. So needless to say, I'm extremely sore today as the procedure was quite painful. I actually had to take two hydrocodones last night for the pain - and I have a feeling today might be an ice and pain pill kind of day as well.

As he was in the middle of draining my knee, I realized that yesterday was my 10 month BTKR anniversary - not where I expected to be when I was doing so well in December. I had a lot of relief after my surgery the other week - going down the stairs was less painful and I could just tell I had less fluid on my knees. Despite the surgery, I already felt better. I'm back to the same pain on my knees going down the stairs and getting up from a chair. I have to think that it's fluid back on my knee again already. I just don't know what else it would be. I'm still glad I had this second procedure - as I do feel that the scar tissue was causing my knee to feel like it was "catching". And, although I still have that annoying popping I hate when I walk, I don't have that deep clunk anymore.

I just have to remind myself that I will get through this and eventually feel better once again.
 
I thought I uploaded a photo but don't see it. Here it is again, hopefully it won't be on here twice. It's a photo of my right knee. You can see the lump on the outside portion of my knee, although the lump is bigger than it appears in the photo. The other two marble-sized lumps are two of the incisions.

[Bonesmart.org] It's finally time!!
 
I think we need to ask @Josephine for her opinion about your last two posts, and what might be happening with your knee.
 
@ljrfrm - I'm so sorry to hear that things didn't ease up as the week went along. I had my fingers crossed that the warm compresses would slowly reduce your lumps and golf ball. Try to look forward, because things will get better! We'll get our walk on the beach someday!!!

Thank goodness you have your pain meds to get you through this rough patch, hopefully Josephine can shed some light on your situation.

I hate to say this, but is it time for a second opinion?

Hugs,

:console2:
 
Well, I think I'm dealing with two different things. The lump is a complication from this last surgery and unrelated to the replacements. Then I have the issue with the pain I've been having with the replacements. I may at some point want another opinion on that, but I know I have such issues with IT band and hamstring tightness, and I just had the surgery to help with the scar tissue. So, I'd like to follow through with the PT and recommendations and see if I feel better from this last surgery (today is only 2 weeks so I'm still healing). If my issues continue, I am all for getting another opinion. I feel good that my doctor is on top of this complication though which is good.

Looking forward to our walk on the beach :)
 
:whistle::whistle:Keep us updated girlie!!! Two steps forward, one backward!!!
 
He got a lot of blood out of it, but no fluid.
Very often when a knee is aspirated, the fluid that comes out is either blood stained or so pink it looks like blood, but trust me, it is unlikely to be pure blood.
The lump is a complication from this last surgery
Save me some reading back and tell me what 'last surgery'?
So, I'd like to follow through with the PT and recommendations
I recommend you my recovery threads to see how little exercising I did!
First knee. Knee recovery - UK style
Second knee. Josephine's knee story and progress where I did even less!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Josephine - I had arthroscopic surgery on May 22nd to remove scar tissue that had built up under my knee cap that was causing me problems.

What I saw from the aspiration looked just like deep red blood and the OS told me he didn't get any fluid - just blood. Which was why he said this appears to be a hematoma. I expected it to be pinkish tinged like you described and was surprised myself with what I saw. I only know what he told me - he did send it off to pathology so I'll found out Tuesday more about it. One thing that maybe makes a difference - the area I'm talking about is not in the joint - it's on the side of my knee, in an area just under one of the arthroscopic incisions.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Have a relaxing weekend, sharing time with your recliner and supervising the work in the yard. I guess your cool drink will have to be a "virgin" for now. We head out Sunday morning, but I have a data plan on my iPad, so I'll be checking in. Wish you could meet us part way ;-)

Take care and take it easy!
 
@Threads Have an amazing trip! I also wish I could meet you halfway somewhere!! Would my recliner fit in your van????

Thanks for checking in on me!! I spent all day and will spend the whole weekend elevating and relaxing!! This is a bit enjoyable, especially the not making dinner part :)
 
One thing that maybe makes a difference - the area I'm talking about is not in the joint - it's on the side of my knee
That bulge will naturally occur if there is an excess of fluid in the joint because the capsule is baggy just there. And whether the joint has an effusion or not, from the skin to just inside the joint is always about 6-7mm thickness of skin, fat, a layer of fibrous tissue and capsule.
 
@ threads - here's your report I promised :)

I went back to my OS today. The hematoma isn't any better unfortunately and still quite painful. The pathology report from last week isn't back yet, but he still doesn't think there is any infection. He wants me to finish my antibiotics just in case though. He said that in many similar situations, he'd go ahead and put a drain in, but given my knee has been through so much trauma, we both decided that wait and see approach is better. My body should hopefully (although slowly) reabsorb it over time. There is always the chance of it creating an infection, so we are just keeping a close eye on everything.

We talked about the pain I have in both knees and options. At this point, I'm just going to continue to work with my new PT on trying to loosen my quads, hamstrings and IT bands which are so incredibly tight and painful and hope that if I can get that under control, it will help how I feel. My happy news is at PT I was measured at 128/0 and 131/0 which was great considering I'm only 2 weeks post-op and still swollen. So, really nothing new from today's visit - other than giving it all a little more time, since I'm so recently post-op and still need to heal.
 
@ljrfrm Thank you for taking the time to give me your news. I wish you had some instant answers, but in this journey - especially yours, there don't seem to be any. At least your OS is right with you and monitoring your situation. When do you see him again? Would going back to massage help loosen those muscles??

Great news about your ROM and extension. That's amazing considering what your knees have been through. It's wonderful that your new PT is so good and is helping you through this new stage.

My "news" is we are on the edge of the Rockies, in a campsite over looking a river and Three Bear Mountain. As I write this, I'm sitting in the van with me knees up with my bright blue ice "caps" sitting on my knees. DQ was very helpful in giving me a ziplock bag full of chipped ice. We've spent a lot of time in the van travelling the last 3 days. We go into Alberta as we cross the Rockies tomorrow, so hopefully we'll spend more time walking about. The temperature has been in the high 30's (100°F) since we left home, so not appealing to be out in the noonday sun - unless you are a mad dog or an Englishman ;-) Luckily, it's been cooling off at night. I'm getting a lot of knitting done as we drive, Doug loves driving and I can't talk him into knitting while I drive.

Thinking of you - take care!
 
@Threads I am still going for my massages, but although it helps, I feel it doesn't get deep enough. This PT seems to be able to get in there a bit more. I think maybe seeing both of them might help. My OS mentioned heat and ultrasound on the hematoma, so hoping that might help heal it also. I wore my compression sleeve on my right knee (the one that's more swollen and with the hematoma) overnight and although maybe it's a coincidence, I got my first full night's sleep since the hematoma appeared (usually I rolled on it and the pain would wake me up). I think the sleeve helped protect it.

The campsite sounds beautiful - and your adventure sounds so much better than my day of work!! Have fun!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom